How much snow is to much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much snow is to much

For those of us winter drivers I was wondering how much snow is to much to drive in. I don't mind driving when it is snowing unless it is more then 2" on the road. I'll take the car out after roads have been plowed and sanded . So just curious as to what are your cut off points.

In the first drive video with EddieX, we heard Vehicle Performance Manager Alex MacDonald say with the Z07’s splitter we plowed snow at Kinross — the Smithers, Michigan winter testing facility pictured below.

Since the Z07’ splitter has roughly 5” ground clearance, there is part of your answer. However they could well have used the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 true snow tires for those tests.

Click image for larger version  Name:	78FF3CCB-3DA2-4366-965E-C19623524E6D.jpg Views:	0 Size:	959.1 KB ID:	332736
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

There are multiple reasons why I don't Drive my C8 in Winter Snow.
      1. I don't trust other Drivers skill in Winter Snow
      2. Too much Rock Salt, Ice, Road Debris and Dirt and Grime kicked onto a Low Clearance Vehicle
      3. I have 2-Two other All-Wheel Drive Choices that can easily get cleaned at the local Carwash
      4. CORRECTION: There nothing pleasurable for me driving my C8 in the Snow, so why sacrifice my C8, when I can have Fun with My 4x4s
      5. I waited almost a Year and Half to get my C8
      Last edited by Plentyfast; 11-22-2021, 03:37 PM.
      1999 C5 Magnetic Red Coupe -Z51 - SOLD 7/31/21
      2021 C8 Red Mist Z51 HTC, 2LT Mag Ride & Front Lift

Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels
      GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Delivered – August 28th @ The National Corvette Museum

Comment

I will let these two pictures be the guidelines of how deep of the snow a C8 Z51 with front lift can handle - obviously, with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 true winter tires. Second picture is on fresh snow. My cutoff point is likely 4 inches.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0974.jpg Views:	31 Size:	212.0 KB ID:	332772
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0926.jpg Views:	30 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	332771
        Last edited by KK87; 11-22-2021, 02:25 PM.
        Follow me @smurf.vette on Instagram -- https://www.instagram.com/smurf.vette

Comment

Living where there is no snow I know nothing about it. I even ask many people and can't get answer of where the white color goes when it melts.

Comment

I have zero doubt in the C8 / Z51 abilities to handle Snow ... 👌

That said, I'll take the 4x4 to store

Comment

for those who are old enough to remember driving when all cars & most trucks were rear wheel drive only, we Learned how to drive in snow / ice. As front wheel / all wheel & 4-wheel came to pass, I now think rear wheel drives are for nice weather. Guess with the C8 you won't need to put salt bags in trunk for weight LOL

Comment

Like my C7, my C8 is a no go in the snow even though I have AS tires. Normally not much snow here in MD but when those conditions exist, ice and salt are also present.

Comment

Originally posted by Plentyfast View Post
                  1. I don't trust other Drivers skill in Winter Snow
                  2. Too much Rock Salt, Ice, Road Debris and Dirt and Grime kicked onto a Low Clearance Vehicle
                  3. I have 2-Two other All-Wheel Drive Choices that can easily get cleaned at the local Carwash
                  4. There nothing pleasurable for me driving in Snow, so why sacrifice my C8
                  5. I waited almost a Year and Half to get my C8
                  This all day long. Not to mention my driveway is steep and there's no way a rear wheel drive vette let alone most rear wheel drive trucks will make it up my driveway. The salt alone on the roads is enough to not want it on your sports car. The salt and brine that's used is so corrosive on vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Plentyfast View Post
                    1. I don't trust other Drivers skill in Winter Snow AGREE
                    2. Too much Rock Salt, Ice, Road Debris and Dirt and Grime kicked onto a Low Clearance Vehicle AGREE
                    3. I have 2-Two other All-Wheel Drive Choices that can easily get cleaned at the local Carwash AGREE
                    4. There nothing pleasurable for me driving in Snow, so why sacrifice my C8 DISAGREE
                    5. I waited almost a Year and Half to get my C8 AGREE
                    I'm 80% with you! Where we part is "nothing pleasurable...driving in snow." Oftentimes driving in snow is absolute blast.

Comment

I like the vette when I can either take the top off or have the possibility to jump on it. Snow is no-go on both counts in addition to Plentyfast points 1 and 2.

I drove through a little bit of snow on the drive home from MacMulkin. Both weather mode and grandma mode were engaged as I have summer tires on my Z51.
                      2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

This is too much snow here in Florida.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171209_064040r.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	726.9 KB
ID:	332830

Name:	20171209_064058r.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	999.4 KB
ID:	332831

Name:	20171209_064118r.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	599.0 KB
ID:	332832

1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
                        2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

Brad now that's a switch, you've had more now than me in IL 😂

... I wish I could say that would last.

Comment

That was four years ago so not current. It's going to be in the 30s tonight but no snow.
                            1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
                            2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

If I HAD TO, I'd probably be willing to drive in snow as long as it's not so deep I'm plowing it. With A/S tires and all that weight on the back, it'll probably do as well as many FWD cars. I drove front engine, rear wheel drive cars with bias ply snow tires (on the rear only) in much worse snow in western PA. I think the modern A/S tires are probably as good as the snows back then, and more weight on the rear wheels. (Also wider tires, though.) But as others have said, why expose the car to salt and sand and sliding fools if you don't need to.
                              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X