Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Monday’s Software Changes & Upgrades

Monday’s software updates, including changes to our Photo Gallery, User Name Cards, and other changes & fixes can be accessed here: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...re-update-info. Thanks brad66 for creating the linked thread.
2 of 2 < >

Official Z06 Press Release, Reveal Pictures and Visualizer Access

See more
See less

​​​​​​​Just How Long Will It Be Until Chevy Makes The Corvette Electric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​​​​​​​Just How Long Will It Be Until Chevy Makes The Corvette Electric?

No earth-shattering news here, just some thought-provoking questions.

Just How Long Will It Be Until Chevy Makes The Corvette Electric?

BY JONATHAN LOPEZ
    — JAN 8, 2022

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-C8-Stingray-Coupe-Exterior-Torch-Red-Carbon-Flash-Corvette-logo-badge-001-720x340.jpg Views:	3 Size:	20.4 KB ID:	344806

Earlier this week, General Motors announced a bevy of battery-powered models in conjunction with the 2022 Consumer Electronics Show, including highlights like the 2024 Chevy Silverado EV, Chevy Equinox EV, Chevy Blazer EV, and Cadillac InnerSpace AV concept. With GM ramping up to release 30 new EV models globally by 2025, the entirety of the GM portfolio is poised to go all-electric, at least in the longterm. Naturally, enthusiasts want to know – just how long will it be until Chevy makes the Corvette electric as well?

Click image for larger version  Name:	2022-Chevrolet-C8-Corvette-Stingray-Coupe-Hypersonic-Gray-Metallic-GMA-Garage-Day-Exterior-005-front-1024x575.jpg Views:	3 Size:	148.3 KB ID:	344807
    From the off, we should point out a few things, starting with the obvious differences between nameplates like the Chevy Silverado and Chevy Corvette. For starters, the Silverado is GM’s best-selling vehicle – period. It’s also Chevy’s best-selling vehicle, with the Chevy Corvette selling just a fraction of what the Silverado sells. For reference, Chevy sold 115,376 units of the Silverado in Q4 of 2021, and 8,293 units of the Chevy Corvette during the same time period.

Then there’s the strong internal-combustion heritage of the Corvette. For nearly the entirety of the nameplate’s existence, the Chevy Corvette has offered impressive power (the early C1 models are an obvious exception) and a loud exhaust, two characteristics that will be very difficult to unhitch with regard to enthusiasts’ expectations. Would a Corvette electric vehicle have the same sort of appeal? Likely not.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2022-Chevrolet-C8-Corvette-Stingray-Coupe-Hypersonic-Gray-Metallic-GMA-Garage-Day-Exterior-022-rear-1024x575.jpg Views:	3 Size:	132.8 KB ID:	344808

Nevertheless, it seems as though an electrified Corvette is inevitable at this point. GM is going EV, and it’ll have to bring the Vette along for the ride.

So, when should we expect a Corvette electric vehicle? Well, considering the GM vehicle lifecycle typically runs about six years, the ninth-generation C9 Chevy Corvette is due out in 2026. That could be the generation where the Vette finally goes pure EV, at least as an option.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2022-Chevrolet-C8-Corvette-Stingray-Coupe-Hypersonic-Gray-Metallic-GMA-Garage-Day-Exterior-014-side-1024x575.jpg Views:	3 Size:	155.2 KB ID:	344809

In the meantime, the C8 Corvette is already pushing the nameplate towards battery power with two electrified models on the horizon, including the upcoming C8 E-Ray, which will mate the C8’s naturally aspirated 6.2L V8 LT2 gasoline engine with a hybrid electric system. The E-Ray will arrive as an indirect replacement for the Grand Sport, which won’t be part of the C8 lineup, thus slotting the E-Ray between the C8 Stingray and the new C8 Z06.

