MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Official Announcement of The C8’s 7.18.19 Reveal; Video of The C8’s Ride; C7 Production Ending This Year

2 of 4 < >

MidEngineCorvetteForum Traveling “Forum Flag” Program Created!

We just created our MECF traveling Forum Flag Program thanks to “Ripper!” Would YOU like to display our forum flag on your Corvette, become a member of this program? Thanks for looking at the thread, especially at FVS’ created Forum Flag.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...rogram-created
3 of 4 < >

C8 Section Re-Organization, With Our New “Mid Engine Exterior/Interior Pictures, Videos and Renderings” Section

MECF members asked for our segregating pictures, renderings and videos into one area; looking ahead, that section will become our most viewed area once you get your C8’s. Pre-existing threads that fit are now being moved. Thank you for the suggestion!
4 of 4 < >

Stay Tuned As Chazcron Works On His Latest Project, The ME IP/Dashboard! Not New, But 48 Wonderful High Resolution C8 Pictures

Stay Tuned As Chazcron Works On His Latest Project, The ME IP/Dashboard! Also, High Resolution C8 Pictures!

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...f-the-interior

48 High Resolution C8 Pictures:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...8-spy-pictures
See more
See less

CNBC article suggest that C8 could have between 500 and 600 HP base engine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

500 hp is pretty impressive for the c8 z51 with dct fe2 for 68 grand...

Comment

The allocation system is a little different. Not saying your cousin will not get the very first one that dealer sells, and also that the dealer might not be getting an allocation in the first month or three however for your cousin — just that there are overriding factors.

However the total allocation system is instead based on GM’s policy of “the more your turn, the more you earn” allocation system. So if that dealer is a very high Corvette sales volume dealer and he/she puts in your cousin’s order as the dealer’s first priority C8 order, again your cousin’s car could be built early. However, if that dealer is instead a medium or a lower priority dealer and as GM will no where be able to make as many C8’s in the first few months (maybe even the first year) as customers want, your cousin could be waiting and waiting until that dealership’s priority comes up.

There is also a second consideration, and that is based on the C7 example, since suppliers can often not make enough of a highly desired option (with its unique parts), as soon as customers might want. As a specific example, in the third month of C7 orders going in through the weekly consensus,’ there were still a whole bunch of constrained options individuals wanted (best example being the visible carbon fiber top). So if there is, hypothetically, there would again be a 50% constraint on that option for the C8, GM would (based on history), grant the very top dealers all or almost all of the visible carbon fiber optioned orders they want/submit for their customers, but for a medium dealer might only have one such top for it, yet not grant even a visible CF top to a smaller dealer for that consensus.

There is a whole bunch more on this process in this thread should anyone be interested:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-your-corvette

Hope your cousin gets his C8 very, very early on in the production process — with the options he has chosen. However, if a couple of his chosen options are constrained, that he is willing to compromise on them. If a person is however not willing to compromise on an option (or more than one), typically a dealer would offer that person the right to have his order “slide to a future consensus” when that option were available to be matched with the order, and then move up someone from what was a future consensus if that person was not requesting constrained options.

Note, at the very beginning of a new color being offered, it too can be a constrained option, and often (but not always) a new color may be introduced into the production process around a month or more later.

Lots for every one of us to consider as we get closer to placing our orders...
      So many questions about the ME right now, but the answers are nicely, though slowly, coming out.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

I think the constraints in the first year will be substantial. If I go for a C8 (seems more likely than I thought six months ago) it won't be until 2021 at the earliest, when prices drift below MSRP and some late arriving options get on the order list.

But a 535 hp DCT car with a retractable hardtop at a MSRP in the $75K range sounds good. Heck, the MSRP on my 2LT 2015 A8 Z51 roadster was around $76K, and that was in 2014 dollars.
        Last edited by Milliwatt Rob; 04-12-2019, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Crate GM motors rarely meet either current emissions or fuel consumption standards for brand new vehicles, e.g., the 2020 C8. However, the engine enhancements that JB found and shared earlier re one of the new GM motors, the 2.7L TT, which could be used to juice up the LT1 — which is exactly what I think has nicely happened.

This video about that motor’s enhanced features was first brought to our attention by JB.

Thus IMO, if we take the LT1, which was originally designed around eight years ago, and make some of those same 2.7L enhancements, I believe both 500+ HP & TQ are reasonable for the LT2.
          Last edited by John; 04-12-2019, 08:07 PM.
          So many questions about the ME right now, but the answers are nicely, though slowly, coming out.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            If a person is however not willing to compromise on an option (or more than one), typically a dealer would offer that person the right to have his order “slide to a future consensus” when that option were available to be matched with the order, and then move up someone from what was a future consensus if that person was not requesting constrained options.
            Yea. All roofs were on constraint except transparent when I ordered my 2014. Got a call from the dealer, I'd be in line with a $1,000 transparent roof. Told him I'd pay half, He checked and they said no. So I paid and so glad. The dark roof looks great on the blade silver.

