Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: Corvette News/Headlines

With the reveal of the new mid-engine C8 Z06 next week, this CORVETTE TODAY News & Headlines episode is a “must listen-to” podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...OSfY9cINY1UxSw Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, teams up again with Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com to bring you the hottest headlines in the world of Corvette…including the latest on the C8 Z06 reveal on October 26th! Here are a few of the topics covered in this podcast:

1. The C8 Z06 will make public debut at the Petersen Automotive Museum on October 26
2. GM makes a change to 2022 Corvette ordered with Z51 and the high wing
3. C8 Corvette ranked 2nd on the list of the fastest selling cars in September 2021
4. C8 E-Rays are testing in Colorado and outside the Nurburgring in Germany
5. A 95 year old WWII veteran is moved to the head of the line to get his 2022 Corvette
6. Mazzanti to build a Corvette-powered Italian supercar with 761 horsepower
7. A truckload of C8’s goes up in flames
8. Watch a video of BGA building right-hand drive C8 Corvettes

You’ll know everything we know when you listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Listen here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
Watch CORVETTE TODAY on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXC...lOPPQ/featured
See more
See less

Winter Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nasty2ss View Post

Just ordered mine,How long did it take to receive it? Ya I hear you on that it seems like I just picked it up that was May. 1 and now its almost time for storage.Thanks again for the info
    Good deal! I got mine within a week or so. Phil seems like a good guy, he should advertise here…
    Last edited by Jxp1962; 10-13-2021, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasted60 View Post

Your first problem is that your Z51 tires need to be stored in a heated environment, over 40F. Being in N Wis the cold will damage the tire compound. So mice might be the least of your problems.
      Per the owners manual, the Z51 tires are fine down to 20F. If exposed to temperatures below 20F they need to be reheated and inspected per the instructions in the manual.
      Last edited by RKCRLR; 10-13-2021, 10:43 AM.
      2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

This article may be of interest:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...s-a5816950285/

How to Protect Your Car From Rodents

CR offers clever solutions to critters nibbling at your wires
        Among the suggestions:

• Ideally, park away from places that are known to draw rodents, such as near trash bins or natural food sources, such as vegetable gardens.
        • Park in a sealed garage, if possible, and keep the doors closed.
        • Make sure the garage doesn’t have stored food and prime nest materials like newspapers, cardboard, straw, rags, and patio furniture cushions.
        • Look for gaps around garage windows and doors for possible places that rodents can sneak in. Weather strips under side doors can help seal them. Likewise, inspect the vertical seals on retractable garage doors for damage.
        • Don’t store trash cans used for food waste in the garage.
        • Keep the car interior free from food wrappers; their scent can draw rodents.
        • Move the car regularly, discouraging varmints from taking up residence. And occasionally honk the horn before starting the car to scare away any napping critters.
        How to Get Rid of Furry Vandals

There are specially made spray products that promise to deter rodents that you could mist under the hood and around the vehicle, if garaged. Peppermint oil and cayenne pepper are reported to deter rodents. Note that spray products will need to be reapplied routinely, because they can wear away and rinse off.

There are ultrasonic devices that emit sounds to deter rodents, but at a frequency that humans can’t hear. However, their effectiveness is in doubt.

For storage, placing moth***** under the hood can help. (Don’t use them inside the car, or you’ll be stuck with that awful smell.)

There is a clever solution in a TSB from Honda: rodent-deterrent tape, essentially an electrical tape treated with super-spicy capsaicin, which Honda describes as “the stuff that puts the fire in a bowl of five-alarm chili.” The tape (part number 4019-2317) comes in a 20-meter roll, about 22 yards, and it is available through dealers and available online ($43).

We bought a roll of Honda’s rodent-deterrent tape to check it out. Beyond the cute rat graphics and gray color, it deceptively seems like regular electrical tape to us humans. There is no tear-inducing odor, but it does carry a label that warns against prolonged exposure to skin. Despite dares and double dares, we did not taste it and will trust that it is potent enough to deter even the most ravenous varmint.

Other suggestions for dealing with rodents under your hood include installing a metal mesh around wiring harnesses and rubber hoses and across any openings where rodents could crawl into your ventilation or intake systems.

Placing rodent traps around the garage can reduce the population, but just be careful of exposing domestic animals and children to poisons or dangerous snap traps.

