Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: Corvette News/Headlines

With the reveal of the new mid-engine C8 Z06 next week, this CORVETTE TODAY News & Headlines episode is a “must listen-to” podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...OSfY9cINY1UxSw Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, teams up again with Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com to bring you the hottest headlines in the world of Corvette…including the latest on the C8 Z06 reveal on October 26th! Here are a few of the topics covered in this podcast:

1. The C8 Z06 will make public debut at the Petersen Automotive Museum on October 26
2. GM makes a change to 2022 Corvette ordered with Z51 and the high wing
3. C8 Corvette ranked 2nd on the list of the fastest selling cars in September 2021
4. C8 E-Rays are testing in Colorado and outside the Nurburgring in Germany
5. A 95 year old WWII veteran is moved to the head of the line to get his 2022 Corvette
6. Mazzanti to build a Corvette-powered Italian supercar with 761 horsepower
7. A truckload of C8’s goes up in flames
8. Watch a video of BGA building right-hand drive C8 Corvettes

You’ll know everything we know when you listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Listen here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
Watch CORVETTE TODAY on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXC...lOPPQ/featured
See more
See less
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ace View Post
    There is an even bigger news hidden in the pictures: This is the first time we actually see the European model of the E-Ray! Until now it wasn't sure that we get anything besides the Stingray. But you can clearly see that the spotted E-Ray has the clear reflectors in the headlights and on the side of the rearlights, while US models always have the orange & red reflectors.
    i was wondering if anyone else noted that….🙂.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvetteBlogger View Post
      Click image for larger version

Name:	101121_13.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	318886

Crossposted from CorvetteBlogger.com

Earlier today we shared some new spy photos of the C8 Corvette E-Ray prototype that was being tested at the Nurburgring. The car never officially made it onto the track, instead, it was only driven around the public streets surrounding the 12.9 mile German circuit.

Stefan Baldauf, the photographer who nabbed those great spy photos also gave us a heads up that video would be coming shortly and so we now have that to share as well.

Watch and listen carefully at around :47 seconds into the video. The C8 E-Ray pulls off onto a side road to wait for the other cars in the group and I swear the engine note is whisper quiet. Unfortunately, the brakes aren’t and we get a protracted example of the brake squealing as the car comes to a stop. But then at that moment, we hear the engine start-up. So was it running silently under battery power and electric motors? At this point, the jury is still out.

Awesome, this video also shows an EU Z06! Until now I would have suggested the Europe is only getting the E-Ray because of our strict emission standards. But here we clearly see the Z06 with Z07 package with EU headlights 😎

Name:	euz06_eray.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	318990

Comment

Another good catch. Thanks Ace. That is super exciting news for Europeans. Or candidly so it seems for changing out headlights is one possibility as is that all 2023’s Corvettes, worldwide, might be getting Euro headlights and/or sides of the rear lights from now on.

Lots of questions for sure yet to be 100% resolved
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

And GM Authority points out that no charge port door can be seen on these images. The charge port door would presumably be on the passengers side as a mirror image of the gas fill door on the drivers side. If true, which is anything but confirmed, this would indicate that the E-Ray will not be a PHEV. Let's hope this is not correct.

Name:	101121_125.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	319006
          Bob Sliwa
          "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
          Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
          Ludicrous Speed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
          2022-2023? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

Comment

Thanks for that info. That fits with what most of us believe that it will not be a plug in hybrid.

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
              Another good catch. Thanks Ace. That is super exciting news for Europeans. Or candidly so it seems for changing out headlights is one possibility as is that all 2023’s Corvettes, worldwide, might be getting Euro headlights and/or sides of the rear lights from now on.

Lots of questions for sure yet to be 100% resolved
              The Z06 and E-Ray prototypes a few weeks ago still had the sidemarkers. These are necessary for northamerica as far as I know, even german cars like Audis are getting orange reflectors added to the headlights for NA.
              Also take a close look at the video at 1:04, you can see in the rearlight that it has the european turn signal (just a orange on and off signal, instead of the sequential brake light as turn signal)

But we will have to wait for better confirmation. It still could be exclusive to other export markets like Dubaii, Japan, Australia, etc.

The E-Ray not being a PHEV would be a huge missed opportunity. It would make a big difference in terms of taxes here and the possibility to drive short ranges fully electric would be amazing.

Comment

Thanks for the video of the E-Ray. I'm looking forward to getting one.

