Do Offset Wheels Hit Wheel Wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Offset Wheels Hit Wheel Wells

When I bought aftermarket wheels, the salesman said the tires won't hit the wheel wells because the tires still fit inside the upper lip of the wheel well. It sure doesn't look that way to me. From this forum, I know a lot of you have offset wheels that push the wheels/tires outward. It looks like there is only about a couple inches of travel from the top of the tires to the bottom of the wheel wells. Do tires ever hit the wheel wells? If not, what limits the wheel/tire travel? Thanks for your help with this.
    Mustang GT (new, 1st year models): 1987, 2006, 2015
    Other notable: 1972 Charger (1st car), 1995 Trans Am
    2006 C6 (used) convertible, 2LT, 6spd, black / tan
    2021 C8 (new) convertible, 2LT, red mist / black & tan
    Deposit 17Jul20, 3000 ~20May21, 3300 ~24Aug21, 3400 ~31Aug21, 3800 ~7Sep21, 5000 22Sep21, 6000 24Sep21

Another option if to call adn talk with our outstanding wheel vendors. They know which of their wheels work perfectly yet better fill the wheel openings.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

It all depends on how big your offset is. I went with 12mm and it's just fine on my Z51 set up. If you also lower the car then you can increase the likeliness if it rubbing too. I didn't lower mine and I can turn stop to stop without any rubbing and I've not had any issues with larger bumps in the road causing suspension travel.

Comment

There are a lot of factors involved like wheel width or different tires; not only wheel offset. Even tires of the same size but different manufacturer can have different cross-sectional profiles (some are more 'square' etc). Suspension geometry also determines how the wheels move upwards (and inwards) as the suspension compresses. Adding some negative camber increases clearance between the tire and wheel well arch at the top.

I have 19x8.5 et30 front and rear 20x10.5 et42 Vossen wheels using the OEM tires, with the front lowered 3/4" and the rear lowered 1/2", and some negative camber (-2 deg in the front and -1.8 deg rear), and have not experienced any tire rubbing when hard cornering and hitting some bumps/dips during cornering.
        Last edited by shiumai; 11-23-2021, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I have the Paragon 20mm spacers and run slightly larger tire sizes, 255 front and 315 rear.

There is no rubbing in the vertical plane but they do make contact with the splash guards up front a small bit on the inside where you don't see it.

I'm leaving them on to see if they continue to wear or just needed to scrub a little plastic off to fit!

Comment

I'm running some pretty aggressive offsets on my car with a +35 front and +45 rear with the car lowered to the max on stock coilovers and have not rubbed even once.

Click image for larger version

Name:	c8 with tree.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	333053

Comment

What brand of aftermarket wheels did you purchase StangtoVette?
              Darren

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenMRRWheels View Post
                What brand of aftermarket wheels did you purchase StangtoVette?
                Darren
                Vossen HF2. Using original tires.
                Mustang GT (new, 1st year models): 1987, 2006, 2015
                Other notable: 1972 Charger (1st car), 1995 Trans Am
                2006 C6 (used) convertible, 2LT, 6spd, black / tan
                2021 C8 (new) convertible, 2LT, red mist / black & tan
                Deposit 17Jul20, 3000 ~20May21, 3300 ~24Aug21, 3400 ~31Aug21, 3800 ~7Sep21, 5000 22Sep21, 6000 24Sep21

Comment

Originally posted by StangToVette View Post

Vossen HF2. Using original tires.
                  Those will fit perfect...I have HF-5 wheels......That look awesome

Comment

I have Avant Garde M520R’s stock sizes, 30/40mm offsets and the fronts do/did ever so slightly rub on the very inside of the stock rock/splash guards (can’t see). I’m not lowered (yet) but do plan to do so (3/4”) and at that time, plan to install the XL painted splash guards (have already installed the rears)

Given the current extremely rare/infrequent and slight rub recently, I think as the tires wear a couple of 32nd’s it will be fine. Plus, I’ll take a heat gun and/or a file to the inside edge of the XL splash guards and “mold/scuff them back” just a tad when I install.

It’s so slight that my car only has 583 miles on it and it hasn’t rubbed (traversing same routes) in the past week to ten days (last 100 miles) and it did initially. Don’t know if it’s because the suspension settled some, or just a tad of tire wear, or if the tires have scuffed that small portion of the guards just enough, or some combination of the three, that the tires seeming now clear… (?)

Interestingly, most folks that report this issue do so upon installing the XL guards which I find dumbfounding as the portion of the guards inside the wheel well is exactly the same on either guard.

I haven’t heard of anyone who has had any fitment issues in the rear and the only “rubbing” that I’ve seen anyone speak of with any aftermarket wheel is this same lower inside corner of the front splash guard(s). Personally, I wouldn’t let that slight (and fixable) potential issue stand in the way of the aesthetic upgrade… Not to mention most any aftermarket wheel whether forged or flow-whatever is a structural upgrade over cast.

Comment

Originally posted by 4camv8 View Post
                      Interestingly, most folks that report this issue do so upon installing the XL guards which I find dumbfounding as the portion of the guards inside the wheel well is exactly the same on either guard.
                      When I installed my aftermarket wheels, I experienced some rubbing with the EOS XL splash guards. Same thing with the ACS ones. I have no idea why they (especially aftermarket) design the guards with the bulge towards the wheel instead of having a concave profile with more clearance. When I encountered the issue early on, I emailed ACS with photos of the issue months before they released theirs, hoping they'd provide more clearance for aftermarket wheels. I was disappointed to see that they didn't change the profile and it still rubs on occasion (if rocks are stuck to the tires or the front lift is used when in a tight turn). Lowering the car actually helped increase the clearance and reduce rubbing.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X