If the rodents are winning the war despite following these tips, reach out to a local pest control service. They are trained in how to best combat stubborn rodent issues and can address your specific challenges.
        Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by RKCRLR View Post

Per the owners manual, the Z51 tires are fine down to 20F. If exposed to temperatures below 20F they need to be reheated and inspected per the instructions in the manual.
          Summer tires start getting hard at 40F and loose traction, if you drive on then below 40F the compound and side wall start braking down. . This is interesting because in May the warnings were more sever, but these warning are getting pulled. Each month more warnings disappear. Understand tire compounds as I do, I'd take them off you car at first frost and not put them back on till last frost. With a deteriorated compound, would you drive aggressively? Not me. You should do more digging.

Growing old is mandatory; growing Up is Optional

Comment

Summer tires start getting hard at 40F and loose traction, if you drive on then below 40F the compound and side wall start braking down. . This is interesting because in May the warnings were more sever, but these warning are getting pulled. Each month more warnings disappear. Understand tire compounds as I do, I'd take them off you car at first frost and not put them back on till last frost. With a deteriorated compound, would you drive aggressively? Not me. You should do more digging.
            Do you have any links to suggest that exposure to temperatures below 40F but above 20F cause permanent degradation of the compound used in the PS4S tires?
            2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

For the C7, GM only said don't move the car on the tires when temps are below 20F. They didn't say you need to remove the tires from the car, just that you shouldn't roll the car on them until they've had a chance to warm back up. And the C8's tires have, per Tadge, a less aggressive rubber compound, so the risk of cracking should be even less.

GM delivers Z51s to dealers in the frozen north in the middle of winter, where they get driven off the truck, parked on the lot, driven inside for PDI, driven back out to the lot, and delivered to owners. I haven't heard of a rash of tire failures, have you?
              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Do you have any links to suggest that exposure to temperatures below 40F but above 20F cause permanent degradation of the compound used in the PS4S tires?
                First the question was want to do in Northern Wisconsin for the winter. I spent two winters in Minnesota and saw -25f many times and remember one week where 9F was the high, so just 20F isn't the question.

I started my quest to understand what summer tires are when talking to a buyer at Kerbeck in May getting a C8-Z51 delivery. I asked him way he got the Z51. He said the spoiler and the tires, then asked my if I know want a summer tire was. He didn't know, nor did I, I was thinking tread pattern. So, not wanting to have "male answer syndrome" that night I started researching what summer tires are. Tire Rack has a great explanation talking about the compound and it being used above 40F. With a warning that the compound stiffens below 40F and will loose traction. If allowed to get to 28F they should be warmed back to 40F+ over a 48 hour period and not driven on nor the pressure changed in the period. Both compound and side wall damage would occur. There recommendation was to store the tires in a heated environment.

Tire Rack, since my first reading of it in May, has toned down there warning twice. It now reads"
                Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

Here is a chart I found that compare's Summer to All Season tires. They say 44F and above. Summer Tires PDF.pdf

More from Tire Rack

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures. This is especially true when the tires first begin to be driven or if the driver aggressively applies gas pedal pressure with today's turbocharged fours or high-torque sixes and eights. Fortunately, glass transition is a reversible condition that allows the tires' normal traction to return as the ambient temperatures climb.

If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks.

When faced with near- and below-freezing temperatures, drivers should leave their summer performance tire-equipped vehicle at home and drive a vehicle equipped with all-season or winter tires.

From Mobil

ire performance differences

Winter tires, all-season-tires and summer tires differ in the pliability and durability of their rubber at different temperatures. Tire engineers call it "glass transition temperature": Get them cold enough and every tire will have the grip of a Formica kitchen counter. For a race tire, it might be 40 Fahrenheit. For a winter tire it could be 60 degrees below zero. Summer tire tread starts becoming Formica-like somewhere just below freezing. Most all-season tires are still pliable below zero, but some "ultra-high-performance all-season" tires start losing grip well before that.

Back to ME, You can just search using Summer Tires in Winter. There is a difference in the compound and driving on them in the cold is dangerous, and will damage the tire. It may not show up the next day, but the next time you hit 100 or take that exit at an aggregative speed the tire may just come apart. If I had summer tires on my C8 I would pull them off (Centeral NJ) from Nov 1st to April 15th. But watch the over night temps. I can believe GM ships C8 with summer tires in the winter, I think they are heading to a "FORD-BFG" problem.

