Z06 Entry vs Z07 Brake Sizing Calculations Thanks To imxz28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z06 Entry vs Z07 Brake Sizing Calculations Thanks To imxz28

Thanks to imxz28 for his work on the other forum in giving us initial calculations on comparative brake sizing for the entry versus the Z06/Z07 versions. He acknowledges that his initial work mid-yesterday needed one big adjustment thanks to major constructive input by Racer X. As we all know, while all such information taken from pictures is always subject to further adjustment due to scaling of pictures, this is really good 2nd round data, giving us the first closing-in information on comparative brake sizing. What is below incorporates Racer X’s positive re-directive comment and imxz28 addresses the scaling potential issue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ECEA3AA4-0430-4B75-AFFA-A4885A1F7297.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	264.7 KB ID:	312656

For sure we will learn more over time (from the reveal press release lol), and we applaud imxz28 for his giving us really good prelim info to chew on. Just 36 days until the exact facts will be known but this is way more than we knew just twelve hours ago. THANK YOU!

Originally posted by imxz28
    Z06 vs Z07 brakes - A closer look 13.3 inch vs 14.25 inch
    NOTE: Below has been revised. I originally had a brain fart and calculated with 21 inch front wheels. It's all fixed now with 20 inch front wheels!

Perhaps this is already known... However, a scientific approach gets us a close look at the difference. NOTE: Scale 1 mm = 1 inch
    Given these wheels are said to be 20 inch wheels and assuming the test mules are representative of the production Z06 and Z07 brakes. Then Z06 will have 13.3 inch rotors while the Z07 will have 14.25 inch rotors. The base C8's front rotors measure 12.6 inch while the Z51 rotors measure 13.3 inch.

Pics of a laptop screen is not ideal but trust that the scale of each pic was not changed between measuring the wheel then the rotor (it's the same exact screen for the two measurements).

Z06 Wheel 20 inch

Z06 Rotor 13.3 inch

Z07 Wheel 20 inch

Z07 rotor 14.25 inch

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

If I am remembering the comparative brake size numbers from the perspective of six years later, the C7 Z07’s ceramic brake rotors were 15.3” diameter, where the entry C7 Z06’s were 14.” To start addressing the question of how come the front brakes are smaller for the C8 Z06 than the C7 Z06’s (version for version), front rotors are smaller on ME vehicles and perhaps also we have six years of enhanced braking developments with better C8 braking systems and components.

Personally confident that flogging the Corvette test team gave them on the 12.8 mile, 154 corner Nurburgring, with its literally tens and tens of 100+ MPH corners, the C8 Z06 in both versions will have more than adequate brakes. However, we know that IF the team found there from that testing that there needs more brakes, that is one thing they went over there to specifically test and why they did that roughly one year before the first production customer versions will be delivered.

Even on reveal day, the official GM press release will have its “always caveat” that these are preliminary numbers subject to change.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Even if some scaling adjustments due to the camera not be square to the wheel surface this is good order of magnitude info for us information starved people.

Comment

Update: Rear brake sizing per imgz28.

Originally posted by imgz28
        Okay, so using my semi scientific methods, Here are the rear rotor size. I did not make pretty digital drafting pics... Just cutting to the chase here. They appear to be about the same size.

Front rotors----------------------------------------------Rear rotors
        Z06 14.3~14.5 inch---------------------------------------Z06 14.75~15.0 inch
        Z07 Ceramic 15.3~15.5 inch-----------------------------Z07 Ceramic 14.75~15.0 inch

Comment

I for one was expecting the base model C8 Z06 to have larger brake rotors than the C8 Stingray Z51 package, so I'm surprised at this possibility. I thought this due to the increased HP and "track handling capabilities" of the Z06, compared to the Stingray Z51. But as indicated by John, I'll put my trust in the GM engineering team and their miles of testing. Still...

If this is true, I hope there's an option to get the larger rotors on the base Z06 which is separate than purchasing the Z07 variant and there's my request in advance to GM. Tadge?

Anyone else feel the same?

