New C8 Corvettes Catch Fire on a Jack Cooper Transporter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New C8 Corvettes Catch Fire on a Jack Cooper Transporter

Click image for larger version  Name:	100621_5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	317541

Crossposted from CorvetteBlogger.com

We knew that the new C8 Corvettes were hot, but we didn’t think that the high demand would cause them to literally catch on fire!

A video posted to the C8 Corvette Owners (and Friends) Facebook Page show firefighters attempting to put out a fire that occurred on a Jack Cooper auto transport carrying a load of brand new Corvettes to dealers. The fire was said to have occurred in the early morning hours about 15-30 minutes north of Nashville, Tennessee. As the Bowling Green Assembly Plant is just an hour north of Nashville, it looks like the transport didn’t make it far before the flames started.

The originator of the video is named Corieblue Fickes and he says he stuck around until molten cars started flying around. We do see some mini explosions in the video that sent debris flying through the air.

As each Jack Cooper transport can carry up to 10 new Corvettes at a time, we have to believe this loss for General Motors is estimated to be around $900,000 if all 10 Corvettes were lost in the fire.

But the good news according to one poster on the Corvette Facebook page is that they will now be offered at just $5K over MSRP! Just kidding of course, but we do know there are going to be some sad people out there today whose wait for a new C8 just got longer.

Check out the video here, and fyi, there is a bit of salty language as the OP watches the Corvettes burn. Hit the full-screen link on the video to enlarge it:

UPDATE
    Our friend Adam Ellison sent us three photos showing the aftermath of the fire and it looks like that just the first trailer section of new C8 Corvettes were lost. So maybe some good news here after all!

Click image for larger version  Name:	100621_7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	381.6 KB ID:	317538

Click image for larger version  Name:	100621_8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	356.0 KB ID:	317539

Click image for larger version  Name:	100621_6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.5 KB ID:	317540
    Last edited by CorvetteBlogger; 10-06-2021, 01:09 PM.
    Senior Editor and Founder of CorvetteBlogger.com. I drive my dad's 1966 Corvette Sting Ray Convertible and the National Corvette Museum is my personal Graceland.

Wow! I really feel for those that lost their cars before they even received them!
    Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Wow that's really something. Hope the future owners can get some kind of special attention for the production of their replacement car. Looks like the entire load is destroyed. Sad, and heart breaking for the intended customers!

Comment

That is so sad, Ditto what CorvetteBlogger and Meldeoon noted. Imagine you hade waited 12 months for your order to be picked up and be made, and it was heading your way, going to be at your dealership for you to pick up in three days and now this.

So, so sorry for those future would-be owners.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Wow! That`s such a bummer! Feel really bad for those who were waiting for their vette. I`m actually a little nervous because mine was built last week 9/27/2021 and I`m waiting for mine to be delivered to West Michigan! Looks like the carrier was headed south not north.

Comment

Just awful! GM should put these owners at the top of the list with the highest priority!

Comment

It's been 13 months since I sent in a deposit and my car is scheduled to be built in 2 weeks. It's been a long haul, but I'd be thrilled to see GM sequence the build for those destroyed cars ahead of mine. Talk about a gut punch!
              2014 C7 3LT Coupe Laguna Blue Z51, SOLD but not forgotten

2022 C8 HTC 3LT Z51 Red Mist Metallic, Natural Dipped Interior, Carbon Flash Nacelles, Carbon Flash Dual Racing Stripes, Carbon Flash Outside Mirrors and Rear Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Magnetic Ride Control, Front Lift, Edge Red Calipers

Comment

So sorry for the owners of these Vettes. Hope GM makes good real fast.

Comment

I wonder how/where it started.

Comment

Looking at the extent of damage it looks like it actually may have started in the truck itself , I hope the driver is all good

Comment

It appears to me the fire started near or in the engine compartment of the truck based on the photos and video. One indicator is where the fire started is where is the most damage is and that appears to be the engine compartment. Very sad to see this one.

Comment

I would think GM would juggle production to get replacements built ASAP. I know there have been questions about whether radiator grills would cause the car to overheat, but this is ridiculous......

Hopefully GM isn't re-purposing Bolt Lithium batteries in the 2022 C8!
                        Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

This is an awful situation. My heart goes out to those owners. How would GM handle something like this with those consumers?
                          Arctic White 2LT, G8G, HUL, F9, AH2, 5ZZ, E60, STI, SHW J6F, Q8Q, RCC, Z51, ZYC.

Comment

Surprising how combustible those cars are. Nothing left of the bodywork.

Comment

Looks like Hollywood won't be calling these yahoos for any Freelance Videographers work 😋

Sorry, the first thing I notice was what I couldn't see in the Video.

Sad, but I'd like to think GM will make it all good for it's Customers
                              1999 C5 Magnetic Red Coupe -Z51 - SOLD 7/31/21
                              2021 C8 Red Mist Z51 HTC, 2LT Mag Ride & Front Lift

Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels
                              GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Delivered – August 28th @ The National Corvette Museum

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X