Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Question: when best to attend Ron Fellows C8 Driving School?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: when best to attend Ron Fellows C8 Driving School?

Does anyone think it best to attend the C8 driving school after the instructors have had a 2-day break (well-rested; more cheerful instructors?)...rather than choose 2 days which fall on the heels of a prior 2-day school? Or similarly, should one avoid a weekend course since instructors may be "distracted" and less likely to put in extra time, when (for example) they're focused on getting to a Saturday night event? Any other advice on scheduling, if there's any difference?

I suspect none of this makes any difference, and as usual I'm over-thinking things, but I'll ask since I'm a "Ron Fellows newbie" and looking to maximize my experience. Many thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

I know the time of year can be a factor and that's why they offer a lower price and extra overnight stay during the hotter months when fewer attend, but that's not my question.

They are professionals. I think you are picking at gnats. They are positive, energetic, enthusiastic, friendly and a pleasure to interact with. I have been there many times and every time they have been upbeat.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

We were at the end of the week. A Friday and Saturday and it was very well done and everybody was positive and energetic. Our main classroom instructor was JJ and he made it very entertaining.

So no worries about when to attend in my experience.

Comment

Those guys were fantastic and Professional. I cannot imagine them NOT Being that way.

Pick a day and go have fun
        Rapid Blue 3LT, HTO Tension Blue, Z51, 5ZZ, E60, ZZ3, ZYC, FE4, J6N, FA5, Q8Q, SHW, VJR, C2Q, R8C

Comment

When best to attend Ron Fellows C8 Driving School?
          Assuming it's my first driving school, I might ask myself these questions:

When will I be ready to get the most from a driving school?
          After the instruction, I may be (too) eager to practice my new lessons.
          Is my car broken in?
          Am I thoroughly familiar with the driving aspects of the C8?

I think the student should be attentive to his own readiness.

Just me thinking out loud.
          C8 Coupe, Zeus Bronze, 3LT, TU7, HUE, GUI, CF7, EFY, EYK, J6N, NPP, E60, STI, VQK

Comment

The staff at Spring Mtg. are good all the time. I was there in August and the ambient temp was 112 degrees. The staff were very good and taught me a lot. I noticed they had the AC going in the Corvettes as we left the classroom. Having said all that next time I will go late October or early April just because of heat. My simple advice is just don't miss out. Charlie, an old man aka cutnout

Comment

Any day ending in "Y"
              Ceramic Gray Metallic Z51 w/TT interior Spec Grey Wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Ralston View Post

Assuming it's my first driving school, I might ask myself these questions:

When will I be ready to get the most from a driving school?
                After the instruction, I may be (too) eager to practice my new lessons.
                Is my car broken in?
                Am I thoroughly familiar with the driving aspects of the C8?

I think the student should be attentive to his own readiness.

Just me thinking out loud.
                Agree to some extent, but the one thing you will come out of the class with is an appreciation for your own abilities, not just the car's. And you will be much more familiar with the characteristics of the C8 than you'll ever get by yourself. If you come out of the class thinking you're going to drive on the street the way you did on the track, you probably weren't listening. There were a couple of people in the class I was in earlier this month who didn't even own C8s. They did just fine.
                Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Agree to some extent, but the one thing you will come out of the class with is an appreciation for your own abilities, not just the car's. And you will be much more familiar with the characteristics of the C8 than you'll ever get by yourself. If you come out of the class thinking you're going to drive on the street the way you did on the track, you probably weren't listening. There were a couple of people in the class I was in earlier this month who didn't even own C8s. They did just fine.

Just curious, did the non owners mention how they got there, as in a media exemption, dealer training or something?

When I went to sign up it was a hard and fast rule that you needed your C8 VIN to do so. "C8 Owners School" and at the time mine was being delivered but I lacked a VIN yet.

Or was that only for the discounted rate?