Then we have the C8 Corvette Zora, which will mate the twin-turbo 5.5L V8 LT7 from the C8 ZR1 with a new hybrid electric system, resulting in a world-churning 1,000 horsepower and 1,000 pound-feet of torque. Named after the “father” of the Corvette, Zora Arkus-Duntov, the new C8 Zora will slot in as the range-topper of the series.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-Chevrolet-Corvette-C8-Z06-Convertible-3LZ-Amplify-Orange-SEMA-2021-Exterior-012-headlights-1024x683.jpg Views:	3 Size:	70.1 KB ID:	344810

While purists will undoubtedly rage at the though of a Corvette electric vehicle, the adrenaline factor will surely be on point, as evidenced by the seemingly unending rise in power levels and performance observed with subsequent eighth-generation C8 releases. However, will it be enough to win over those enthusiasts with gasoline flowing in their veins? That remains to be seen.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/01...ette-electric/
    Shepherd777
    Sr. Hybrid/EV Special Contributor & Patron
    Last edited by Shepherd777; 01-08-2022, 10:05 AM.
    Bob Sliwa
    "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
    Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
    Ludicrous Speed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
    2022-2023? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

As you noted, questions but no answers and GMA is wrong in their speculation that the last year of the C8 is 2026. With all the C8 versions yet to be shared, the initialinternal GM schedule (established before the strike, before the main initial Covid shutdown, before subsequent Covid related parts supplier chain delivery issues, and now a tornado, was the the C9 would start in 2028.

How that changes, if by any amount, is yet unknown.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I'm thinking the hybrid e-Ray will be here sooner than most think because of the political pressure to move towards electric.... While a hybrid is only a token step in that direction, it will be a major talking point and the marketing group will be challenged to get the most possible press from that move. In my opinion it will be here very shortly after the release of the Z06.
      2020 HTC Torch Red with lots of goodies. Built in September. Museum Delivered in October......

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur, Chevy SSr

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        As you noted, questions but no answers and GMA is wrong in their speculation that the last year of the C8 is 2026. With all the C8 versions yet to be shared, the initialinternal GM schedule (established before the strike, before the main initial Covid shutdown, before subsequent Covid related parts supplier chain delivery issues, and now a tornado, was the the C9 would start in 2028.

How that changes, if by any amount, is yet unknown.
        The timing sounded suspect to me when I read it, as it contradicted your previous forum posts regarding possible C9 release dates.

I guess MECF is really the authority!
        Bob Sliwa
        "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
        Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
        Ludicrous Speed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
        2022-2023? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

Comment

I think it's unlikely the C9 will debut as early as 2026 if the leaks about future models are true. I have read that the C8 was originally planned for a 7 year model run, but delays (strike, COVID) and production shortfalls will push that out. With the Z06 coming for the 2023 MY, that probably means E-Ray not before 2024, and ZR1 / Zora probably not before 2026.

For the C7, the Z06 came out in MY 2, the GS in MY 4 (2017), the ZR-1 in MY 6 (2019). As long as demand for the C8 continues to be strong, GM will want to amortize the development cost over as long a period as possible.

For the C8, the Z06 is coming out in MY4. The GS typically is released only when demand for the base car and Z06 starts to slide. Given strong demand for the Stingray and Z06, GM may decide to wait until 2025 to add a 3rd model (E-Ray) to the production line, pushing the ZR-1 to 2026 or later. The only reason I see GM putting the E-Ray into production earlier than that is to promote the transition to EVs.

For the C9 to debut as early as 2026 would mean GM decided to kill the ZR-1 & Zora.

As I've posted before: GM Authority is neither GM nor an authority.
          meyerweb
          Forum Founder, Sr. Content Contributor & Patron
          Last edited by meyerweb; 01-08-2022, 01:53 PM.
          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Seems to me, instead of a conventional hybrid which relies on battery/electric power for low speed maneuvers, a Corvette hybrid should store only a little energy in a high voltage capacitor, and use it to boost horsepower and torque when maximum performance is demanded a few minutes at a time..

who wants a Corvette that prioritizes running on electricity, and lugs around a big battery? Not me.
            Expected build - 2022 HTC 2LT Z51
            Front lift, mag ride
            black exterior, adrenaline red interior, bright red calipers

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
              Seems to me, instead of a conventional hybrid which relies on battery/electric power for low speed maneuvers, a Corvette hybrid should store only a little energy in a high voltage capacitor, and use it to boost horsepower and torque when maximum performance is demanded a few minutes at a time..

who wants a Corvette that prioritizes running on electricity, and lugs around a big battery? Not me.
              I think that like Ferrari's hybrids, the battery pack will be small and the electric motor(s) used to increase performance, not fuel economy.
              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Z06 = 2023 MY
                E-Ray = 2025 MY
                ZR1 = 2027 MY
                Zora = 2029 MY

That should mean the C9 starts in 3031 +/- a year. That's a good long run for the C8, and gives a couple of years for each new model. Hopefully by then battery tech will improve enough by then to make a battery powered sports car that really works.