Comment

As “measured by imgz27,” the rear rotors on the entry Z06 are more than 1” larger than the Z51 Stingray rear ones. The C7 Z06 set literally the standard/record for 60-to-0 for a production vehicle at that time. I have zero worries that whatever size brakes they provide on the entry model Z06, it too will be brake-neck-snapping quick.

GM would not risk its Nurburgring entry version drivers with substandard brakes, for we all saw in many videos those drivers screaming around that track with so many more 100+ MPH corners than every other track in the world (perhaps X 5)

As to your wish, it was not until year two that one could get a non Z07 with ceramic brakes. But this is a whole new world, who really thought GM would ever give us a ME until the following October, 2017 pictures, and so perhaps GM will give us the very option you are wanting for the entry Z.

Click image for larger version  Name:	70457651-EABD-4B1E-9D59-FD9F1DC10407.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	121.3 KB ID:	312773 Click image for larger version  Name:	39E7D48E-787A-47AC-8B40-147E77ECB39B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	155.7 KB ID:	312774 Click image for larger version  Name:	4625CD9B-AAF7-4FB1-828A-B5E58F41BB69.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	359.1 KB ID:	312775

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

I struggle to believe that the base Z06 rears will be bigger than its fronts.

Comment

The Z71 rears brakes are bigger than its fronts. With 60% of the weigh in the rear, the car needs to be whoa’d there more forcefully so it doesn’t swap ends if breaking hard while turning.

Comment

15.3 - 15.5 For Front Z07 Ceramic looks about right to me

Comment

Here’s 2020 C8 comparative brake sizing thanks to MotorTrend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A1582E24-2459-45B1-99B4-B862E0B45130.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	365.9 KB
ID:	312814

Comment

The Z71 rears brakes are bigger than its fronts. With 60% of the weigh in the rear, the car needs to be whoa’d there more forcefully so it doesn’t swap ends if breaking hard while turning.
                      John… I understand the base (somewhat), but here’s is where I am coming from.

Front brakes typically are bigger simply due to the physics implied in putting down stopping power. When you’re moving forward and you hit the brakes, the center of gravity of the vehicle effectively shifts forward, putting more weight and more momentum on the front tires. The front tires therefore gain more traction, and they can take more braking force to stop the car. Because the front brakes generate up to 75 percent of the vehicle’s stopping force.

Every sports car I can think of has bigger fronts than rears… irrespective of FE/ME. Just a few examples

Aventador. 15.7/15.0
                      Huracan. 15/14
                      Vantage. 15.7/14.2
                      Cayman. 16.1/15.4
                      Z4. 13.7/13.6

Even F1 cars have bigger Fronts than Rears

I simply have a hard time accepting that a new, 700ish HP, ME Z06 will have smaller front rotors than rears.
                      Last edited by Missileer; 09-20-2021, 07:59 PM.

Comment

That is good data. Darn good data. Then I wonder how come as per post # 10 above the C8 Stingray has larger rears than front for both the entry and Z51 versions, and no one reviewer commented about wrong brake bias with it?

Is it possible GM has some sort of special F/R brake proportioning system for the Stingray? That we would also see for the Z?

Comment

Back to the OP’s assessments, he is now further refining his methodology and thinking he has undersized all his measurements. Scaling is such an in exact science. We need 10.26.19 hard data for sure.

Comment

Interesting data from Missileer.
                            The 911S went to the same diameter front and rear. However, the front rotors are thicker than the rears (34mm v 28mm).

The Z51 rotors are also a little thicker in the front (1.18" versus 1.06"). Perhaps they get enough cooling from the ducts to allow for a little smaller rotor? Is another possible factor the front versus split in tire size? 275 versus 345 for C8 Z06 is a bigger difference than the C7 Z06 (285 vs 335).
                            2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

Back to the OP’s assessments, he is now further refining his methodology and thinking he has undersized all his measurements. Scaling is such an in exact science. We need 10.26.19 hard data for sure.
                              I am wondering if you could use an edge-edge measure between any two non-adjacent lug nuts to establish a base measure with which to determine total rotor width? If we assume that the base and Z06 have common lug pattern/spacing, the calculated measure could be validated by a current base owner to improve accuracy.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X