MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official 7.18.19 Livestream Reveal URL Site! Tustin Reveal Site Updates & Weather. Watch The Reveal on Your TV Using A Windows Laptop

7.18.19 Official Livestream URL Site: https://media.chevrolet.com/nextgenCorvette

7.18.19 Tustin Updates and Weather: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ather-forecast

Watch The Reveal On Your TV Using a Windows Laptop: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...windows-laptop
See more
See less

Will you buy a c8 if the LT2 misses the 500 hp mark?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't think it will be less than 500HP, but if it is, that would make me a bit unhappy.

I'd still probably buy a C8 if it ticks all the other styling boxes.

Comment

I won't be able to afford one either way. Maybe in a couple years I will be able to find one someone has left sitting in their garage for a couple years like I did when I bought my 2014 with under 5,000 miles on it....

Comment

Let's use the past HP trends for a guesstimate of what the 2020 LT2 HP will be.

Below are the HP numbers at the beginning of each new Corvette Generation, for the "base" engines, beginning with the C4:

C4: 205 HP
        C5: 345 HP, an increase of 140 HP over the C4
        C6: 400 HP, and increase of 55 HP over the C5
        C7: 460 HP, an increase of 60 HP over the C6

So, as has been pointed out by others, all recent Corvette generations have seen meaningful increases in HP for the first year "base" engines, with a minimum increase (C5 to C6) of 55 HP.

Add 55 to 460 and what do you get? 515 HP (please, check my math )
        Last edited by Mobius; 04-15-2019, 10:40 AM.
        Current Vettes:
        '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
        '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
        '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
        "Delta t = 23"

Comment

The awesome c7 whether its the standard model, the z51 or the grand sport has an impressive hp and tq curve that mimics the mighty ls7 from the prior generation and bulked up the power in the usable rpm range...

this was an impressive feat and delivered excellent fuel efficiency to boot.

i would hope the c8 with the addition of the dct technology will allow for not only such a strong power production in the under 4500 rpm range that there will be new technology advancements GM has acquired since 2014 that allows the LT2 to produce 500 hp or more.

just for egos sake i guess...the rational thought processs of an additional 10 percent hp for the motivation to buy the 70 odd grand c8 z51 fe2 would be helpful...to many of us...

i think an extra ten percent or 40 hp should be doable for the standard engine...

with bullet mustangs for 47 grand having 480 hp and dodge challenger scat packs at 40 grand with 485 hp...

it would be cool if the standard corvette which we assume will start at 62 grand be rated at 500 hp...

just shooting the breeze as we wait the 96 days or whatever it is until the release...

i hope gm doesnt just say on july 18th that it will be more than 500 hp...lol

Comment

With the superior off the line acceleration of an ME and the DCT being quicker, plus its eighth gear gives them the opportunity to also have higher gears off the line, expecting no less than 0-60 in 3.4 seconds, and would not be surprised with a 3.35.

Since my C7 Z06 with the manual is a 3.2 0-60 beast (well at least when driven by a perfect driver with the perfect launch), the “entry” 2020 ME is going to upside surprise many with its quickness, both straight line and exiting an apex.
            Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

While it certainly not all about HP an torque, to come out with a base model C8 below 500 HP would be a mistake by GM. I can use 0 to 60 times in everyday driving and off the line acceleration with the DCT may get it down to the low 3 second mark, but I also want something that can use the HP properly and with control.

Comment

Originally posted by WoW Factor View Post
                Yes, I would still buy the c8 (assuming that it is as least as powerful as the C7).
                I have not been able to get a single number as to the C8’s powertrain. It is more closely guarded than earlier when the reveal was going to be (no one guessed July 18th), now more closely guarded where the C8’s reveal is gong to be.

However, I can confirm that the LT2’s power level is more than the LT1’s. That is the only info anyone has yet shared. Whether 1 more HP or 57 more HP is what we will find out this July; OR, might we learn it before then as we did with the LT1 being shown before 1.13.13.
                Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
                  If they were to put a “500 HP” emblem on a 450 hp car, I suspect, most of us wouldn’t know the difference.......😎
                  Very true. Some years of the C7 have the option of displaying a "horsepower meter" on the dash. Watching it is instructional. Even in spirited driving on the street, one rarely gets anywhere near peak HP.
                  Last edited by meyerweb; 04-15-2019, 01:26 PM. Reason: typo
                  SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                  >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by JustOneMore View Post

I totally agree. Our first new Vette, if I remember correctly, had 165 hp (1975). Each one we have owned since has performed better not only due to hp but advancements in many areas including tires. IMO our 14 Stingray is better than our GS was and I believe our new ME will be better than the Stingray regardless of hp.