Comment

Originally posted by MadScientist View Post
                  Z06 = 2023 MY
                  E-Ray = 2025 MY
                  ZR1 = 2027 MY
                  Zora = 2029 MY

That should mean the C9 starts in 3031 +/- a year. That's a good long run for the C8, and gives a couple of years for each new model. Hopefully by then battery tech will improve enough by then to make a battery powered sports car that really works.
                  Well… if it’s “3031”, then I guess all of us can rest assured that there will be plenty of Z06s produced. 😀

Comment

Corvette engineers probably have the all electric corvette on the drawing boards etc but for as long as there consumer demand the corvette c8 will remain as is. I wouldnt be surprised if the c8 chassis couldnt be used as is for an all electric corvette.

I dont expect and its just my opinion that the all electric corvette will be a new platform.

the battery will go in the central tunnel and by then the power density that will be all the space corvette engineers need.

small electric motors at each corner of the vehicle should be easy.

im sure it will out accelerate the fabulous z06 with ease.

solid state batterys are not that far off. Toyota has announced it will use solid state batteries in 2 to 3 years beginning with its hybrid vehicles.

im sure GM battery technology is the best in the world

Comment

I'd be very surprised if they used the same chassis on the C9. The C8 is designed around a big V8. To get the best balance, handling and performance, they will have to design the C9 chassis around batteries and multiple electric motors. Plus after 10+ years, they will want a new look.

Comment

I would bet EV's will be pushed off farther into the future. Too many issues with supply chain, grid problems, battery materials mining, fires, charge stations, Etc. Oh did we mention taking a Mortgage against your home if your EV battery takes a dump after warranty is expired ?
                        Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

GM has a money machine in the c8. Going to 2028 at a minimum makes sense. Even if gas price jumps to $5 or $6 a gallon in a couple years, E-ray demand should remain strong and ZR1 buyers probably aren't going to be discouraged by high gas prices if it is twin-turbo or it is the LT6 + battery FWD.

The longer they can delay the C9, the better it can be. BEV technology is progressing steadily; an extra year or two for development and refinement is a good thing.
                          2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

I’ve just read about how an “older” Tesla S had to have the battery replaced. It’s cost was a mere $22,000, or 1/4 the cost of an average C8, which i’m sure is simple chump change for the average EV purchaser. (Exaggerated). Instead, it’s owner loaded it up with explosives, and blew it up. Cheaper than a battery I guess. 🤷‍♂️
                            07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 03/06/21 Status 3300 (TPW 03/22/21); 03/16/21 Status 3400; 03/22/21 Status 3800; 03/23/21 Status 4B00; 03/26/21 Status 4D00: Status 4200; 04/02/21; 04/06/21 Status 5000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

”I’m not the best in town, but I’m the best, until the best comes around“

Comment

I believe those who are hung up on the Grand Sport (GS) and its timing and holding that to the E-Ray have it all wrong. The GS (my GS) is over—let it go BUT hold on to it if you have one, for it’s a classic in the making. Popper’s (GM) got a brand-new bag; the birth of a new creature of its own—the E-Ray. There is nothing to compare her to, she’s new, not an upgrade.

I believe the E-Ray does not sit between the Stingray and the Z06; she’s an upper tier on the totem pole; a superior product just as the ZR1 will be superior to her and the Zora will be superior to the ZR1. Chances are, one or two Z06ers won’t ever admit to the possibility that GM had the cojones to even think about surpassing the Z06 with a brand-new baby—how dare they do such a thing!

Remember the hundreds crying the blues over the taillights, “I’ll never buy another Vette with those Camaro lookalike bulbs.” They probably were first inline to buy the C7 while at the same time grinding and gnashing of their teeth; eventually settled down and accepted GM’s bold move. One must realize that there’s always something badder than the current X; X being anything: coffee, wine, tires, cell phone, bulbs, cars—you feel me?

I’m 37 on Criswell’s E-Ray list and 4 on their Silverado EV First Edition RST list; also on their ZR1 and C9 list—4 Corvettes is where I draw the line.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X