POLL: Z06 Compared To Z51 Ride Firmness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: Z06 Compared To Z51 Ride Firmness

This afternoon my wife and I went on an exercising our Corvette thrill ride down a wonderful curvy, country, Corvette scenic road literally starting a block from our house. I put it in track mode and hammered down through the curves when appropriate, full acceleration out of them. The C8 is such a fantastic car! We just grinned the entire trip. We additionally deliberate chose a side road detour that is of marginal pavement for about half of the trip. Not potholes but bumpy, very bumpy with a lot of irregular pavement to see how stiff the Z51’s ride was in track mode. Did it ever corner so well!

Click image for larger version  Name:	2660479A-A37D-47B8-8EAF-930C1CADAF5C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	601.6 KB ID:	320566

So that got us to wondering as we are considering a Z06/Z07, e.g., what will its comparative ride be like?

​​​​​​One piece of historical data which of course will change at least a little, is that the spring rates on the C7 Z07 were 62% higher for the front and 28% higher for the rear springs than on the C7 Z51.

All please vote twice, e.g., that is once for the entry Z06 section and once in the Z07 section.

The question is please: What do you think when comparing the Z06 to the Z51’s ride on irregular pavement?
    The entry Z06 will be about the same , e.g., tour will be about the same on smooth roads.
    12.77%
    The entry Z06 will always be one step firmer than the Z51, e.g., tour in Z= sport in Z51.
    48.94%
    The entry Z06 will always be one step firmer except equal on smooth pavement.
    31.91%
    The entry Z06 will be two steps firmer than the Z51, e.g., tour in Z= track in Z51.
    0%
    The Z07 will be about the same, e.g., tour will be about the same in both on smooth roads.
    2.13%
    The Z07 will always be one step firmer than the Z51, e.g., tour in Z = sport in Z51.
    8.51%
    The Z07 will always be two steps firmer than the Z51, e.g., tour in Z = track in Z51.
    44.68%
    The Z07 will be three or more steps firmer than the Z51, stiffer than the Z51 ever is in track.
    10.64%
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

That hard acceleration out of turns is a HOOT! Unlike in the C7 where you felt like if you accelerating too hard out of the turn the rear end would slide out, in the C8 you feel like if anything you would get a four wheel slide, but it just holds fast……

To me, the Z51 in track mode is livable on smooth pavement…but I would hope that the Z06/Z07 in touring mode would be softer than that.
    Last edited by Meldoon; 10-16-2021, 07:13 PM.
    Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

I'm hoping for about the same ride in Tour on the Z06 entry level car as the Z51. I like the Z51 ride. The roads are garbage here in California, and getting worse, even though we have the highest gas taxes in the nation and some of the most mild weather.

Comment

I seriously doubt they will be the same. They were definitely a least one step firmer in the C7 z06 than the C7 Z51. I would hope the entry Z would be equal to sport in Z51, the Z07 be about equal a cross between sport and track in Z51.

That is one of my first questions I will be asking.

I just added this into the OP (should have been there all along), but for who already voted and are starting this thread here, the spring rates for the Z07 were 62% stiffer for the front springs and 28% stiffer for the rear springs than they were for the entry C7 Z06 version.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

If you would John, make your second question…….Will the Z07 body parts be available as an add-on to a otherwise base model? I would like the “look” without the harsh ride.

Comment

Historically, they (Z07 aero parts) were not available except from over the counter from your GM parts counter and of course from aftermarket suppliers; again historically one could not spec a entry Z06 and click off on a factory order an optional a set of Z07 aero parts and have them put on at the PDI.

But you have asked a very interesting question (my # 2 question now thanks to you) in that, will for the C8 entry Z06 there now be a box that allows one to order as part of your original factory order, option “Z07 AERO” and have them shipped to your dealership and put on as part of the PDI. I think not but clearly the last two years, especially for 2022 SR’s, GM has been/is now allowing more and more choices. So hopefully!

If that were allowed, count me also in for an entry Z06 with the Z07 aero option package (my gladly foregoing the Z07’s C-C brakes, the stiffer suspension parts (springs,bushings and revised mag ride calibrated shocks), the Cup2’s and who knows what else.

This could get really intersting. Thank you Meldoon. Of course some would for the reason of “aesthetic no thanks,” would not even close to pursuing that option if it were to be available.

At the 7.18.19 reveal I was fortunate to talk to Harlan 1 to 1 (especially as there were 1,350 people there) and my first question to him was, “could you order the Z51 spoiler without the spoiler or the splitter without the spoiler, and his answer to both was “no.” Now in 2022 SR orderers’ have choices, so maybe Z06 customers might also…

Comment

Exactly. And why sports car race tracks are very smooth surfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                I seriously doubt they will be the same. They were definitely a least one step firmer in the C7 z06 than the C7 Z51. I would hope the entry Z would be equal to sport in Z51, the Z07 be about equal a cross between sport and track in Z51.

That is one of my first questions I will be asking.

I just added this into the OP (should have been there all along), but for who already voted and are starting this thread here, the spring rates for the Z07 were 62% stiffer for the front springs and 28% stiffer for the rear springs than they were for the entry C7 Z06 version.
                Do you know how the base C7 Z06 spring rates compared to the C7 Z51?