I sorta agree but not so sure.
                    I had a 1970 LT1 350/370. It screamed from 3000 all the way until the rocker arms came loose at 7300 RPMs. No rev limiters back then. The CAT converters were introduced in 72, 73, 74 in phases-in over that time. HP dropped by 50%. People who had experienced the earlier cars were Disappointed. Sad.Sick. But the reduced HP cars came to be loved by buyers. They were less riotous but everything was. It took until 2001 with the 405HP Z06 to regain that ground.

But the thing is this. Now days there are 450 HP I-4 engines. Benz has one. Many i-4s near 400 HP. The small 2 seater Audi is over 400 HP. The 30K$ mustang has 460. Therefore under 500 sounds like the little leagues. There are right fielders in the little leagues who can make the throw to home plate on a single hop, but little leagues is still the little leagues. A 465 HP C8 Vette may be able to make the throw from deep right to home-plate. But little leagues is still little leagues.

The thing needs 575 HP whether it needs it or not. Even if it does not, it still very much does: 575 HP C8
                    Last edited by SheepDog; 04-15-2019, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post

I sorta agree but not so sure.
                      I had a 1970 LT1 350/370. It screamed from 3000 all the way until the rocker arms came loose at 7300 RPMs. No rev limiters back then. The CAT converters were introduced in 72, 73, 74 in phases-in over that time. HP dropped by 50%. People who had experienced the earlier cars were Disappointed. Sad.Sick. But the reduced HP cars came to be loved by buyers. They were less riotous but everything was. It took until 2001 with the 405HP Z06 to regain that ground.

But the thing is this. Now days there are 450 HP I-4 engines. Benz has one. Many i-4s near 400 HP. The small 2 seater Audi is over 400 HP. The 30K$ mustang has 460. Therefore under 500 sounds like the little leagues. There are right fielders in the little leagues who can make the throw to home plate on a single hop, but little leagues is still the little leagues. A 465 HP C8 Vette may be able to make the throw from deep right to home-plate. But little leagues is still little leagues.

The thing needs 575 HP whether it needs it or not. Even if it does not, it still very much does: 575 HP C8
                      Ding ding ding... you just rang my bell!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E6C80185-14C4-47E7-BA1A-FE4130C3DB27.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	32761 It will ALWAYS come up short of something, but will be better than anything at its price. I’ll take one whatever the hp number is.
                        The least we can do is wave to each other

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post

I found amusing all this "marketing" HP discussion. What really matters is HP to the wheels, in this regard, the ME will have less mechanical power loss in addition to the benefits of the layout.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxster View Post

I found amusing all this "marketing" HP discussion. What really matters is HP to the wheels, in this regard, the ME will have less mechanical power loss in addition to the benefits of the layout.
                            You are on the mark. Exactly right. Horse Power is a metaphor for life, at least in our wonderful America. How much money/wealth does one individual actually need. How much does one desire. It a big fractal from there: How many vehicles needed v. desired. Square feet needed v. desired. Pairs of pairs of sneakers needed v desired (the kids are into it too.). All stuff that is quantified is "unfair" game. I'm amused like you are the more i think about it, the more amused. So, thank you Maxster: 575 for all Sheepdogs, because it is healthy to laugh at oneself, while howling at false moons. So long as the moon is known to be what it is and no more.

175 HP might be enough. But 1000 is on the menu. A lot of people are licking their lips. Counting their pennies too. And having fun laughing at themselves and one another.

The aromas of 1000 HP cooking on the C8 menu. Amused to the point of gitty. The benefits of the layout plus 1000 HP is going the be amusing to the fortunate few that have the money. I will probably be more envious than amused at that . But still amused.
                            Last edited by SheepDog; 04-16-2019, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Good points gentlemen. So if the 2020 ME Corvette comes with a “100 HP rating, but does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, would we buy it?

Comment

I have a BMW diesel X5 SUV rated at 265 horsepower. I recently drove an identical SUV with a 300 horsepower gas engine. My lower horsepower diesel makes that gas engine vehicle look like a slug. Of course, the difference is the torque, the torque curve, and the gearing.

Nevertheless, we are talking V8 gas powered Corvettes. There would be a lot of disappointed people if GM did not give them bragging rights of at least 500 horsepower.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X