Comment

It's starting to get exciting to see more of the E-Ray being captured in action. I wonder of the rumor of GM debuting the car 4 months after the Z06 is accurate. I'm hoping it'll be sooner as that will get the E-Ray list at MM going. Once you put the deposit down, the clock starts ticking all over again and the excitement starts to really ramp up.

Comment

Good question. I know my thought was that four months for its reveal after the Z06 would be its earliest time. But there are no set timetables nor other practices any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                      The E-Ray not being a PHEV would be a huge missed opportunity. It would make a big difference in terms of taxes here and the possibility to drive short ranges fully electric would be amazing.
                      Man, I so agree. It would be a supreme waste if it were not a PHEV so we can get some local EV-only miles running it.
                      Bob Sliwa
                      "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
                      Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!

Comment

I don't really see the point of a PHEV Corvette. Why lug around the extra batteries in order to have a FWD EV mode with 100 - 200hp? In city driving a hybrid E-Ray will still run mostly in electric mode anyways because of the regen. So a PHEV would require a lot of extra weight with very little payoff (and negative payoff with respect to performance).

Comment

Originally posted by netsinah View Post

I plan on getting the Z06 like many on this Forum however I've "hedged my bets" and I'm also on my dealer's E-Ray list (#1 in line). I wonder however about the long-term popularity of this hybrid design, with many people being fans of the 100% naturally aspirated "tried and true" engines...and with the upcoming C9's being all-electric. Will the E-Ray be stuck in the middle and glossed over, in years to come? Or will it be seen as a popular bridge between the C8 and C9 generations and possibly "the best of both worlds" with its 6.2L engine and electric motor combo? Perhaps (?) a good topic for a member's poll John?
                          I've just found this etags.com article which points to hybrid vehicles being more popular than fully electric vehicles, assuming their stats are properly quoted. Perhaps due to consumer fears about putting all their eggs in one basket and relying solely on electric? Regardless, I suspect this may change as more charge stations come on stream and manufacturers transition to electric only (assuming we first figure out a way to boost the grid's capacity). Food for thought.

​​​​​​https://www.etags.com/blog/hybrid-ca...-sales-up-142/

Comment

Originally posted by electroVette View Post
                            I don't really see the point of a PHEV Corvette. Why lug around the extra batteries in order to have a FWD EV mode with 100 - 200hp? In city driving a hybrid E-Ray will still run mostly in electric mode anyways because of the regen. So a PHEV would require a lot of extra weight with very little payoff (and negative payoff with respect to performance).
                            The Ferrari Stradale SF90 which I often refer to, has a 6.5 kWh battery module. The SF90 is a PHEV. I don't know what that Ferrari battery module weighs.

The Ferrari costs between $500,000-$700,000. So the Zora would be a direct competitor, not the E-Ray. But the Zora would be at least 1/2 million bucks less. Go USA.

The Tesla Ludicrous battery, at 6.375 kWh, is almost exactly the same capacity as the Ferrari 6.5 kWh module. It weighs only 55 lbs.

The GM Ultium modules in the E-Ray have been estimated to have a capacity of 7.75 kWh. So with the newer battery chemistry and a confirmed wireless BMS, will the battery bank in the E-Ray weigh less than 50 pounds? I bet a dollar it may.

If the Ferrari is a PHEV, why not would an E-Ray with a speculated larger battery bank be a PHEV, for electric-only operation?
                            Bob Sliwa

Comment

Tesla’s “Ludicrous” is a driving mode, not a battery. It's available on cars with 100 KWh batteries (battery weighs 1378 lbs). That’s without the coolant and associated heat exchangers, pumps, control electronics, etc.

The NSX has a 1.3 KWh battery and the one report I’ve seen on the E-Ray’s battery capacity puts it at 1.94 KWh.

Since they’re benchmarking the NSX a 2 KWh battery does make sense. It’s large enough to boost fuel efficiency and enable front wheel torque vectoring, but small enough to keep costs and weight low.

The Stradale has both front and rear motors so its EV driving character is more sporting than a FWD mode, and I suspect the extra electric range is really about accessing markets that strictly regulate gassers. In many European cities gassers will be banned so the Ferrari needs enough EV range to roll on through.

In contrast GM wants to maximize the fuel economy of the E-Ray with hybrid tech, explore the performance benefits of front electric motor(s), and demonstrate to Corvette enthusiasts that electric propulsion isn’t only about boring efficiency. 2 KWh is plenty and gives more of a buffer than the NSX does for capacity degradation so after 100k miles performance will be the same.

Comment

Thanks electroVette. Good info and analysis.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X