Adnimation ATF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by electroVette View Post
    Tesla’s “Ludicrous” is a driving mode, not a battery. It's available on cars with 100 KWh batteries (battery weighs 1378 lbs). That’s without the coolant and associated heat exchangers, pumps, control electronics, etc.

The NSX has a 1.3 KWh battery and the one report I’ve seen on the E-Ray’s battery capacity puts it at 1.94 KWh.

Since they’re benchmarking the NSX a 2 KWh battery does make sense. It’s large enough to boost fuel efficiency and enable front wheel torque vectoring, but small enough to keep costs and weight low.

The Stradale has both front and rear motors so its EV driving character is more sporting than a FWD mode, and I suspect the extra electric range is really about accessing markets that strictly regulate gassers. In many European cities gassers will be banned so the Ferrari needs enough EV range to roll on through.

In contrast GM wants to maximize the fuel economy of the E-Ray with hybrid tech, explore the performance benefits of front electric motor(s), and demonstrate to Corvette enthusiasts that electric propulsion isn’t only about boring efficiency. 2 KWh is plenty and gives more of a buffer than the NSX does for capacity degradation so after 100k miles performance will be the same.
    You are correct that ludicrous is a diving mode. But it is also what the Tesla ultra high-performance Model S/X battery modules are known as. I should know. I have 16 of them in my C2. Ludicrous batteries have double the two cooling ports normal Model S batteries. Below is an image of the 4 coolant port ludicrous batteries.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1080 small.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	320426
    I have also seen reports of the 1.94 kWh Ultium battery modules. Other reports say there will be four 1.94 kWh of those modules in the E-Ray. That is how I got the 7.75 kWh capacity referenced above.

I agree that if there is only one 1.94 kWH module in the E-Ray, it will not be a PHEV. If there are four, it will be a PHEV. The jury is still out, obviously, if there will be one or four modules in the E-Ray. So what you are saying makes sense if there is only one 2 kWh module.

With GMs push for all things electric being more of a philosophical thing, than a CAFE thing, I'm just thinking that the reports of the 7.75 kWh capacity may be correct. I guess we'll all see next year.
    Bob Sliwa
    "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
    Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
    Ludicrous Speed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
    2022-2023? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

Comment

I love we have way smarter than me people on MECF. Thank you all for all you add so collectively we learn and learn.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherd777 View Post

You are correct that ludicrous is a diving mode. But it is also what the Tesla ultra high-performance Model S/X battery modules are known as. I should know. I have 16 of them in my C2. Ludicrous batteries have double the two cooling ports normal Model S batteries. Below is an image of the 4 coolant port ludicrous batteries.

I have also seen reports of the 1.94 kWh Ultium battery modules. Other reports say there will be four 1.94 kWh of those modules in the E-Ray. That is how I got the 7.75 kWh capacity referenced above.

I agree that if there is only one 1.94 kWH module in the E-Ray, it will not be a PHEV. If there are four, it will be a PHEV. The jury is still out, obviously, if there will be one or four modules in the E-Ray. So what you are saying makes sense if there is only one 2 kWh module.

With GMs push for all things electric being more of a philosophical thing, than a CAFE thing, I'm just thinking that the reports of the 7.75 kWh capacity may be correct. I guess we'll all see next year.
        Off topic -- do you have a build thread for this thing posted anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by smoove7410 View Post

Off topic -- do you have a build thread for this thing posted anywhere?
          No, but I do take a ship-load of pics every week.

I'll create a build thread here on MECF when it's done, sometime in 2022. I'm doing the build myself, and I'm kinda slow in my old age.
          Bob Sliwa
          "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
          Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherd777 View Post

****, I'm impressed. That is one cool Corvette you're creating.

I'm confused though, you said Tesla's Ludicrous battery is 6.375 kWh, do you mean the individual modules that make up the 100 KWh battery?

Four 1.94 KWh modules surely would indicate a PHEV. Do you think they would fit into the C8's center tunnel? Based on some measurements I found the internal volume is only about 2 cubic feet once routing for the coolant hoses is considered. I tried finding dimensions for the Bolt's battery modules but didn't get very far.

Comment

Originally posted by electroVette View Post

****, I'm impressed. That is one cool Corvette you're creating.

I'm confused though, you said Tesla's Ludicrous battery is 6.375 kWh, do you mean the individual modules that make up the 100 KWh battery?

Four 1.94 KWh modules surely would indicate a PHEV. Do you think they would fit into the C8's center tunnel? Based on some measurements I found the internal volume is only about 2 cubic feet once routing for the coolant hoses is considered. I tried finding dimensions for the Bolt's battery modules but didn't get very far.
              Thanks for the kind words on the C2.

Yes. Models S and X all have 16 modules inside the battery pack. So there are 16 of the 6.375 kWh modules in the C2 for a total of 102 kWh. I originally had Chevy Volt Gen 2 batteries installed, but at 37 kWh total for TWO complete sets, I figured it would be a real expensive golf cart. And the Volt batteries were a real nightmare to package in a little C2. I was able to package the 102 kWh of Tesla batteries much easier than the 37 kWh of Volt modules, believe it or not. With the 102 kWh Tesla bank, one could possibly get 300 miles of range. If one could keep their foot out of it. I'm sure I won't be able to keep my foot out of it on a regular basis, but I will try to hypermile it to see if I can get over 300 miles of range.

All of the Tesla Model S/X batteries are approximately 27" long, by 13" wide, by 3" high. So Tesla can get that 6.375 kWh in a relatively small package of 1053 cubic inches. Two cubic feet that you have calculated is 3456 cubic inches. So one of the Tesla ludicrous batteries at 6.375 kWh would fit in less than a third of your calculated two cubic feet. So yes, I absolutely think Chevy could package 7.75 kWh in the C8 center tunnel.

I have two of the ludicrous batteries in the forward half of my center, former transmission, tunnel. Only one module is installed in the center box in the image below. The device between the electric rack & pinon and the center box is a DC>DC converter and battery charger. It charges the high-voltage bank and reduces it to 12 volts for legacy electrics and electronics. The front battery box, which lies on top of those transverse crossmembers and two frame mounts by the firewall, holds 10 more modules and the rear box that is near the OEM gas tank holds 4 modules for that magic 16 module total. So from this image, one could imaging that C8 engineers could package 8 kWh in our center tunnel. Of course getting the proper 400 volts for the Ultium front-assist motor may be trickier, but that's a different discussion.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_1181 small.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	320719
              Last edited by Shepherd777; 10-17-2021, 01:37 PM.
              Bob Sliwa

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
              Working...
              X