This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tempering Z06 HP Expectations

The Z06 is NA. And of course an NA motor would have less power than a twin turbo of the same size. I do not know anything from birdie-land; all of this thread is my opinion.

First the craziness elsewhere where I have read posts the C8 Z06 will develop more HP than the ZR1. Also many, many posts other places saying it must be over 650 HP for the C7 Z06 was 650 HP.

Sorry but that is not going to happen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3404B96E-C7E7-4A95-9575-B9B46D8F79E2.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	347.9 KB ID:	317771

WHY?

1) The C8.R’s 5.5L NA motor has been the test bet for the Z06’s FPC.

2) GM has always had a ZR1 have more power than the Z06 (when they have been both versions in a generation), so GM will leave the twin-stage, twin-turbo motor to the ZR1. I would expect 800+ HP for that C8 version.

3) The following document, thanks to Don [email protected], is not some mystical, fanciful, created one but one which actually started on a GM Exec’s desk (not from the Corvette team but another, higher part of GM).

4. It sounds naturally aspirated.

If I am right that the Z06’s motor is naturally aspired, I am expecting it to develop between 595 and 630 HP. Less than 20 days until the truth be known.

BTW a birdie responded to me last night regarding our to our poll on “which Z06 version are you getting” (poll at the link) but summarized here for its first 100 votes as: 13% “entry level:” 27% moderate aero but no Cup 2’s; ” 22% Z07; and 28% (need more info), the birdie clearly saying “stay tuned for in 20 days, and those who voted for “‘need more info” are on right track, e.g. surprises?

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.com/forum/me-discussion-photos-videos/312036-poll-z06-version-you’re-getting
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

When I watch a video of the C8R racing though the lower gears with the 5.5L limited to only 500 HP one can only imagine what the street version Z06 at 600+HP could be. October 26 can't get here soon enough. I do agree with you John that based on all of the intelligence gathered and on the sounds we have heard from the spy videos of the Z06 that it is NA.

Comment

I may be the outlier but I would be very happy with any HP number starting with a 6__.

600+ HP and being able to translate that power into forward momentum (345 tires and 660+ pounds centered on the rear axle), will be a great treat.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

It will be difficult to make much more than about 630 horsepower with a N/A Flat Plane crank motor. I'm OK with that. This base car, at 495 horsepower, plays like 600 right up to about 100 mph. The C8 Z06 will be a tremendous performer and it will Wail.

Comment

While the HP number is good for bragging rights, and I'd like to brag that it has 620 or more, the key will be the gearing. The C6 Z06 used the same gears as the C6 stingray. GM gave the C7 Z06 different gear ratios than the C7 stingray, but I believe those carried over from the C6 ZR1. If GM gives the C8 Z06 its own ratios designed for its 8500 redline, it will make the most of its power. Finally, if it gets the 3 lobe cam system similar to that GM uses for its truck 4 cyl, the torque curve could be surprisingly good - close, or equal to the torque made by the stingray from 4000 - 6000 rpm and a 6000 rpm+ that just pulls like crazy.

The power can be made by a 5.5l motor, it's only a question of whether GM can make, and warranty it, at a price expected by Z06 buyers.

Whatever the number, it will be fast enough for me. The more it goes above 620 HP, the more glory and cachet. Below 630 HP will probably cause some buyers to drop off and I'd guess that a bigger cliff occurs at 610 HP. With high current stingray demand and the e-ray lurking in the background, GM may not worry if it loses some Z06 customers if the car has 605 HP.
          2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

Good points, and worst case if the number that drop off the purchasing lists is what they currently say elsewhere (roughly 5%) , that would just reduce the waiting list from 30 months to 28 1/2 months.

Comment

The new motor will have good low-end torque for a NA motor. But not as good as a blown motor or a 7.0l NA 2-valve motor. The new Z06 4-valve heads make better low-end torque than their 2 valve brethren because at low RPM, 4-valve heads allow better cylinder fill. This benefit is reduced at elevated RPM due to high intake port velocity and airflow momentum that allows long intake valve timing to overfill the cylinders to better than 100% VE. This volumetric efficiency has more to do with port shape than just valve area.

