Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Monday’s Software Changes & Upgrades

Monday’s software updates, including changes to our Photo Gallery, User Name Cards, and other changes & fixes can be accessed here: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...re-update-info. Thanks brad66 for creating the linked thread.
2 of 2 < >

Official Z06 Press Release, Reveal Pictures and Visualizer Access

See more
See less

C8 Aftermarket exhausts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8 Aftermarket exhausts

Is there any aftermarket exhaust that does not cause the "check engine" light to come on? I would like to know of any MECF who installed it, loves its sound, and has not had a single issue afterwards.

lots of people like Borla with few issues. They should be good to go since GM will be offering them as a dealer installed accressory.

Comment

I've got the Borla S exhaust. LOVE the sound, and no problems with the CEL or any associated items along with it.
      Rapid Blue 3LT, HTO Tension Blue, Z51, 5ZZ, E60, ZZ3, ZYC, FE4, J6N, FA5, Q8Q, SHW, VJR, C2Q, R8C

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will wait until I read somewhere that GM will be installing them as a dealer installed accessory!

Comment

Originally posted by rrigia View Post
          Thanks for the info. I will wait until I read somewhere that GM will be installing them as a dealer installed accessory!

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2021...e-c8-corvette/

Comment

rrigia, I was also worried about the stories of throwing hard codes or soft codes. Everyone I know has had this issue, if they messed with the exhaust valve controllers while changing their exhaust system. I went to my Chevy Service Manager and asked about a valve re-flash just in case I needed it and he thought I wanted a custom tune. He was clueless and this further raised my concerns. My friends don't seem to be bothered by the soft codes, but I am an OCD engineer, and the dash warnings would drive me crazy.

So, I went a different way and could not be happier. As the catalytic converters are much more restrictive than the factory exhaust, I chose to switch out the factory cats to high flow sport cats. This was also about $1500 less than an exhaust system with valves.

There were no code issues at all, and the sound is amazing!! The engine revs much quicker now due to the reduction in air flow restriction. I also added a carbon fiber dual filter air intake system at the same time which also helped with air flow.

The other great benefit was I put them all in through the back hatch. I didn't need to remove the exhaust system or the rear panel on the car. Just removed the air filter cover panel and went in through there. I added some pics below for reference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	342933 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	342934

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	342932

I hope this helps you out with your decision by giving you an alternative solution. Happy Holidays!!!
            Attached Files

Comment

The cats are a great option. I just worry about voiding your factory warranty

Comment

yes, the Borla system is absolutely what I am going to go to. And I will be having a Chevrolet tech install it. I was thrilled when the official GM accessory news came out, as I have been hearing about CEL's if the re-flash is not performed or performed correctly. The service managers at two local dealers had no idea what I was talking about regarding re-flash after Borla installation, even when I referred them to the GM document number. I hope the GM accessory designation will force dealers to "own" the installation and proper operation aspect.
                2LT z51 coupe, Red Mist, mag ride, front lift, NCM delivery, etc.
                Ordered 7/11/20, 2000= 3/18/21, 3000=3/24/21, TPW=7/5/21, Built=7/8/21, NCM delivery=7/22/21

2004 Z06, machine silver
                2022 Porsche Macan GTS on order
                2016 Ducati xDiavel S, black
                2016 Can Am Spyder F-3, pearl white

Comment

MarkSX714
                  Contributing Member
                  MarkSX714 - do the valves on the exhaust still work? I'm guessing with that CF airbox your total cost may be the same as a Borla or MagnaFlow setup.

I like your choice. Finally, is there any drone at all at highway speeds?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkSX714 View Post
                    rrigia, I was also worried about the stories of throwing hard codes or soft codes. Everyone I know has had this issue, if they messed with the exhaust valve controllers while changing their exhaust system. I went to my Chevy Service Manager and asked about a valve re-flash just in case I needed it and he thought I wanted a custom tune. He was clueless and this further raised my concerns. My friends don't seem to be bothered by the soft codes, but I am an OCD engineer, and the dash warnings would drive me crazy.

So, I went a different way and could not be happier. As the catalytic converters are much more restrictive than the factory exhaust, I chose to switch out the factory cats to high flow sport cats. This was also about $1500 less than an exhaust system with valves.

There were no code issues at all, and the sound is amazing!! The engine revs much quicker now due to the reduction in air flow restriction. I also added a carbon fiber dual filter air intake system at the same time which also helped with air flow.

The other great benefit was I put them all in through the back hatch. I didn't need to remove the exhaust system or the rear panel on the car. Just removed the air filter cover panel and went in through there. I added some pics below for reference.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1478.jpg Views:	63 Size:	3.59 MB ID:	342933 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1481.jpg Views:	63 Size:	3.01 MB ID:	342934

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1482.jpg Views:	64 Size:	2.57 MB ID:	342932

I hope this helps you out with your decision by giving you an alternative solution. Happy Holidays!!!
                    I have a question about your air box set up if you don't mind. The air enters from the right and left and the stock filter is designed to allow air to flow into it from the sides. Your set up has the right and left sides blocked I'm missing how this set up is better than stock?
                    Are those filters open on the ends?
                    Cobia384
                    Sr. Contributor
                    Last edited by Cobia384; 01-01-2022, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Never mind, I was able to find a picture of what those filters look like.

Comment

Originally posted by Z06_Pilot View Post
                        yes, the Borla system is absolutely what I am going to go to. And I will be having a Chevrolet tech install it. I was thrilled when the official GM accessory news came out, as I have been hearing about CEL's if the re-flash is not performed or performed correctly. The service managers at two local dealers had no idea what I was talking about regarding re-flash after Borla installation, even when I referred them to the GM document number. I hope the GM accessory designation will force dealers to "own" the installation and proper operation aspect.
                        I had my Borla exhaust installed at a Chevy Dealership. They did the reflash, and I have had zero issues since August. Both My Wife and I love the sound as compared to stock.
                        Rapid Blue 3LT, HTO Tension Blue, Z51, 5ZZ, E60, ZZ3, ZYC, FE4, J6N, FA5, Q8Q, SHW, VJR, C2Q, R8C

Comment

Originally posted by My1stVette View Post
                          MarkSX714
                          Contributing Member
                          MarkSX714 - do the valves on the exhaust still work? I'm guessing with that CF airbox your total cost may be the same as a Borla or MagnaFlow setup.

I like your choice. Finally, is there any drone at all at highway speeds?
                          I had about $4,300 in the cats and airbox setup. I also added the 2 quarts to the tranny when I went in. I don't know all of the rules on stating the manufacturers names here, but PM me with any questions. I think you can see the airbox manufacturers name in the picture. This unit has beautiful carbon work. It was heartbreaking to cover it all back up. The cats were from the vendor that has a lot of Soul 😀

All the valves still work fine. There is a more noticeable sound change with the mode changes now too. I had time to run it around the neighborhood to make sure I didn't get any codes after a full warm up. I have not gotten onto the highway yet, but I will respond after the Michigan weather cooperates.

Take care

Comment

Thanks...I fished around on the 'net and found some interesting options. I do like that Souful tech, pricey as it is--it seems to be one of the better choices. Not so sure I'd go with the CF airbox though.

Glad it worked out for you!

Comment

I went with the Fabspeed valvetronic system and it's working great now..The shop missed installing small brackets that attached to the AFM valve motors to simulate the valve moving inside the exhaust pipe...After they corrected this the system worked great after the re-learn was done at the dealer..The Valvetronic system sounds so much better that the stock exhaust that I find myself driving in manual mode just to hear some of the pops!!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X