Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Corvette Today’s News That “Corvette Fever” Returns

Corvette Fever magazine has not been published for a while. But Alan Colvin, a walking encyclopedia of GM cars as well as Corvette, has purchased the rights to Corvette Fever and has revived this publication! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-Colvin-euvkq2. Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, visits with Alan to talk about the books he's written on Corvette and other GM products, his history with the old Corvette Fever magazine and how he plans to revive the publication. Plus, listen to this podcast and register to win one of 3-two year subscriptions to Corvette Fever that we're giving away exclusively on this episode! Listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast and win a subscription to Corvette Fever magazine!!!
2 of 4 < >

SGTMAJ USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER Joins MECF As A Featured Forum Vendor.

Welcome to SGTMAJ USMC USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER! We are so happy to have you now join us as a MECF Featured Forum Vendor. We can not wait to help your new business grow. We know you will provide a great transport service to our members and others!
3 of 4 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

ME Body Panel Manufacturing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ME Body Panel Manufacturing

During the C7 introduction phase in, we were surprised to see a video on the rear fascia of the Corvette and the die that was made for the manufacturing of it. There are many of these tool and die mold manufacturer's that make the retractable molds for the front and rear fascia's, front right, front left, rear right, rear left quarter panels, and other complex formed body panels for the exterior as well as the interior. Omega, Integrity, and Concour, are three of the top Canadian and U.S. companies that build these incredibly complex retractable mold forms out of forged billet steel. The front and rear fascia's are typically some of the most complex of all the body panel forms done in 3D CADCAM software designed specifically for this injection molded shape. They start with a large billet of forged steel that's large enough to machine a roughed out oversized negative shape into the block to de-stress the entire block. They then do a secondary machining to further reduce and de-stress the material to a closer tolerance. Then a final polishing to a mirror finish on the single die of the exterior side of the fascia. The interior mold is made up of multiple retractable die's that slide into and out of position. The front fascia mold or the rear fascia mold typically cost up to 1 million U.S. Dollars for each depending on the complexity of the shape. The C7 Stingray, GS, and ZO6 used the same mold for the front but the new ZR1 required a separate mold for the new front end. There were also two separate molds for the C7 generation rear fascia with a narrow Stingray rear mold and a wider mold for the GS, ZO6,and ZR1. I talked to a few of these companies engineers and they all told me that these body panels and fascia's are typically finalized and molds built up to 2 years prior to the cars introduction. Looking at FVS's renderings I would think the front fascia would stay as a single mold and possibly having two rear molds for a narrow and wider version of the ME requiring two different rear quarter panels as well.. Comments are welcome !!
    Last edited by Skank; 07-31-2018, 12:05 PM.

Fascinating comments! I recall the frenzy that this link created and attach it below. This is from the original manufacturing of the C7 mold. It is easy to see how these things command such exorbitant prices and add to the production and design of a forthcoming vehicle. We know that there are at least two molds on the front and the rear of any car. These are complex French Bézier curves on all axis and are difficult to create as they must render a mirror finish.
    Click the "you are being directed" part, not the "egmcartech.." part.
    Last edited by ltomn; 07-31-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Great job Skank, e.g. Super Sleuth! Amazing Skank that you were able to talk to engineers within all three companies, and good for you to have the integrity to only post what was okayed for public sharing.

So if I am properly interpreting within the lines, GM not only has spent a ton on the ME’s body panels, and since there is a two year time-to-manufacture window this has already been done, but think of the costs per each ZR1 with its unique front fascia and front fender molds.
      Last edited by John; 07-31-2018, 01:45 PM.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

very interesting read.

Tooling can be very expensive and time intensive. There are many ways to cut steel molds including CNC and EDM. I have a lot of experience with tooling but not for car body parts. They can move much faster than years ago and "could" possibly use aluminum tooling for "low production" parts which is faster and cheaper (maybe for the ZR1 ?)

In order to achieve the undercuts and complex shapes in one injected part, the tool can contain movable cams or slides as they are called. They basically hold a section of the tool in place as the part is formed and then it can be retracted out of the way in order to demold the part. This can be very complex.

You would not believe the polishing involved with smaller tools. After electro polishing they go in by hand with super fine emery and tiny tools to polish the steel in every nook and cranny to a mirror finish. They then harden the tool so it can withstand thousands or millions of parts run thru.

Thanks for the post. !
        Last edited by fvs; 07-31-2018, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Yes, I do believe reading between the lines of all the engineers, the Body panels for the mid engine have been done for at least 1 1/2 to 2 years already. Time to take the wraps off this baby. Maybe Pebble Beach Concour D'Elegance and Classic Car Week at the Historics and The Quail.

Comment

To quote what I hear in some places, sweet!
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Very interesting information skank... thanks for sharing. I really appreciate all that I learn from others on these forums.

I also find it fascinating how far into the future these designers have to plan for knowing the lag time to go from their design to actual fabrication is 1.5 to 2 years... quite a long time for a design to "sit/last"... and it's a lifetime in the marketing world where whoever can claim "first to print" earns gold.

Again, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thanks Skank, interesting information.
                There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
                2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                79 coupe Silver/oyster
                All one owner
                Museum lifetime members

Comment

Skank, excellent write-up and you kept it simple describing the process for all to understand. By the way, you don't have any black Suburban's sitting out in front of your house with manufacture plates do you?

SF
                  Rick

Comment

No black Suburbans here, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Comment

Thank you Skank. I'm learning so much on this site.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X