Clear All

• Z06 Gearing Revealed!!

From the video John posted at 11:43 this morning

Click image for larger version

Name:	Z06 gearing photo.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	321642

We can see that the car is still in 3rd gear at about 8000 rpm and shifts right at 100 mph. If the car were geared identical to my Z51, at 8,000 rpm in 3rd gear I'd be doing 103 MPH and 109 MPH at 8500 rpm. The non-Z51 car would be at 116 MPH at 8500 rpm.

So we know that 3rd gear is about 9% shorter than Z51 gearing (net of any tire diameter change, which I did not calculate) and will top out at 100 mph. So did GM just change the final drive ratio by about 10% or is this just one data point in a DCT with a variety of new ratios?
    2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Thanks Ragtop99. Would you then please calculate for us if they just changed all the gears by that about 10% what would its top speed be?
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

There's a "that's what she said" joke to be made here but anyways, for those who follow this forum the 8500 rpm redline is old news.

Even so, to see the tach wind out in the video kind of made me proud as an American. When I was a kid the idea of GM producing such a mid engine Corvette was of course rumored but I knew in the back of my mind that even if they brought it to market it wouldn't stand up to foreign competition. Not this time. This time it will stand on it's own, with no qualifiers like "for a budget sports car" required.

What Juechter and his team have done with the Corvette is truly amazing. He's every bit the equal to Zora Arkus Duntov. I feel fortunate to be living through this renaissance in American cars.

Comment

Z51+ 9%with 8500 rpm redline
        1st = 42 MPH
        2nd = 69 MPH
        3rd = 100 MPH
        4th = 139 MPH
        5th = 188 MPH
        6th = 240 MPH

200 MPH in 6th gear would be at 7100 rpm.

The interesting thing is that a straight 9% means 3rd gear drops to about 5900 rpm on the 2-3 upshift. That's a little lower than I would have guessed would be the target.

If 7th and 8th gear are not changed, 1500 rpm cruise would be
        7th gear = 54 MPH
        8th gear = 65 MPH

8th gear at 2,000 rpm = 87 MPH

That potential increase in rpms would make the car a bit more responsive on the highway.
        Last edited by Ragtop 99; 10-20-2021, 03:10 PM. Reason: Original 200 MPH at 6500 was a typo
        2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Comment

I'm sure the DCT and/or the rear gearing is different. More power and higher RPM require different gearing. Easiest thing would be to just install a higher rear gear and keep the DCT gears the same.
          Last edited by 2021articspeed; 10-20-2021, 03:02 PM.
          2021 Red Mist 3LT / Z51 /Front Lift / Black with Red trim HUU custom interior / CF Mirrors and Wing / Red Belts and Stitching / TPW Aug 16th

Comment

Originally posted by 2021articspeed View Post
            I'm sure the DCT and/or the rear gearing is different. More power and higher RPM require different gearing. Easiest thing would be to just install a higher rear gear and keep the DCT gears the same.
            Easiest is the rear ratio change. Best would be to tighten up 4th through 6th gear for better high speed performance.

Comment

Interesting! We know the tires are larger on the C8Z06! Just need to figure that factor in.

Comment

OK!! This is the kinda sophisticated technical analysis we will be seeing from many smart MECF members after the reveal. Thanks!
                Last edited by Boomer; 10-20-2021, 06:17 PM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                Working...
                X