Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

BGA Status As Best As We Can Conjecture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BGA Status As Best As We Can Conjecture

BGA’s Current Production Level

This is purely a speculation thread, theorizing what COULD be happening that resulted in BGA yesterday making 137 C8’s instead of roughly the 180 daily, full production level. Coincidentally that 137 made is the exact number that were made the last day before BGA shut down before Christmas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	49ABAF32-5CBE-4CF1-9707-288C3B93804F.jpg
Views:	2010
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	343840

So many possibilities about their not reaching their typical 180/day production “goal” rate. Let’s start but first repeat that this is merely “thinking out loud” as to what COULD be happening within BGA. And of course it could be any partial combination of the following possibilities…

*As this is the new calendar year, perhaps some Federal reporting requirement changes went into effect and there were initial, start-of-day work day assembly team meetings to explain and insure that those items are from now forward properly accounted for, documented, etc.

*There are some new phsycial component changes that were either mandated starting this calendar year or GM decided to sub-Rosa implement them some new model year differences, e.g., “running model year changes” that are almost always never publicly shared.

*GM is trying to catch up on lost Z06 CTF production due to the tornado. As they need to get the massive amount of street testing miles on the Z06 CTF’s before they start customer cars, and as they are behind in producing enough of them so far, and still quite far from Z06 “production ready certification,” perhaps they are building them quite a few of them at this time.

Any doubt that they do not yet have enough to CTF into the hands of their top Corvette teams members who typically get them earlier on, was Harlan’s Christmas week driving in the snow picture showing him driving his Stingray instead of his expected CTF Z06.

*If so, might they be also learning now whether two Z06’s can be built back to back on the assembly line, or only 2 out of 5 (as it was at the end of the C7 generation), or some other ratio?? That integration learning has to be determined before 2023 customer car production starts. We remember that through the C7 generation no two convertibles could be made back to back, though for C8’s that is no longer an issue. Each generation, and especially as more models get added/integrated into has some of these production line assembling realities.

I coincidentally happened to be there for a special BGA tour in April, 2014 when this was being initially done for C7 Z06 integration. The line had four Z06’s in a row when the line stopped for a couple of minutes. I was standing right next to the first of the four of them. A line worker came over to me and said, “today we are learning how we can intermix the Z06 into line, and this is far from the first line stoppage we have had today. And it sure won’t be the last.” Then the line restarted. The next morning when I was back in the plant but then walking by the end of the line’s “repair/fix it” area, three of the four Z06’s were there for something they had wrong. I saw for example on one of them it had the red Stingray taillights instead of the clear lenses the rest of them had. Never learned what was wrong with the other two Z06’s. Needless to say they never tried to run four Z06’s back to back again.

*Months ago BGA had scheduled some equipment maintenance and perhaps also equipment change-outs during the typical Christmas/New Years vacation (typically done then done by the skilled trades workers and perhaps some outside contractors). A birdie suggested that while they made a miraculous recovery between the Dec 11th tornado and production partial restart on Tuesday, December 21st, there were still some temporary fixes in place and consequently the skilled trades and/or contractors would be wrapping up those things during the December 26th-30th scheduled shutdown. With the secondary consequence of their instead needing to get the repairs completed instead those pre-tornado scheduled plant upgrades during that vacation shut down, perhaps some are still needed and dragged over, e.g., are yet needing to be done this week — with plant reduced daily production for a short term? [Or was yesterday the conclusion of the reduced level production?]

What is happening, whether it is still tornado consequence fallout, stepped up

Z06 CTF production or whatever, just as we marveled at BGA’s amazingly quick tornado recovery, they will move through this expeditiously. We are just sideline fanboys and fangirls wondering…
    Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Just an added comment, many GM plants will utilize the vacation shutdowns for installing new equipment. It's certainly very possible that BG might have been planning on installing some new (Z06) equipment and got further behind when the plant was shut down after the tornadoes had damaged the plant. They certainly could be trying to install some equipment on the 3rd (skilled trades) shift.
    Marc

Comment

185 new C8’s built yesterday. Sometimes hoping and reality meet. In the near end of this thread I wrote yesterday..

“Or was yesterday the conclusion of the reduced level production?”

Nicely it was. And might that also mean one or more of the following very good things:

A) More tornado induced damage was fixed (if there is any left to fix)?

B) They made more CTF Z06’s so that the 300,000 street miles needed for production certification will become closer and sooner?

C) Adjustments to new-for-2022 calendar year procedures/processes are now in the rear view mirror?

We will probably never know which of these if any caused the last three days, two-shifts running yet averaging just 139 C8’s per day, but to say it out loud, we are **** happy to see 185 produced yesterday for so many reasons!

As always, thanks to our inside “birdie” for chirping to us this daily production information. You are a great asset!
      Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

A lot of good information and interesting to read. Hopefully it will make some think twice before jumping on the negative band wagon because production wasn't up to the numbers they felt needed to be met. These workers at the plant have gone thru more disastrous conditions and family turmoil than most of us can imagine. They need to be admired and praised for their work and not belittled for things out of their control. I for one am eternally grateful for how far they have come and done in such a short time. I will be proud to finally get my new C8 when it is built by people making my dream come thru during their trying times. Tomg

Comment

John, you mentioned the ZO6 with 'clear' tail light lens as opposed to the 'red' Stingray's. Is this a feature I must have missed in the ZO6 pictures I've seen, and something we should expect on the ZO6?

Comment

No, at least not shown to us yet but as changing out taillights later on all Z06’s would be super easy; all Z06’s we have so far seen are “pre-production, subject to change,” so might that be a surprise for us later? Say at the NCM Bash?

Picture credit to Andi Hedrick: Road&Track
            Click image for larger version  Name:	F64AB094-6F74-4786-8494-BEEA2812F7E4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	286.8 KB ID:	344001

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
            Working...
            X