Z06 = ??? Wider Than The Stingray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z06 = ??? Wider Than The Stingray

How much wider is the Z06 than the Stingray?

Thanks to “imxz28” for this comparative picture. This is the best we have other than earlier estimates and a rough scaling from the rear, those ranging from 2-4” to wider. By zeroing in on the rear view mirrors and how they “hit” the rear fender gives the best perspective information to me.

Originally posted by imxz28
    Assuming they share the same windshield, the scale is quite equal. The angle is almost equal so here you have it.
    Give imxz28 further credit for while he did this, he knows it is not perfect and thus did not attempt to come up with an actual width increase number — leaving that to us.

Anyone want to come up with a width increase guess as a consequence of his picture?

Click image for larger version

Name:	E509930B-6A41-4932-A2F2-E0112079FC1C.jpeg
Views:	470
Size:	395.4 KB
ID:	319711
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

I also like to intently look at the different two very different front fender shapes in the above post.

Remember when GM got criticized for the C7 Z06’s fenders not being one integral piece but instead having their side flares? Again, thank you GM for listening to that feedback! For a refresher, here’s what the 2015 Z06’s fenders looked like (and mine below was first sanded smooth and then multiple coats of GM carbon flash metallic black paint, the PPF, then nano ceramic coated — quite an expense as it was professionally done as many did).

Click image for larger version  Name:	D2314B0E-C043-4D68-8E6B-7209D8304EA2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	412.5 KB ID:	319713
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Just my two cents, but it seems to me that BG would have to extensively retool the assembly line to come up with a wider chassis, etc. Or am I missing something John?

Comment

John my guess is 3” overall width increase.

Comment

Really good question KAOS. For sure at least some of the assembly line lift-assist machines have been widened. Did some actually have to be replaced or were longer component arms able to be substituted? As important, did some of the turning bends in the 7 mile long in the rafter parts-conveyor-system have to be smoothed out?

Which leads to one related question we have heard a birdie rumor about but as of yet is are strictly not confirmed, and that is one JCT driver said that the width of the Z06 caused real problems for them going on the trailers — implying that they were not just inconvenience matters. Did they have to get brand new transporter trailers? Or where they able to modify some of them? And if either is true, will this cause somewhat longer shipping times for JCT is a monstrous fleet (multiple hundreds), and JCT was in protective bankruptcy a while back and sure could not replace their entire fleet of trailers.

Again this trailer width issue is right now in the wild rumor category without any confirmation. But you bet it shall be raised on 10/26 or as soon afterwards as if possible. A major, related fact that many learned about three years ago, that whereas they could put 11 C7’s on a JCT transporter, due to the weight increase only 10 C8’s are now carried on each one. So could this adjustment due to the Z06’s greater width be a much more major factor? Or again is it a rumor without basis?

Picture thanks to CorvetteBlogger.

Click image for larger version  Name:	06D82B1F-9849-4366-A1D3-763EB93D29DC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	148.1 KB ID:	319722

Comment

Originally posted by 455SDguy View Post
            John my guess is 3” overall width increase.
            The C7 Z06 was 3.15” inches wider than the C7 Stingray. We know for sure that GM for many reasons will keep it as narrow as they can, yet had engineering/science issues determine its exact amount. I like 3” as a guess. I sure would not go over or under based on nothing any birdie has whispered.

Again, one more fact that GM has been able to keep to themselves. Every day as we think about this, we are all amazed as to we do not know any measurable facts about the car other than its tire size from pictures. Oh yes, it has four wheels.

Not one factual HP leak other than one person posted elsewhere that stated a GM Corvette Exec had told us an exact number and told us what he allegedly said. That post was since 100% debunked as “completely did not happen,” e.g., another rumor into the garbage. GM staff have done a masterful job of having us wilding guess on its HP in a + 100 range, even still debating elsewhere where it is NA or twin-turbo. And a masterful job of guessing at so much else too!

Comment

This quest for good information is a lot like trying to pick the winning lottery numbers. So many possibilities but only 1 exact match that Chevy holds close to their chest.

Comment

I'm looking at those mirror stalks and wondering if at least the passenger side mirror isn't wider than the Stingray one. Which would make the fenders even wider than we think. It's had to be sure, though, because the Stingray photo is taken from a slightly higher angle than the Z06 one. Either way, the Stingray is already a wide car. The Z is extremely wide. Don't try navigating any narrow alleys:

Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

This is purely anecdotal obviously, but when I load this car onto the trailer it's already pretty tight. I can't see GM going more than 2" per side and I would guess closer to 1.5 but I could be totally off.

RSC C8 Corvette Loading onto Trailer

Comment

I'm thinking they will not widen the mirrors or the stalks.

I hope its 3". Given that 325s fit on the back of the stingray, it really only needs about 1" per side to accommodate the 345s. The stingray is wide and I need the Z06 to fit in a parking space at work and have some room left over so that it doesn't get a ton of door dings.
                    2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

Thanks for that picture [email protected] Am I correct that is an 8’ wide trailer?

Comment

Not only wider (my guesstimate is 4" total, at least for the rear of the Z06), but what about length? The distance between the forward front wheel well to the tip of the bumper looks to be a few inches more than the Stingray.

Comment

Sure will be longer on the Z07 with it’s extra protruding splitter. Could the entry Z06’s splitter be somewhat distant between the entry Z and the SR?

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                            Really good question KAOS. For sure at least some of the assembly line lift-assist machines have been widened. Did some actually have to be replaced or were longer component arms able to be substituted? As important, did some of the turning bends in the 7 mile long in the rafter parts-conveyor-system have to be smoothed out?

Which leads to one related question we have heard a birdie rumor about but as of yet is are strictly not confirmed, and that is one JCT driver said that the width of the Z06 caused real problems for them going on the trailers — implying that they were not just inconvenience matters. Did they have to get brand new transporter trailers? Or where they able to modify some of them? And if either is true, will this cause somewhat longer shipping times for JCT is a monstrous fleet (multiple hundreds), and JCT was in protective bankruptcy a while back and sure could not replace their entire fleet of trailers.

Again this trailer width issue is right now in the wild rumor category without any confirmation. But you bet it shall be raised on 10/26 or as soon afterwards as if possible. A major, related fact that many learned about three years ago, that whereas they could put 11 C7’s on a JCT transporter, due to the weight increase only 10 C8’s are now carried on each one. So could this adjustment due to the Z06’s greater width be a much more major factor? Or again is it a rumor without basis?

Picture thanks to CorvetteBlogger.

Click image for larger version Name:	06D82B1F-9849-4366-A1D3-763EB93D29DC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	148.1 KB ID:	319722
                            trailering is going to be an issue for people trailering to the track. I have the largest Trailex open trailer and the C8 barely fits on it. If it is even 2 inches wider it’s going to be a real problem.

Comment

Sorry to her that.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X