Z06 Engineers: 488 Not A Good Benchmark For The Z06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z06 Engineers: 488 Not A Good Benchmark For The Z06

So while the Corvette Z06 had first bought and sold a naturally aspirated V8, 458 Ferrari, they then sold it for a 488 turbo Ferrari (then the latest and greatest Ferrari). However it twin turbo was not what they wanted to best developed the Z06 so they sold the 488 and got another 458 — for it had the soul they wanted for the Z06. Thanks MuscleCarsandTrucks for the full story.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8DC21D66-769A-45BF-A53E-A1A4D0BB7BD3.jpg
Views:	2727
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	333509

Originally posted by MC&T
    CORVETTE Z06 ENGINEERS BOUGHT AND SOLD A FERRARI 488 BECAUSE IT WASN’T GOOD ENOUGH

Benchmarking The C8 Corvette Z06 Was Expensive, And Discerning

by Michael Accardi: November 24, 2021

Through the end of C7 production, the Corvette had lived its life as an outright grand touring car. When it came to duking it out in the GT scene there was only ever one rival the Corvette was measured by: the Porsche 911. Then came along the mid-engine C8, a radical departure from the Corvette’s storied frontal-engined lineage. With the engine now behind the driver and the performance benchmarks higher, the brand was evolving.

Last month Chevy pushed things even further when it unveiled the 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 with the most powerful naturally aspirated V8 engine ever designed. Officially, the 5.5L flat-plane cranked DOHC LT6 V8 makes 670 horsepower at 8,400 rpm and 460 lb-ft of twist at 6,300 rpm and was developed alongside the C8.Rs competition-spec engine of the same displacement and design.

2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Combined with chassis improvements and quality tires, the new Z06 promises to deliver a quantum leap forward in terms of what the Corvette can do. Obviously, that meant a new measuring stick was needed.

If the Corvette team was going to build a proper world-beater, they needed to go after the undisputed champion of the world: Ferrari. You can stop your shouting right now, you know it’s true. the Ford GT is an incredible machine, yes, but it’s not a Ferrari. The Porsche 911 GT3 RS is a very fast car, but it’s not a Ferrari.

Anyways, according to Motor Trend, when it came time to start developing the C8 Z06 the Corvette team started their work by heading to the Ferrari dealership. First buying a Ferrari 458 to begin the benchmark process, before trading it in when the new turbocharged 488 appeared in 2015–which goes to show you just how long the C8 spent in development.

Despite what was presumed to be a superior model to its predecessor, the C8 Corvette engineering team ended up selling the Ferrari 488 and buying another 458 because the naturally aspirated car simply had more soul, and proved a better target for their ambitions. When compared to the spine-tingling, high pitched sing-song of high revving flat-plane crank V8 engines, the flatter belch of turbocharged rotating assemblies just doesn’t hit the same. And that goes triple for electric vehicles.

Keep that thought in mind as faster and more powerful versions of the C8 Corvette begin to arrive. Be it turbocharged, supercharged (LOL), hybrid, or all-electric, none of those propulsion methods will ever be able to supplant the C8 Z06 as the most powerful naturally aspirated V8 engined car ever produced.
    https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...t-engineering/

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Very interesting. I knew they were benchmarking with the 458 but hadn't heard they tried a 488 briefly. I have never had the opportunity to drive or hear either but the 458 has been my favorite Ferrari ever since it came out.

Comment

I agree the Ferrari 488 isn't a good benchmark. Since it's getting rather 'long in the tooth', the team might be best served if they could get their hands on one of the more current V8 mid engine models like the Pista or even the F8. The 488 was a good choice during the early C8 development but it's not particularly relevant now.... Just my opinion.....
      2020 HTC Torch Red with lots of goodies. Built in September. Museum Delivered in October......

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur, Chevy SSr

Comment

As the Pista is also a TT, I do not think that is one they would benchmark either. What else is there to benchmark that is a naturally aspirated V8 that is street legal?
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by tooold2race View Post
          I agree the Ferrari 488 isn't a good benchmark. Since it's getting rather 'long in the tooth', the team might be best served if they could get their hands on one of the more current V8 mid engine models like the Pista or even the F8. The 488 was a good choice during the early C8 development but it's not particularly relevant now.... Just my opinion.....
          458 is longer in the tooth than the 488. I have only seen both driving around the parking lots at IMSA races, but I have seen both in race form. The 458 sounded a lot better.
          The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches.