VVT allows long cam timing at high RPM: Imagine the intake valve staying open well past the piston at BDC. Even while the piston is on the way back up, the intake charge has so much momentum that the cylinder keeps filling. No compromise on new motors as they can either increase timing and lift at high speed but dial back the timing at low speeds so the intake charge isn't forced back through the intake manifold.

So, GM will compensate for the less torque of a blown or larger engine with low 1st gearing and lighting fast shifting and fantastic traction from weight distribution and tires to get sub 3S 0-60 times. Peak acceleration occurs in a car at peak torque - not peak HP, so the 4-valve motor will have a VERY long table top flat torque curve that just won't stop. If this motor can still make 420lb-ft of torque at 7,900 RPM then it will produce around 630HP+/- 20HP, depending on when the torque curve falls off. IMHO.

Comment

Thanks for that information. What are you personal thoughts on HP and TQ (or are there two many unknowns)?

Comment

Peak of 445lb-ft at 4,600 RPM and 630HP at 7,900 RPM. Subtract 15% for RWHP and we should see dynos showing 380lb-ft of torque and 535HP to the rear wheels! This would leave GM with a lot of head room for the C9 to make more power with the same motor. 'Just' spin it another 500rpm and extract an additional 40HP. : )

Comment

I’m with Ragtop99…. the total HP number, so long as it exceeds the base, really doesn’t matter to me. I won’t be tracking my car (or at least nothing more than a few spirited driving days if the opportunity comes along) and reality is that we can’t even use the base 495HP to its full extent on the road.

I’m in on the Z06 for the handling and the FPC noise

So all you folks looking to drop if it ain’t some ungodly number… I’ll say THANKS now and happily move up Mike F’s list.

Comment

As I've said and posted before, on October 26th, I most look forward to seeing the torque curve of the motor! As Ragtop somewhat insinuated, torque means more to the majority of us than does horsepower, regardless of how you intend to use the car! Secondly, as I stood clinging to the chain link fence immediately behind the C8.R pit at the Rolex 24 at Daytona in 2020, after I heard the C8.R accelerate away from the pit, I immediately called Mike and told him to put me on his Z06 "deal list"! No forced induction engine will ever sound like one that is naturally aspirated. Ask any current Ferrari owner of their impression of the 458 and 488's exhaust comparison! 18 days and a wake-up!
                      GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; RCC ER Intake Cover; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Proud LTM NCM.

Comment

I am #6 on my dealers list. Looking forward to the car regardless of the horsepower. Already prepping the wife to make the 2020 her play car.

Comment

Ok... I guess I'll be the contrarian here, LOL.

I've been at the top of my dealer's Z06 list since early 2020, so I am fairly committed to 'waiting to see' what the C8Z will bring. That said, if the HP is going to lower than that of C7Z, the performance MUST, in my opinion, SIGNIFICANTLY surpass it. Sure, GM will sell every C8Z they make even at 'meager' 595 HP but if the performance isn't a worthy progression, what was the point? Frankly, I just don't see where this increased performance is going to come from if the HP isn't relatively close to the previous generation but I'm always happy for a surprise.

Personally, anything less than 620ish and I'll likely wait for the ZR1....
                          2020 C8 | Torch Red | 3LT | Z51 Performance Package | 5W8 Ground Effects Package | Cicio Performance Lowering Kit | Vossen HF-5 Wheels | Front Lift | Bright Red Calipers | Carbon flash Mirrors | GT2 Seats | Black Leather | Engine Appearance Pkg | Red Seat Belts

Comment

Anyone who thinks that the President of GM will get on stage in a couple of weeks and introduce to the world the Z06 as a step back in the performance progression of the C8 had better change their medication.

Comment

I am in regardless. My hope is a real effort at lighter weight if N/A. High HP cars are fun, but in my exiperience lighter cars are where I have found more enjoyment.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X