This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [email protected]

Thanks to CorvetteBlogger for this article.

VIDEO & MORE ADDED INTO POST # 15!

Click image for larger version  Name:	C268463A-E8B4-49CE-B38D-CBE414280554.jpeg Views:	682 Size:	87.9 KB ID:	318804

Originally posted by CorvedtteBlogger
    The C8 Corvette E-Ray Testing Outside the Nurburgring

By Keith Cornett -

Oct 11, 20211
    Photo Credit: Stefan Baldauf / SB-Medien

The last two weeks in August had Corvette enthusiasts very excited as the 2023 Corvette Z06s were testing nearly undisguised at Germany’s Nurburgring. From that visit, the minimal camo on the car combined with the sound and fury captured on video from the rumored 5.5L flat-plane crank V8 captivated us as each day brought a new sighting or spy pics as the cars drove flat-out on the 12.9 mile Nordschleife.
    But there was another C8 Corvette prototype also at GM’s Nurburgring test facility during that two-week stay that kept a much lower profile, but one that was still managed to be captured by the ‘ring photographers as it was driven only on the public roads surrounding the German track. We actually caught a glimpse of the E-Ray in one video and the inclusion of the C8 prototype with its corner-mounted exhaust driving had many of us thinking “E-RAY!”

Spy photographer Stefan Baldauf of SB-Medien managed to capture some revealing spy shots of this unicorn during Chevrolet’s stay back in August. Stephen tells us that the E-Ray Corvette was the only one in the group that was never tested on the Nurburgring. Instead, Chevy’s engineers were confined to driving the car once a day and only on the public roads surrounding the Nurburgring, sometimes with other Corvette models along for the ride.

One of the spy shots presented by Stefan is a comparison photo showing the C8 Z06/Z07 model and the E-Ray together and while they appear to be very similar as both are widebodies, the differences are there when you look closer. Some are more obvious than others like the smaller brakes on the E-Ray compared to the huge rotors of the carbon ceramics found on the Z06.
    Stefan will also be following up later with a video that shows 15 different clips of the E-Ray that will be published in the next few days so stay tuned for that!

Source:
    Photos by Stefan Baldauf / SB-Medien
    https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2021...e-nurburgring/

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Exciting! I'm first on the list for an E-ray with a forum dealer, that's also exciting!

How cool would it be to have a home near Nurburgring and see these different test mules all the time?
    2LT Coupe, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue, GT2 seats, Edge Red Calipers and engine cover, Mag Ride, Front Lift, High Wing spoiler, R8C, American Hydrocarbon 5VM kit, museum delivery.

2000 status 5/1, 3000 on 5/4, 3300 on 8/4, 3400 on 8/11, #18 off the line on 8/23, delivered 9/10.

Well worth the wait, the car is amazing!

Comment

Looks like the "Eray" has different exhaust tips from the stingray, larger and flat on top vs the rounded off squares that are on stingray

Comment

"the smaller brakes on the E-Ray compared to the huge rotors of the carbon ceramics found on the Z06"

True, the foundation brakes will be smaller on the E-Ray.

But the E-Ray will also have regenerative braking from the electric front-assist motor.

So could the E-Ray stop as short, or even shorter than, the Z06 considering it has two separate braking systems?
        Bob Sliwa
        "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
        Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
        Ludicrous Speed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
        2022-2023? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

Comment

I do like the wide body stance with the 7 spoke wheels. Nice combo!

Comment

Dat E-Ray gonna make a lot of people happy! The more aggressive Z front end and the 7 spoke tuning fork wheels are worth the price of admission.

Comment

Is that a "reverse E" behind the passenger side window of the E-Ray...or a "jagged bolt of electricity"?? LOL.

Comment

There is an even bigger news hidden in the pictures: This is the first time we actually see the European model of the E-Ray! Until now it wasn't sure that we get anything besides the Stingray. But you can clearly see that the spotted E-Ray has the clear reflectors in the headlights and on the side of the rearlights, while US models always have the orange & red reflectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Vettesweetnos View Post
                  Looks like the "Eray" has different exhaust tips from the stingray, larger and flat on top vs the rounded off squares that are on stingray
                  Good catch. I always believe smart OEM practice is when you get a new model out, make sure it has three very visible differences from 25’ away, the front, the sides and the rear. These tips will be part of their rear’s difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A3142D02-225D-4F54-96D2-A7F59B3B3A44.jpeg
Views:	823
Size:	834.2 KB
ID:	318844
                  GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Would be funny if GM testers were able to announce a “ring” time at the release of the E Ray but not the Z06.

the E Ray is going to be an awesome corvette model. I am sure it will be a great seller in the lineup.

Half temped myself. For those on the list for the E Ray..smart move!

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                      Would be funny if GM testers were able to announce a “ring” time at the release of the E Ray but not the Z06.

the E Ray is going to be an awesome corvette model. I am sure it will be a great seller in the lineup.

Half temped myself. For those on the list for the E Ray..smart move!
                      I plan on getting the Z06 like many on this Forum however I've "hedged my bets" and I'm also on my dealer's E-Ray list (#1 in line). I wonder however about the long-term popularity of this hybrid design, with many people being fans of the 100% naturally aspirated "tried and true" engines...and with the upcoming C9's being all-electric. Will the E-Ray be stuck in the middle and glossed over, in years to come? Or will it be seen as a popular bridge between the C8 and C9 generations and possibly "the best of both worlds" with its 6.2L engine and electric motor combo? Perhaps (?) a good topic for a member's poll John?

Comment

Thanks. I will create such a poll but not for a few more months (many expect the E-Ray reveal at the soonest the end of next winter — and of course could be after that)..

Comment

Now I'm glad I'm in the 60's on the E-Ray contact list at a big dealer. By my guesstimate from the Grand Sport production numbers, it could be in their first quarter of the production year. To tag on @John's idea -- what if the reveal is actually in the winter, like how this SF90 Spider promotional video was done... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioqgCQBUDaY
                          Follow me @smurf.vette on Instagram -- https://www.instagram.com/smurf.vette

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	101121_13.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	318886

Crossposted from CorvetteBlogger.com

Earlier today we shared some new spy photos of the C8 Corvette E-Ray prototype that was being tested at the Nurburgring. The car never officially made it onto the track, instead, it was only driven around the public streets surrounding the 12.9 mile German circuit.

Stefan Baldauf, the photographer who nabbed those great spy photos also gave us a heads up that video would be coming shortly and so we now have that to share as well.

Watch and listen carefully at around :47 seconds into the video. The C8 E-Ray pulls off onto a side road to wait for the other cars in the group and I swear the engine note is whisper quiet. Unfortunately, the brakes aren’t and we get a protracted example of the brake squealing as the car comes to a stop. But then at that moment, we hear the engine start-up. So was it running silently under battery power and electric motors? At this point, the jury is still out.

Senior Editor and Founder of CorvetteBlogger.com. I drive my dad's 1966 Corvette Sting Ray Convertible and the National Corvette Museum is my personal Graceland.

Comment

Originally posted by Davii1775 View Post
                              How cool would it be to have a home near Nurburgring and see these different test mules all the time?
                              We used to live about 50 miles (80 km) from there. Back then we were pretty ignorant of Motorsports and sports cars in general. We wish we had attended some Formula 1 races while we were there….Spa, Nurburgring, Hockenheim. We drove past Hockenheim and through (on) the track at Spa all the time. We are still planning to try to attend some European races.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X