Another poll that would be interesting would be rather than "what do you expect", but instead "what would you like". I think there are a lot of potential buyers that I will call GT car buyers or daily drivers, who want the engine performance, styling, sound, bigger tire grip, but don't want to get beaten up if daily driving the Z06 on public roads. I think the Corvette team did a phenomenal job doing this with the C8, especially the Z51 with Magnetic Ride Suspension. It handles great, and in Tour mode, rides great, too. I'm really enjoying it.

Comment

I totally agree that there will be a lot of Z06 GT drivers — and for them GM has created the entry Z06. If that is the only option to get a GT ride, then one could get an entry version and put on later as many aero aftermarket components as one wishes and still keep the non-Z07 firmer ride. The question is whether GM will want to tap some of those mega millions of heretofore aftermarket dollars by creating an entry Z06 with OEM, Z06 optional aero components. As noted, they are starting to loosen up that door via for 2022 Stingrays which can now be Z51’s but not have the 2020 & 2021 OEM splitter nor spoilers. Will they provide a comparable path for the Z06 from the git-go, will it happen over a year or three later, or will it never happen?

Hoepfully we start to learn a few of these answers in 9 1/2 days.

Sorry, but I do not remember comparative C7 spring rates entry versus Z51.

Comment

Narrower tires ride better than wider tires and tramline less. Lower un-sprung mass rides better than higher un-sprung mass (which the Z06 will have and the Z07 will also likely have even with carbon wheels). The Z06 will have stiffer springs than the Z51 (as it did on the C7) and the Z07 will have even stiffer springs. MSRC can make a softer spring simulate a stiffer spring but it can't make a stiffer spring simulate a softer spring.

The Z51 will have a better ride than the Z06/Z07. But it isn't directly related to steps in firmness. There will be some conditions where the difference will be unnoticeable and other conditions where it will be glaring.

I had the opportunity to "upgrade" my C7 Z51 to a Grand Sport but I declined. While it would have been fun to have the better handling of the Grand Sport during spirited driving I spend the majority of my time touring. The Z51 with MSRC was a better fit for me.
                    2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

Michael right the road in Cal suck and getting worse

Comment

Originally posted by RKCRLR View Post
                        Narrower tires ride better than wider tires and tramline less. Lower un-sprung mass rides better than higher un-sprung mass (which the Z06 will have and the Z07 will also likely have even with carbon wheels). The Z06 will have stiffer springs than the Z51 (as it did on the C7) and the Z07 will have even stiffer springs. MSRC can make a softer spring simulate a stiffer spring but it can't make a stiffer spring simulate a softer spring.

The Z51 will have a better ride than the Z06/Z07. But it isn't directly related to steps in firmness. There will be some conditions where the difference will be unnoticeable and other conditions where it will be glaring.

I had the opportunity to "upgrade" my C7 Z51 to a Grand Sport but I declined. While it would have been fun to have the better handling of the Grand Sport during spirited driving I spend the majority of my time touring. The Z51 with MSRC was a better fit for me.
                        If the C8 Z06 rides like my C7 Grand Sport, I’ll be a happy guy!

Comment

I think something like "always 1 step (or 2 steps) firmer" may be too simplistic. My guess (which is worth exactly what you paid for it) is that Tour and Sport, and Track on the entry model) will be ~ 1 step firmer than the Z51 on both Z06s, in terms of both springs and shock tuning. But on the Z07 track mode will have even stiffer shock tuning than the entry Z06. It's possible the Z07 will be stiffer than the "base" Z06 even in Tour and Sport, but I'd be surprised if it's a big difference. Most of the Z07 C7s I'm familiar with have never been tracked except for a few lead / follow laps.
                          Last edited by meyerweb; 10-17-2021, 04:53 PM.
                          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I didn't venture a "guess" on this poll but I have a slightly unrelated question. My "base" C8 rides smoother than my "base" C7 did. I've heard thats due to the central aluminum C8 frame member which allows the shock dampers to be set "friendlier". If thats the case, wouldn't a "base" C8 Z06 run smoother than a "base" C7 Z06?

Comment

Good point! Yes the C8 is an easier riding car than the C7. That is because the chassis frame is stiffer and by going with coil over shocks instead of transverse leaf springs, then getting Michelin to secondarily engineer better riding tires, all those things went together to create a softer ride.

You raise a good point that should similarly translate into the Z07’s ride being a little softer than the C7 Z07.. But what if since the Stingrqy is such a great GT car (yet still a kick butt sports car), GM is wanting to move the Z06 further down the path toward being more of a performing sports car and sacrificed the better inherent C8 softer ride to greater greater comparative performance capabilities.

Bottom line is that since everything on every car is a compromise and as we do not know the engineering parameters and performance plans GM has for the for the Z06, this whole thread like many of ours lately is a connective thread. We just are going to have to wait a little longer. And connective some more as we do so.

One more conjecture…. What if GM has three different C8 Z06 versions, and as part of that moved the entry one further toward being a GT car, the medium one like a C7 Z06 entry one was, and the C8 Z07 being even more of a kick *** track car?

As Harlan responded to me when I sent him our poll once removed, the one in which we chose what version Z06 were were leaning to. — and included on choice of “I need more information on spring rates, tires,. and so many other things,” Harlan said that those who voted for that specific choice were highly accurate…

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X