MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Official Announcement of The C8’s 7.18.19 Reveal; Video of The C8’s Ride; C7 Production Ending This Year

2 of 3 < >

MidEngineCorvetteForum Traveling “Forum Flag” Program Created!

We just created our MECF traveling Forum Flag Program thanks to “Ripper!” Would YOU like to display our forum flag on your Corvette, become a member of this program? Thanks for looking at the thread, especially at FVS’ created Forum Flag.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...rogram-created
3 of 3 < >

C8 Section Re-Organization, With Our New “Mid Engine Exterior/Interior Pictures, Videos and Renderings” Section

MECF members asked for our segregating pictures, renderings and videos into one area; looking ahead, that section will become our most viewed area once you get your C8’s. Pre-existing threads that fit are now being moved. Thank you for the suggestion!
See more
See less

CNBC article suggest that C8 could have between 500 and 600 HP base engine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ferraris non turbo flat plane crank v8 i believe went to about 4.5 liters in the 458 model. That model i believe was rated at 570 hp at 9000 rpm.

the two. Turbo 3.9 liter prodices 660 hp.

i would have thought corvette could if it went with a flat plane crank could range from 3.9 liters to 4.5 liters. As great as all this seems...with the realization of a rear mid engine amd a dct in a corvette c8..as long as the LT2 produces 500 hp...im not plamming on moving to the twin tirbo dohc engine amd the various costs associated with that design.

im that happy with gm s ohv engine design, reliability and power levels...not to mention cost of purchase.

there will always be someone with a faster more powerful sports car and Im ok with that...

i just want at least 10 percent more than i currently have just for the hell of it.

Comment

This is an interesting comparision of the ferrari flat plane crank dry sump v8 amd the maserati version of the same engine tjat is wet sump and has a cross plane crank.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F154_engine

could this become the differentiations between the cadillac blackwing 4.2 liter dohc motor and tje version the higher performance corvette models will ise?

its a logical comparision creating brand differentiations ...probably a year before we know one way or the other.

Comment

I really don't think too many people are going to cross shopping the base model C8 with Porsche Turbos or Acura NSXs. To sell this car, GM needs to keep the price low, not try to complete with exotics that cost over $150K.

When they get to the ZR-1 version, or maybe even the Z06 version, they'd better be prepared to compete with those cars.
        Last edited by meyerweb; 04-14-2019, 06:14 PM.
        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
        >31,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by electroVette View Post
          A FPC is highly doubtful with a displacement over 4.5L or so since the vibration would harm reliability/durability. Ford's FPC 5.0L V8 has serious reliability issues for precisely this reason. Also, ask the GT350 owners about long road trips in their four-wheeled vibrators. Part of the Corvette's formula is that it can serve as a comfortable grand tourer so I doubt they would introduce the severe NVH issues that go with a large displacement FPC.
          You may be right, as I was just reporting what's been rumored from Car and Driver, although the Mustang GT350 has a 5.2L FPC engine with 526 HP and 429 lb-ft:

The first to follow the LT1 will be a naturally aspirated 5.5-liter DOHC V-8 with a flat-plane crankshaft capable of a Ferrari 458–like maximum engine speed of 9000 rpm. Sympathy for the transaxle, though, means the engine speed will be limited to several hundred rpm below that. That engine should be good for at least 600 horsepower.

Then, because it is totally unnecessary, Chevy will bolt two turbochargers and two big air-to-water intercoolers to the 5.5-liter V-8. The turbo engine will make about 800 owner-maiming horsepower.
          Car and Driver: What to expect from the long-awaited mid-engined Vette.
          Last edited by Mobius; 04-14-2019, 07:42 PM.
          Current Vettes:
          '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
          '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
          '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
          "Delta t = 23"

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post

You may be right, as I was just reporting what's been rumored from Car and Driver, although the Mustang GT350 has a 5.2L FPC engine with 526 HP and 429 lb-ft:
            [/URL]
            We'll see. C&D has some good sources but they also make educated guesses that can turn out to be wrong.