Comment

Move that Baby down here to Flori-da and KISS WINTER GOODBYE!! Our top down weather starts NOW through middle of May… 😎
                  2022 Arctic White Z5, HTC, AH2seats, Perform Traction, Carbon Flash Mirrors, Red Calipers, Comp Rocker Ext, Carbon Flash Spoiler, Carbon Flash Nacelles, Front Lift, Mag Ride, Std Wheels (going to Black Chrome) Front/Rear Splash Guards, Torch Red Seat Belts, Museum Plaque, Two Tone GT2 Seats Red-Black, Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Sueded Steering, Batt Charge, Museum Delivery 1100 for 647 Days, now 3000 waiting on TPW 👏

Comment

First the question was want to do in Northern Wisconsin for the winter. I spent two winters in Minnesota and saw -25f many times and remember one week where 9F was the high, so just 20F isn't the question.

I started my quest to understand what summer tires are when talking to a buyer at Kerbeck in May getting a C8-Z51 delivery. I asked him way he got the Z51. He said the spoiler and the tires, then asked my if I know want a summer tire was. He didn't know, nor did I, I was thinking tread pattern. So, not wanting to have "male answer syndrome" that night I started researching what summer tires are. Tire Rack has a great explanation talking about the compound and it being used above 40F. With a warning that the compound stiffens below 40F and will loose traction. If allowed to get to 28F they should be warmed back to 40F+ over a 48 hour period and not driven on nor the pressure changed in the period. Both compound and side wall damage would occur. There recommendation was to store the tires in a heated environment.

Tire Rack, since my first reading of it in May, has toned down there warning twice. It now reads"
                    Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

Here is a chart I found that compare's Summer to All Season tires. They say 44F and above. [ATTACH]n319778[/ATTACH]

More from Tire Rack

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures. This is especially true when the tires first begin to be driven or if the driver aggressively applies gas pedal pressure with today's turbocharged fours or high-torque sixes and eights. Fortunately, glass transition is a reversible condition that allows the tires' normal traction to return as the ambient temperatures climb.

If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks.

When faced with near- and below-freezing temperatures, drivers should leave their summer performance tire-equipped vehicle at home and drive a vehicle equipped with all-season or winter tires.

From Mobil

ire performance differences

Winter tires, all-season-tires and summer tires differ in the pliability and durability of their rubber at different temperatures. Tire engineers call it "glass transition temperature": Get them cold enough and every tire will have the grip of a Formica kitchen counter. For a race tire, it might be 40 Fahrenheit. For a winter tire it could be 60 degrees below zero. Summer tire tread starts becoming Formica-like somewhere just below freezing. Most all-season tires are still pliable below zero, but some "ultra-high-performance all-season" tires start losing grip well before that.

Back to ME, You can just search using Summer Tires in Winter. There is a difference in the compound and driving on them in the cold is dangerous, and will damage the tire. It may not show up the next day, but the next time you hit 100 or take that exit at an aggregative speed the tire may just come apart. If I had summer tires on my C8 I would pull them off (Centeral NJ) from Nov 1st to April 15th. But watch the over night temps. I can believe GM ships C8 with summer tires in the winter, I think they are heading to a "FORD-BFG" problem.
                    GM and Michelin's position is that there won't be permanent damage to the tires if not exposed to temperatures below 20F:
                    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...83781-9999.pdf
                    This is more specific to the tires used on the Corvette.

I'm familiar with glass transition temperature. The transition takes place over a temperature range, not a single point. It appears that Michelin has determined that the temperature doesn't get far enough into the glass transition zone to cause permanent damage until 20F, and then only if the tire is moved below this temperature.

With regards to driving on summer tires below 40F (but above 20F), the loss in traction is relative. They shouldn't be used on ice or snow. While they do have a significant reduction in grip on cold, ice-free surfaces compared to higher temperatures they can still have reasonable performance compared to other tires. Here is a comparison of winter tires to summer tires in cold, ice free conditions:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJsV2ORMsms

Comment

Originally posted by UCF.Fan48 View Post
                      Move that Baby down here to Flori-da and KISS WINTER GOODBYE!! Our top down weather starts NOW through middle of May… 😎
                      If I could pickup my home and Property and drop it Bonita Springs or Naples I would, because I would not be disappointed if I never see Snow again

