MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Stingray Sites For Your Convenience

See more
See less

Will you buy a c8 if the LT2 misses the 500 hp mark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frenzy36
    replied
    As long as the engine is reliable as they have been in the past is what matters most to me. I would also hope fuel efficiency would be better as well. Corvette's have always been a great Value for HP, Reliability and Fuel Economy. The ME should also have these great ingredients for Value. I also believe this ME appearance looks better as well. It's a Win Win Win. I am not concerned with the HP #.

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    I really believe based off of porsches 911 S dct versus manual acceleration...we can with even 460 hp in the c8 amd a rear weight bias..see an imorovement of as much as porsche does with its manual versus pdk whereby the acceleration literally is 8 tenths quicker to 60 mph amd in tje quarter mile for the pdk 911 versus the manual version.

if that extrapolation holds true for tje c8 amd it weighs the same as the c7 z51 manual...

we can expect zero to sixty times of 3.0 to 3.1 seconds consistently for the c8...

now add in the extra insurance of 40 more hp this is pretty much a slam dunk for the c8 with the optional 3.80 rear gearing to be quite close to the mighty c7 z06 from acceleration out of the hole.

i would certainly expect roll on performance of the c7 z06 to be superior as would I expect road course times would favor the c7 z06...

still for those making the jump from c7 stingray to take a heavy hit on depreciation and lay out tens of thousands of dollars...Aa lift from the mihty 460 hp to 500 hp would be an asset...

HP increases still sell sports cars...

500 should be doable.

i think the bash announce,ent could go something along the lines of ....the LT2 powerplant will have MORE than 500 hp...

could be 505 to rave its as much as the mighty LS7...

or course it could be a badge being shown at BG next week too...

Leave a comment:

• 64stingray
    replied
    I doubt the base engine will make much more than 500 hp. To make more power than that with a NA V8 would mean sacrificing low end torque. I'm not really sure that would be a good trade off. I'd rather the car be lightweight than make over 500 hp in the base model. If the car isn't significantly lighter than a c7 i think that would be a bigger disappointment.

Leave a comment:

• meyerweb
    replied
    Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post
    The Ford GT40, race prepared, had 350hp. A C8 ME with even 400hp would challenge the skill of most drivers.
    Thankfully, all of today's high performance cars have sophisticated traction and stability control systems to help out the less skilled among us. Which, if we're honest, is most of us.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Exactly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0AD6E4E4-73E3-4DFA-B888-20EEB6A3883F.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	33082

Leave a comment:

• Racer86
    replied
    Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post
    The Ford GT40, race prepared, had 350hp. A C8 ME with even 400hp would challenge the skill of most drivers.
    So true, quoting horsepower is for the ego. Torque does the work, if you can’t keep your rpm above 4000 rpm on corner exit, corner after corner, you either need less horsepower, or you need to really learn how to drive. But horsepower numbers sell cars, and make great banter at the club over drinks. Just my $0.10 adjusted for current inflation

Leave a comment:

• WillRockwell
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sparro
    replied
    I've heard the LT2 should come in at 520 HP. Hoping thats true.

Leave a comment:

• meyerweb
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post
    Good points gentlemen. So if the 2020 ME Corvette comes with a “100 HP rating, but does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, would we buy it?
    If GM has found some unobtanium that lets it go from 0-60 that quick with 100 hp, I'm in. It would probably get 100 mpg, too!

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    460 hp with a dct in a rear weight biased vehicle the same weight as the c7 z51 manual should produce zero to sixty times of 3.1 seconds..(8 tenths of an improvement)

justt give the vehicle 500 hp which is easy to do and the automotive press will go gaga over the c8..

figure 3500 lbs give or take fifty...

let 3 LT imteriors and all the various options coddle those who want those features and its a win win.

just dont make me buy those luxury items....i dont really care for a lot of it.

its nice but i dont need a lot of it..

i do want some seats that offer good lateral support...

Leave a comment:

• SheepDog
    replied
    Originally posted by Maxster View Post

100 hp to the wheels and a 500lbs weight might be needed for a 2.5 0-60mph, you can have more weight for a 2.5 0-60kph
    Thanks for the mathematical visualization. Sounds like a Corvette Golf Cart. I will not buy that one. And pass on the 1.5 seconds, 0--60, 911 Rickshaw too.

911 Rickshaw, 1.5 Zero to 60

BATTERY POWERED RICKSHAW FOR JOHN FOR INVENTING IT ALL. Zero to 60 in Zero.
    Last edited by SheepDog; 04-16-2019, 03:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Maxster
    replied
    Good points gentlemen. So if the 2020 ME Corvette comes with a “100 HP rating, but does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, would we buy it?
    100 hp to the wheels and a 500lbs weight might be needed for a 2.5 0-60mph, you can have more weight for a 2.5 0-60kph

Leave a comment:

• SheepDog
    replied
    Originally posted by LightningBolt View Post

Therein lies the crux of the discussion. We get so hung up over a spec, that we loose sight of the real issue, performance.

Yes - I'd buy a 100hp 0-60 in 2.5 Corvette if only because that car would be an engineering marvel! Plus, it would probably need a flux capacitor and I've always wanted a flux capacitor!
    A "flux capacitor" WHAT? You all keep me reading.

At Walmart for $1000 And .................................. "Therein lies the . . . Flux . . . of the discussion"

Last edited by SheepDog; 04-16-2019, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SheepDog
    replied
    Yes. Absolutely. Unless fatally distracted by a 911 that comes with a “50 HP rating, but does 0-60 in 1.5 seconds

Leave a comment:

• LightningBolt
    replied
    Therein lies the crux of the discussion. We get so hung up over a spec, that we loose sight of the real issue, performance.

Yes - I'd buy a 100hp 0-60 in 2.5 Corvette if only because that car would be an engineering marvel! Plus, it would probably need a flux capacitor and I've always wanted a flux capacitor!

Leave a comment:

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X