Comment

I think there could be a lot of porsche owners who are fed up with porsches pricing could make the switch to a rear mid engine corvette...

the boxster cayman four cylinder turbo motor has been widely rejected by porsche buyers.

that vehicles sales are in a free fall.

i believe that many ferrari and lamborghini owners might keep their beloved italian play things and add a RME c8 for short periods of ownership early on...

when they eventually sell their c8s these guys can then go on and on at ferrari lamborghini events describing either tje virtues or shortfalls of the 70 to 110 grand standard c8 to all their blue blooded buddies...

i believe and I could be wrong...this next new generation corvette will jave the highest level of conquest sales ever seen by chevrolet...

the corvette team already showed the world back in 2014 what they could do with regards to improving interior materials and i believe 6 years later the corvette team has found ways to take the c8 interior to new heights never imagined before.

i for one never cared with the exception tjat i get tired of hearing no nothing foreign car lovers spouting off old jokes about corvette interiors...

for 2014 the c7 interior was clearly world class....

the c8 will be even bettter ...

square steering two spoke wheel not withstanding...

weird but what the heck...

im curious about the level of individual options offered to buyers to raise that IAT like porsche does...

i fully expect massive option laden vehicles arriving at showrooms once the pre ordering of corvettes by enthusiasts subsides...

should be wild

Comment

I talked to top five Corvette dealer in 2014 and he sold more to Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati and similar owners then than he had done before — a nice step in the right direction. Of course we all know it was a small amount, but nice to start the process of brand conquests to Corvette. Betting that small opened door back then will become a good sized one starting soon (once orders go in).

Lots of folks with very expensive exotics do not like to put miles of them (resale depreciation), so having a Corvette ME as your DD is going to be a very nice option for many.
                So many questions about the ME right now, but the answers are nicely, though slowly, coming out.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                  Crate GM motors rarely meet either current emissions or fuel consumption standards for brand new vehicles, e.g., the 2020 C8. However, the engine enhancements that JB found and shared earlier re one of the new GM motors, the 2.7L TT, which could be used to juice up the LT1 — which is exactly what I think has nicely happened.

This video about that motor’s enhanced features was first brought to our attention by JB.

Thus IMO, if we take the LT1, which was originally designed around eight years ago, and make some of those same 2.7L enhancements, I believe both 500+ HP & TQ are reasonable for the LT2.
                  If they can engineer an axially sliding camshaft into a pushrod V8 then I predict we will be shocked by the power gains. Imagine perfectly optimized cam profiles for both low rpm and high rpm.

Unfortunately the leaked catalog description of the LT2 doesn't suggest any new features:
                  "Engine Gas, 8 Cyl, 6.2L DI, AFM, VVT, HO, Alum"

I really hoped we would at least get port injection to keep the valves clean but I guess the accountants beat that idea down to a bloody pulp.

Of course, it could have features not in the dealer catalog description, but it seems like they would want to advertise the new features.

Comment

Honda's VVT did variable valve timing without a sliding camshaft, a couple of decades ago. Don't know if that sort of approach would work in an OHV engine, though.
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >31,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Do you mean Honda's VTEC which activates a high lift cam above a certain RPM? It uses pins to lock rocker arms together. Maybe a pushrod variant could be engineered, but it's more complex than GM's new axial sliding camshaft.

Somehow I don't think they've put that much R&D into the LT2, though. I suspect most of the R&D went into the DOHC V8, perhaps in both NA and TT variants, or maybe only a TT variant.

Comment

Perhaps the LT2 will be used in GM’s pickups and bigger SUVs. I know for sure that two years went into its development — though probably some of that time was developing the same enhancements for other motors.
                        So many questions about the ME right now, but the answers are nicely, though slowly, coming out.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                          Perhaps the LT2 will be used in GM’s pickups and bigger SUVs. I know for sure that two years went into its development — though probably some of that time was developing the same enhancements for other motors.
                          Two years isn't very long for the development of a new engine. That sounds like they just reworked the heads for better flow, added dynamic fuel management, and optimized the induction and exhaust systems for the larger engine bay of the C8.

I'm hearing tales of C8 performance relative to the C7 ZO6 that can only be true if the LT2 produces around 550+ hp. I want to believe, but with only two years development. Hmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by electroVette View Post

Two years isn't very long for the development of a new engine. That sounds like they just reworked the heads for better flow, added dynamic fuel management, and optimized the induction and exhaust systems for the larger engine bay of the C8.

I'm hearing tales of C8 performance relative to the C7 ZO6 that can only be true if the LT2 produces around 550+ hp. I want to believe, but with only two years development. Hmmmm.
                            As technology advances so does R&D time. The base was already there... I'd be happy with 550!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X