Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Site Maintenance

Site maintenance will take place at approximately 2022-01-17 10:15:00 Pacific Time and should only take a few minutes. The forum may be unavailable during this time.
See more
See less

Summer Tire Issue? Going sideways!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
    Why not stick a set of real all season tires on it? That is what I have done, using a set of non RF Continental DWS 06+ tires. They are super premium grade all seasons.
    +1 on the DWS06 tires. They're great tires that I have on my C7 currently, my wife's Mini JCW, and my daughter's Mustang. You don't lose much dry performance over a summer tire, but gain a ton of wet/cold traction and safety.

    Comment


    • #47
      Michelin p4s tires are excellent everyday driver tires year round. Listen to this daily driver 50k mile review of the porsche 911 gt3 touring review by Chris Harris.

      cup2 tires were ridiculous yet in Chris Harris opinion the Michelin P4s tires are perfect for daily driving in england. It does get quite cold and yet he managed 50k miles in 2 years in his daily driver 911 gt3 touring ON MICHELIN P4S tires stating they are a wonderful compound for daily driving duty.

      I daily mine and I tend to agree.

      Watch the video for his insights on the michelin P4S (and a cool car) he tells whats really his choice for a daily driver high performance car tires with 500 hp and rwd and guess what its the michelin p4 s the same tires that comes on a c8 z51.

      Comment


      • #48
        Wonderful fun video but specifically listen to the video from 9.23 to 10.00 minutes and specifically hear what Chris Harris chose for his daily driver 911 gt3 touring once the Michelin Cup 2 tires wore and and why....in wet and cold England..

        The whole video is fabulous yet the reason its in this thread is context for the exact sake michelin P4s as a daily driver tire in the cold and wet and how its compound and tread are NOT the Michelin Cup 2 tires so many keep thinking it is.

        Chew on that guys as a public service announcement.

        Comment


        • #49
          I would draw the line at cold/wet but not at dry cold. Not driving dry cold is almost saying don't drive any car in the cold as braking is not as good. The rubber contact area for our summer tires is lots more than much narrower usual tires. This assumes that those who have a brain do not stomp on the accelerator but use commons sense and drive
          with care. Have driven my corvettes carefully in dry cold for years but to each his, or her own.

          Comment


          • #50
            My only real irritation with BG/GM is that they offer no variation on what tires come with the car, depending upon your options. In my case, I really//really wanted the All-season tires even tho' I opted for the Z51 package. NOT an option. Why not?
            IF I had it to do over again, I would NOT get the Z51 package solely because I am stuck with summer only tires and can't therefore safely use the car from Dec-March (DC-area, East Coast). I almost never "look thru the rear view mirror"...."shoulda/coulda/woulda, but there it is.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by KAOS View Post
              I am stuck with summer only tires and can't therefore safely use the car from Dec-March (DC-area, East Coast).
              You are only stuck for as long as your local tire shop takes to order and install the Pilot Sport 4 all season tires.

              Comment


              • #52
                Why would you even buy a Corvette and assume you needed a Z51 package when you have no idea what summer performance tires are?

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by jackfrostpdx View Post

                  You are only stuck for as long as your local tire shop takes to order and install the Pilot Sport 4 all season tires.
                  Lots of wisdom in this post.
                  GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Indeed, the only time the OEM summer tires are better than the OEM all seasons are when the former are very hot, which usually only happens on a race track. It's not just outside air or pavement temp, it's the tire heating that takes place when pushing really hard with max braking and near the g-limit in the corners.

                    I honestly don't know why so many who will never take their C8 to a track opt for the Z51 package, but now that GM is offering both as OEM, it seems to me that GM could make that an option too for those who think they just have to have a more track oriented set-up on the street.
                    Last edited by Foosh; 01-14-2022, 01:26 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by JB View Post
                      Michelin p4s tires are excellent everyday driver tires year round. Listen to this daily driver 50k mile review of the porsche 911 gt3 touring review by Chris Harris.

                      cup2 tires were ridiculous yet in Chris Harris opinion the Michelin P4s tires are perfect for daily driving in england. It does get quite cold and yet he managed 50k miles in 2 years in his daily driver 911 gt3 touring ON MICHELIN P4S tires stating they are a wonderful compound for daily driving duty.

                      I daily mine and I tend to agree.

                      Watch the video for his insights on the michelin P4S (and a cool car) he tells whats really his choice for a daily driver high performance car tires with 500 hp and rwd and guess what its the michelin p4 s the same tires that comes on a c8 z51.
                      He doesn't say how cold it was but looking at the way he was dressed it wasn't warm. The video does show how good PS4S tires are in those conditions.
                      2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        I like Chris Harris attitude towards using his Porsche gt3 touring everyday for 50k miles and how wonderful the Michelin P4s tires are great..( of course he also.mentions how the Michelin cup 2 tires were dangerous in the cold winters.

                        Guys take note cup 2 Michelina not good in winter and the Michelin P4 S are a great all around tire.

                        His words.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Yes, the PS4S is a great all around tire, but so is the AS4, and the latter is much better starting at about 50F and below. In snow, the PS4S is horrible, while the AS4 remains remarkably good and also is classified as a UHP tire.

                          It's is rarely as cold in the UK as the temps we see in US winters.

                          The video link below was posted a long time ago in this thread, but for those who've never watched it, they should.

                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjhAURyz_s4
                          Last edited by Foosh; 01-14-2022, 03:53 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            honestly, I stopped reading when I saw:

                            " it is a Z51 with summer only tires. it was about 30 degrees out."

                            🙄
                            3LT Coupe, Z51, Torch Red, sueded microfiber seats/wheel with red stitching, BBS CI-R gloss black wheels, engine app package, Carbon Fiber int, Red Calipers, Comp Seats, Mag Ride, Front Lift, Carbon Fiber dual roof, Carbon Flash mirrors and spoiler, R8C museum delivery, 5VM exposed carbon fiber splitter, side skirts and AGM carbon fiber high wing

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              If you switch to track mode (or adjust your display in touring), you can see the tire temp. In Denver right now, I am just driving the FJ Cruiser as these tires never make it above "cool". The ground is simply too cold.
                              Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Foosh View Post
                                Indeed, the only time the OEM summer tires are better than the OEM all seasons are when the former are very hot, which usually only happens on a race track. It's not just outside air or pavement temp, it's the tire heating that takes place when pushing really hard with max braking and near the g-limit in the corners.

                                I honestly don't know why so many who will never take their C8 to a track opt for the Z51 package, but now that GM is offering both as OEM, it seems to me that GM could make that an option too for those who think they just have to have a more track oriented set-up on the street.

                                When Tire Rack and others test tires against each other they do not do special burnouts and donuts to heat the summer tires up more than the AS tires.

                                They are all tested with little to no warmup and the summer tires out perform the AS every time, all day, every day. Braking, accelerating and cornering.

                                Down to 30 degrees on dry pavement and down to approx 40 degrees on wet pavement.

                                Summer tires are better from the moment you pull out of your garage until you turn it off at your destination.

                                Now AS may be "good enough" for you but your statement above is factually incorrect.

                                Such is the trade off many of us are willing to make in order to drive year round on one set of tires. Others prefer "max performance" in the warmer months.

                                I'll grant you that if you drive sedately down to Starbucks and back at 30 mph you might feel the AS are "just as good". But there is more performance margin available in the summer tires.

                                That margin is where you find yourself in an emergency stop or aggressive on ramp. I've driven both so I have felt the difference and it's easily noticeable to me. Just not at a steady state 30 mph.

                                Comment

                                MECF_728x90_bottom

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X