We use to have a winter place in Pembroke Pines, but sold it 8 years ago. We still may come back, but not as long as our parents are still close to us.
                      1999 C5 Magnetic Red Coupe -Z51 - SOLD 7/31/21
                      2021 C8 Red Mist Z51 HTC, 2LT Mag Ride & Front Lift

Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels
                      GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Delivered – August 28th @ The National Corvette Museum

Comment

Originally posted by Plentyfast View Post

If I could pickup my home and Property and drop it Bonita Springs or Naples I would, because I would not be disappointed if I never see Snow again

We use to have a winter place in Pembroke Pines, but sold it 8 years ago. We still may come back, but not as long as our parents are still close to us.
                        Understand those challenges…. Fortunately we have all our Kids n Grands within miles of us in Central Florida and a great hangout in Ft Pierce to either go catch Mr. Big Fish or walk the beach and enjoy the surf… South Fla is too busy for me… But we do spend July in Keys… which we love as well. Just need some hills and twisty roads to properly exercise the C8!!
                        2022 Arctic White Z5, HTC, AH2seats, Perform Traction, Carbon Flash Mirrors, Red Calipers, Comp Rocker Ext, Carbon Flash Spoiler, Carbon Flash Nacelles, Front Lift, Mag Ride, Std Wheels (going to Black Chrome) Front/Rear Splash Guards, Torch Red Seat Belts, Museum Plaque, Two Tone GT2 Seats Red-Black, Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Sueded Steering, Batt Charge, Museum Delivery 1100 for 647 Days, now 3000 waiting on TPW 👏

Comment

Originally posted by UCF.Fan48 View Post

Understand those challenges…. Fortunately we have all our Kids n Grands within miles of us in Central Florida and a great hangout in Ft Pierce to either go catch Mr. Big Fish or walk the beach and enjoy the surf… South Fla is too busy for me… But we do spend July in Keys… which we love as well. Just need some hills and twisty roads to properly exercise the C8!!
                          We have friends in the Tampa area and I will be stretching the C8 for a few trips next year.
                          1999 C5 Magnetic Red Coupe -Z51 - SOLD 7/31/21
                          2021 C8 Red Mist Z51 HTC, 2LT Mag Ride & Front Lift

Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels
                          GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Delivered – August 28th @ The National Corvette Museum

Comment

GM and Michelin's position is that there won't be permanent damage to the tires if not exposed to temperatures below 20F:
                            https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...83781-9999.pdf
                            This is more specific to the tires used on the Corvette.

I'm familiar with glass transition temperature. The transition takes place over a temperature range, not a single point. It appears that Michelin has determined that the temperature doesn't get far enough into the glass transition zone to cause permanent damage until 20F, and then only if the tire is moved below this temperature.

With regards to driving on summer tires below 40F (but above 20F), the loss in traction is relative. They shouldn't be used on ice or snow. While they do have a significant reduction in grip on cold, ice-free surfaces compared to higher temperatures they can still have reasonable performance compared to other tires. Here is a comparison of winter tires to summer tires in cold, ice free conditions:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJsV2ORMsms
                            "GM and Michelin's position is that there won't be permanent damage to the tires if not exposed to temperatures below 20F" this with a guy in Northern Wisconsin, where temps may get below 20F for days, hell -10F to +10F for weeks. In Central NJ we will see 10F to 20F for days.

What is interesting to me, since I came across this in May what Michelin is saying is changing. Michelin even had a warrantee statement about side wall cracking do to cold that I can find anymore. The trouble is they remove the more severe warnings and place a less severe, That's happened three times, but each new one covers over the old one and only I I'd copied it I'd still have it. I doubt they have changed the compound of the tires. Do you remember the Ford-BFG low pressure settings, and the suites that followed?.

What might help is like an Oil weight chart, What to when the temps are 30F to 40F, 20F to 30F, 10F-20RF, below 10F.

Comment

For me this started by a guy taking delivery asking "What are Summer Tires", GM has said over 75% of the C8 have Z51 and I'll bet many of then don't know what Summer tires are nor there limitations.

For me if i got the Z51 package, I'd buy a set on all season tires mounted and put them on the car Nov 1st to May 1st (Central NJ). I drive my Vettes year round. Then only time not if the drive way has snow, or there is snow in the forecast. A good ride for me in Jan is to Berryville or Handcock NY and I've been there when's it's below 10F.

I just am trying to point out to the buyers that don't take the time to understand their product, that there is a risk with these tires. And that they need to make an informed decision.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X