Comment

The instructors are outstanding. I’m sure it’s like any other career, where it may become monotonous at times, but trust me, your safety is paramount to anything else which may occur in the classroom and on the track. You will learn, you will amaze yourself, and you will walk away with hitherto unknown knowledge about your driving skills and driving limitations. Personally speaking, I attended with open ears and a closed mouth, and learned tons.
                    07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 03/06/21 Status 3300 (TPW 03/22/21); 03/16/21 Status 3400; 03/22/21 Status 3800; 03/23/21 Status 4B00; 03/26/21 Status 4D00: Status 4200; 04/02/21; 04/06/21 Status 5000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

”I’m not the best in town, but I’m the best, until the best comes around“

Comment

Originally posted by MrBluster View Post
                      Any day ending in "Y"
                      Those are the same days I'm going!
                      2021 2LT HTC, front lift, MRCS, GT2 natural Napa 2 tone seats, Perf. exh and all wrapped in Red Mist metallic, lowered w/Paragon collars and riding on BC Forged wheels 😎
                      Delivered 1/26/21 VIN 00921

Comment

I agree with Ralston’s comments, but again don’t over think it. I took the class after 3 months of ownership and about 3500 miles of driving myC8. There is something to be said for having some amount of time behind the wheel of a C8 before you go so that you are at least comfortable and familiar with it. I’m glad I didn’t t go any later based on what I learned, but to be honest my timeframe was chosen more about not wanting to go to NV in the heat of the summer than anything else.
                        Initial deposit for 2021 Red Mist HTC 11/25/2019 @Criswell
                        2000 status 2/13/2021
                        3000 status 2/17/2021
                        3300 status 4/23/2021
                        3400 status 5/5/2021
                        3800 status 5/22/2021
                        4000 status 6/4/2021

Comment

I've got over 7,500 miles on my 2020 C8 so far...and plan to go in January 2022: January 10 and 11 look to be the likely dates; should any other MECF members be going then, LMK. I booked time off for Nevada back in April of this year but had to cancel due to COVID travel restrictions for our two countries and flights. I'm now over my one year anniversary but GM has extended my subsidized course deadline until the end of January, which I'm told they've done for a lot of Canadians. I'd asked the extension go into the Spring of 2022 since I'll park the car soon when the snow hits, until March (likely) and wanted to have the course under my belt just before the start of the 2022 driving season. However I'll be happy with whatever dates I get at this point.

I've had 2 driving courses in the past here in Canada with different vehicles and had the most fun EVER driving a vehicle (ie. my 2005 BMW M3) around a track over a long w/e with the help of an instructor, so I'm chomping at the bit, knowing driving a C8 at Ron Fellows will be WAAAAY more fun!

And I expect January will be a "warm-up" for the Ron Fellows course I'm hoping GM will again subsidize for Z06 owners. Here's to COVID being a thing of the past when that rolls around!

My thanks to all for the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Denizen View Post

Just curious, did the non owners mention how they got there, as in a media exemption, dealer training or something?

When I went to sign up it was a hard and fast rule that you needed your C8 VIN to do so. "C8 Owners School" and at the time mine was being delivered but I lacked a VIN yet.

Or was that only for the discounted rate?
                            The VIN is necessary for GM to subsidize the class. RF will happily take your money if you want to pay full price, and they did. One was there as a gift from his daughter, the other considering the purchase of a C8 but really wanted to drive one in anger first, and was willing to pay for the privilege.

IIRC, the gentleman whose daughter paid for the class was 84 years old, and had the fastest time in his group for the autocross. Maybe the fastest time overall.
                            Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I went in August too. It was hot, but I didn’t care. The AC works great. They also had a discounted price ($800) and an extra night in the condo for July and August. They said they work 7 days a week, so no way to know whether it’s your instructors “Monday” or “Friday”, their days off vary. Kind of like the airline business, a Saturday and Sunday “weekend” really has no meaning.

I had my car for 8 months before attending the class. You certainly don’t have to wait nearly that long, but I found it beneficial that I was comfortable with the car. Not only actually driving, but also the electronics…..selecting driver modes, PTM modes, PDR settings, etc. Again, not required, but I found it helpful to not be searching around or not really knowing how to make changes. The instructors are always there to help and will check to see that you are set up the way they want, but nice to know what you are doing.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X