1LT, Elkhart Lake Blue, Adrenaline red seats, Torch red seat belts, Z51, FE4, Bright red brake calipers, Bright Silver 5-open spoke wheels, chrome emblems

Comment

Originally posted by tooold2race View Post
            The Pista is a 488 with more power and aero. The F8 is a Pista with body/interior refinements and added stability control technology. All three are twin turbo'd and the Pista and F8 share the same engine which is why Chevy chose to go back to the NA 458 for a benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by socarate View Post
              Very interesting. I knew they were benchmarking with the 458 but hadn't heard they tried a 488 briefly. I have never had the opportunity to drive or hear either but the 458 has been my favorite Ferrari ever since it came out.
              If you want to hear hyper cars come down to South Florida in the winter! I was at one of the monthly car meet ups and they were a dime a dozen. There was a Mclaren P1, a Pagani, a Koenigsegg, a new Ford GT, a Ferrari La Ferrari, Bugati, various Lambos and Ferraris, the list goes on! The people down there are wealthy beyond imagination and they like to flaunt it. Let me not forget the 918 Porsche and it's older brother Carrera GT Lol
              2021 ELB, 2LT, Red Interior, Red Calipers, Standard Wheels, Front Lift, NPP,
              MM Deposit Dec. 15, 2020
              May 15, 21 2000
              May 18, 21 3000
              Aug 11, 21 3300
              TPW 8/30
              Sept 3, 21 3800
              Sept 9, 21 5000 at the museum
              Sept 21, picking up

Comment

I would imagine the 458 is more visceral than the toned down exhaust of the turbo 3.9 ferrari powerplant.

the 488 is a personal favorite as is the f8 successor.

that said the 300 grand price tag is kind of ridiculous for those of us who want to daily drive our cars and have net worth less than 10 mil.

JMO
                Last edited by JB; 11-25-2021, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Bob View Post

If you want to hear hyper cars come down to South Florida in the winter! I was at one of the monthly car meet ups and they were a dime a dozen. There was a Mclaren P1, a Pagani, a Koenigsegg, a new Ford GT, a Ferrari La Ferrari, Bugati, various Lambos and Ferraris, the list goes on! The people down there are wealthy beyond imagination and they like to flaunt it. Let me not forget the 918 Porsche and it's older brother Carrera GT Lol
                  Sounds truly incredible! I've seen some supercars in a couple car shows but none in which they were being driven or started up. I would love to go to something like that at some point. With three kids under three right now I'm lucky that the wife is giving me a few days to go out to Spring Mountain!

Comment

I have a good friend that is very fortunate in life to own many exotic cars. Even with a Ferrari SF90 ($600k) and a 911S4($140k) in the garage, whenever he takes out his 2015 Ferrari 458 Speciale ($300K new, now $450k+) he says it’s like no other. 605 HP, 8500 RPM / naturally aspirated, flat plane crank. He says it’s just raw power. Point I’m getting too, the ZO6 will have 670 HP / 8600 RPM / N/A, FPC, with all the latest electronics that Ferrari doesn't have for about $300k less. Can't wait for this beast!! By the way, my buddy wants a ZO6!

Name:	458 SF90.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	333653
                    72 Corvette T-Top, 85 928, 04 CLK 500 Conv, 20 C8 2LT Z51 White/Red HT

August 20, 2019 status 1100 / February 18, 2020 status 2000 / February 19, 2020 status 3000 / September 8, 2020 status 3300 / September 21, 2020 status 3400 / October 15, 2020 status 6000 / October 15, 2020 left deposit for ZO6, Ron Fellows - COS Graduate - April 23/24, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Rick M View Post
                      I have a good friend that is very fortunate in life to own many exotic cars. Even with a Ferrari SF90 ($600k) and a 911S4($140k) in the garage, whenever he takes out his 2015 Ferrari 458 Speciale ($300K new, now $450k+) he says it’s like no other. 605 HP, 8500 RPM / naturally aspirated, flat plane crank. He says it’s just raw power. Point I’m getting too, the ZO6 will have 670 HP / 8600 RPM / N/A, FPC, with all the latest electronics that Ferrari doesn't have for about $300k less. Can't wait for this beast!! By the way, my buddy wants a ZO6!

Name:	458 SF90.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	333653
                      I’m guessing your friend has had a few Ferraris. I hear is not easy to buy them new especially the Speciale models. Nice collection of cars. I wouldn’t mind owning one myself one day finances willing.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X