Summer Tire Issue? Going sideways!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Tire Issue? Going sideways!

I just passed the 500 mile mark. Been a good boy and have not pressed on the accelerator.

Decided it was time.

I was in Touring Mode.

Rolling at maybe 10mph, and I mashed the gas.

Was quite surprised when the it broke loose sideways (front went left, back went right).

The evening before, I was reading the manual and I remember it talking about how the traction control is basically always active unless you go into Track Mode and turn it off (I think one other mode too)... I certainly had not turned anything off... standard Touring mode.

The only missing details - it is a Z51 with summer only tires. it was about 30 degrees out. I have tire info on the display in one of the tiles, and it read "cold".

I'm assuming I was spinning two hockey pucks as opposed to tires...

But shouldn't the traction control prevented that from happening?

I would assume it would be no different than A/S tires in the rain... and assume that the traction control would prevent that from happening.

I did not leave it mashed for very long, got off the gas right away, so not sure if it would have straighten out... but the back end was headed in the general direction of the curb and telephone pole - which seemed like a bad plan.

Thoughts?

What happened to you is NOT an "issue", it is the nature of "Summer" ultra high performance tires. It is, as you found out, well documented in the manual.
    Nannies cannot repeal the laws of physics. When they say "SUMMER" tires, they are NOT kidding.
    Always remember that the various "nannies" are RE-active, not ACTIVE. Traction control is ON, but it is NOT reigning the car (and owner) in. You're getting full power. Now in "Weather", the car is protecting you at some level, but you should NOT take this as a ticket to crazy.
    At 30 degrees ambient, you are at least 20 degrees below a Pilot Sport 4S recommended operating range.
    My C7 (with Pilot Super Sports) was pretty tail happy at anything under 50 degrees.
    jimmyb
    Sr. Contributor
    Last edited by jimmyb; 12-08-2021, 09:34 PM.

Comment

And as we know, never hit the throttle hard unless your tires are pointed straight, your hands are on the wheel and you are ready if necessary to correct with the steering wheel for the rear end going right.

But most of what you encountered was you goosing it below the tires sticky operating temperature. Ease on the throttle if low temps. We want you and your baby to be “sunny-side-up forever.”
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

The nannies are designed to work within reason. Mashing the gas on cold summer tires in the C8's super short first gear is not within reason.

Weather mode might have reacted faster, As an experiment, roll hard into the gas in weather mode on cold tires and see if reacts more forcefully.
        2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

Weather mode is not the answer. According to the tire manufacturer, you shouldn’t be driving on those tires at 30 degrees.
          2021 HTC Deposit placed 10/24/20. R8C-8/12/21

Comment

Originally posted by Ea327 View Post
            Weather mode is not the answer. According to the tire manufacturer, you shouldn’t be driving on those tires at 30 degrees.
            what is recommended min temp?

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzsaw View Post

40 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzsaw View Post

20 degrees. Above that it's simply a bit of reduced traction, which BTW, happens on All Season tires too, just not as dramatically. But then they have less traction to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Denizen View Post

20 degrees. Above that it's simply a bit of reduced traction, which BTW, happens on All Season tires too, just not as dramatically. But then they have less traction to begin with.
                  I suggest that you look in the manual. 40 degrees is the lowest temperature recommended to drive on them. 20 degrees will cause the tires to crack.

Comment

Common sense should prevail.

Comment

how about stopping under 40 degrees? common sense or is it like stopping on ice? lucky in Texas i have more year-round drive days but we still can get a bit chilly here (garage time)

Comment

I highly suggest you look at this video on the reasonable test (controlled environment, and not done on full-snow) why you should not drive "ultra high performance summer tires" at temperature below 40 degrees.

Follow me @smurf.vette on Instagram -- https://www.instagram.com/smurf.vette

Comment

You have to be xtra careful with temps in the 40's and light footed

Comment

Originally posted by KK87 View Post
                            I highly suggest you look at this video on the reasonable test (controlled environment, and not done on full-snow) why you should not drive "ultra high performance summer tires" at temperature below 40 degrees.

thank you for this info

Comment

I used to have the same problem on my C7! When it's cold,,, and you take full advantage of the HP on these cars,,you get a little excitement!! :-) So as others have said, when it's cold, unless the tires are warm, easy does it on the gas pedal!!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X