Comment

I love the way when you are inside the C7 with the translucent roof, when it is daylight that you can see through it; it casts a pleasant bluish tint, and that you can see its nice curves — from either seat. Very cool looking.

We see that C8’s roof, in certain spy pics, also seems to have a similar “double bubble profile” but that is something we would need to confirm 97 days from now.

Comment

Originally posted by Z_Rocks View Post
                For $62K, a ME Corvette with 500+HP with DCT is ONE HELL OF A BARGAIN.
                That car isn't just for power. watch how tight that suspension is. It's going to be a FUN car to drive without breaking the bank.

My Cousin just put down $50K deposit with a Miami dealer yesterday that gives him written guarantee on the MSRP price, first in the list (the list is sorted by deposit amount and not date of deposit) and the check does not get cashed by dealer (stays in bank's vault) and it is fully refundable.
                Basically, the dealer shows proof to GM the # of solid orders he has and can buy as many cars as deposited orders. They are first by GM (according to what he was told).

Funny, he bought a Civic Type-R for $35K cash, put 4 carbon fiber wheels and tires on it. Drove it for 3000 miles and sold it for $50K. Turned around put the $50K as a deposit for a Black C8.
                WOW, that is crazy. LOL, I am on the fence with a builder in my area on an expensive semi-custom house because they want 5k earnest money down that is non-refundable for the entire project. The builder said the house will take about 9 to12 months to build and that my 5k is gone if I decide not to buy at closing. I know that is very reasonable, I am just a cheap A at least that is what my wife says.

My C8 has been on a local list since 2015 as I am #2 & the owner is number 1. No deposit, I am friends with the dealer plus they don't like taking deposits until the product is ordered, they are a good O boy dealer. They are one of the largest GM/GMC truck dealers in the USA. They only take people they know for the list or referrals from people on the C8 list. They delivered 3 C7 ZR1's, I bought my two C7 from them
                Last edited by Fasttoys; 04-13-2019, 12:45 AM.

Comment

I’m hoping the base model has 550HP , 🤞

Comment

My earlier post is more about marketing than it is about performance. I am sure you don’t need over 500 horse power for it to perform very well. But from a marketing standpoint it is a numbers game.

As someone else said, as long as it begins with a 5 I think everyone will be fairly happy
                    Last edited by fvs; 04-13-2019, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                      This video about that motor’s enhanced features was first brought to our attention by JB.

The most interesting part of the video (for me) is the discussion on cam profile, that begins at 6:00.

With this tech, it wouldn't surprise me if a 550 HP engine that's also equipped with cylinder deactivation could both meet emissions and get 30+ MPG highway.

The LT2 (based on the LT1) with it's pushrod tech, likely won't have the variable cam. We may need to wait for the new 5.5L flat-plane crank Z06 motor.
                      Last edited by Mobius; 04-13-2019, 07:38 PM.
                      Current Vettes:
                      '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                      '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
                      '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
                      "Delta t = 23"

Comment

The Chevy small block push rod is blessed by development and reliability and loved by a faithful following. Pray that it will stay. But flat-plane crank V8 will be a great complement and alternative for those who want that experience in a mid engine C8, at a Corvette cost and, hopefully, Corvette reliability level.

So, we have a lot to be wide eyed about going on 07.18.19 and the months that lead on to the DOHC flat-plane crank revelation. A lot to speculate about.

Some people will want and buy the C8 in both engine set-ups at the same time for less than the out-the-door price of a 911 GT3, after they turbo load/price the 911 options as they do..
                        Last edited by SheepDog; 04-14-2019, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Merely 500 HP in a vehicle that has top level handling will be stupendous. But sheer numbers matter. The NSX and 570 have about 570 HP and so do some others. Will that be a deciding influence on the base C8, surely on the others, but what about on the base C8?? What is the target: 911 TurboS? The training partner?
                          Last edited by SheepDog; 04-14-2019, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Like the first year C7, which won 21 major awards, the 2020 C8 with about 500 HP/TQ IMO, will be a very formidable performer. A year later, I believe the Z06 version would be schooling the top customer Porsches and the McLaren, but again we are going to need to wait another year for that version to happen.

Comment

After the C8 is released, and probably very soon after, Some one or more of the tuners will surely own one, C8, and be overcome by curiosity. Then we will all get a preview of higher levels of performance in the platform. Even if not the DHOC edition. The LT4 and LT5 type engines would still make the C8 perform amazingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post

There was an article yesterday that stated the C8 Z06 would come with the new normally aspirated 5.5L (more lucky 5s!) flat-plane crank engine... I'd guess that engine will be in the 675-700HP range.

A FPC is highly doubtful with a displacement over 4.5L or so since the vibration would harm reliability/durability. Ford's FPC 5.2L Voodoo V8 has serious reliability issues for precisely this reason. Also, ask the GT350 owners about long road trips in their four-wheeled vibrators. Part of the Corvette's formula is that it can serve as a comfortable grand tourer so I doubt they would introduce the severe NVH issues that go with a large displacement FPC.

Last edited by electroVette; 04-16-2019, 11:16 AM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X