Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

PRIVATE MESSAGE HINT/HELP

Some are having trouble seeing a PM another member has sent them, saying it is just the title and then a big white blank page. Just click on the title and the message will open up for you. Thanks.
See more
See less

Transmission Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Life

What procedure puts the least wear on the transmission clutches when stopped?

1. Trans in neutral

2. Both paddles pulled back

3. Foot on brake, trans in drive

All the same?

1 or 2 should be the same for the clutches, and better for the clutches than 3. But I doubt clutch wear is going to be a significant issue, especially as few miles as most Corvettes get driven, and as little time as they're going to spend sitting in traffic.
    Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

what ever you do, when on an incline, don't have it in drive, with the foot OFF the break, and let the transmission hold it in place.
      Delivered 6/30/21: The Red Demon 2021 3LT Red Mist HTC.
      Jet Black Interior w/Red Stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors. Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
      AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Engine Vents, Mirror Caps, Front Grill Inserts, and Door Boomerangs.

Comment

Originally posted by BuyPeaksSellDips View Post
        what ever you do, when on an incline, don't have it in drive, with the foot OFF the break, and let the transmission hold it in place.
        On an incline the hill hold feature will automatically engage and keep the vehicle from rolling backwards. So it is OK to leave it in drive and have your foot off the brake. Just don't try to hold it from rolling back by giving it gas.
        2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
          1 or 2 should be the same for the clutches, and better for the clutches than 3. But I doubt clutch wear is going to be a significant issue, especially as few miles as most Corvettes get driven, and as little time as they're going to spend sitting in traffic.
          Does this apply whether you are in Manual mode or Drive mode? What is the state of the clutches in Drive mode if you are at a stoplight, not moving, with foot on brake? Does it differ if you are in Manual mode for the same situation?

Comment

Originally posted by My1stVette View Post

Does this apply whether you are in Manual mode or Drive mode? What is the state of the clutches in Drive mode if you are at a stoplight, not moving, with foot on brake? Does it differ if you are in Manual mode for the same situation?
            From testing here is what I've discovered:

If stopped with the brake on and in gear the clutches are very slightly engaged to simulate the creeping of an automatic transmission. Sort of like very slightly slipping the clutch in a manual transmission. If you let your foot off the brake you will creep forward.

If you pull back both paddles the clutch completely disengages. Analogous to holding the clutch pedal to the floor in a manual transmission.

Putting the DCT in Neutral is analogous to putting a manual transmission in neutral.

The above is the same whether in auto or manual mode.

I'm not concerned about the creep function creating excessive wear on the clutches. A wet clutch is different from a dry clutch. There may not even be any contact between the clutch plates when the creep function is engaged. It may be similar to a fluid coupling where torque is transmitted through fluid shear. You probably put more wear on the clutches in one day of normal driving than you do during the entire lifetime the creep function is engaged.
            2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

Thank you RKCRLR for all that good info.
              GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Would like to hear the answer from a Corvette engineer. I use the paddle method. My guess is neutral or paddles equivalent.

Comment

From my understanding, all three are the same. When you are at a stop and the brake pedal is pushed, the clutch is disengaged. When you release the brake the clutch will engage to creep or take off as needed.
                    This is why you don't get the rear tires breaking loose when you go full throttle with the brakes mashed to the floor like a slush box auto.
                    It would be nice to get confirmation from someone in the know.

Comment

Originally posted by My1stVette View Post

What My1stVette said.
                      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Lacquer View Post
                        From my understanding, all three are the same. When you are at a stop and the brake pedal is pushed, the clutch is disengaged. When you release the brake the clutch will engage to creep or take off as needed.
                        This is why you don't get the rear tires breaking loose when you go full throttle with the brakes mashed to the floor like a slush box auto.
                        They are not the same. Try these tests if you want to confirm for yourself:

With your foot on the brake, car in gear, and engine idling pull both paddles back and the RPMs will increase slightly. The RPMs will decrease when the paddles are let out. Now, on a level surface with the paddles pulled back, let off the brake. The car will remain stationary. Release the paddles and the car will creep forward. If you pull the paddles back in the car will coast to a stop.

If you try the same thing with the car in Neutral the RPMs don't change and the car doesn't move. And there is an audible difference in the mechanism between pulling the paddles back and putting the car in Neutral.
                        Last edited by RKCRLR; 09-15-2021, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lacquer View Post
                          The Corvette team, starting with Tadge, has said outright that when stopped in gear the transmission is programmed to let the clutches engage slightly, and slip, to allow the car to creep, like the traditional slushbox automatic that most drivers are used to.

From the horses mouth:

The bulk of the initial questions rightfully revolve around the C8’s brand new dual-clutch transmission. Which, according to Juechter, behaves much like a traditional automatic.
                          “The clutches are slipping ever so slightly at idle in gear while stopped. There’s no effective wear on the clutch packs due to the low torque applied. It will function similar to the conventional automatic in traffic. The clutch packs should last the life of transmission.”

Given the issues that some manufacturers (read: Ford) have had with dual-clutches recently, that’s obviously great news. Next, our OP asks Juechter how acceleration will vary between the base C8 Corvette and the Z51-equipped cars.
                          This is from another forum, so I can't post a link, but I found it by searching google for the following words:

tadge juechter automatic dct slip
                          Last edited by meyerweb; 09-15-2021, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Thank you, that is what I remembered.

Comment

When you come to a stop and have your foot on the brake the clutches are electronically disengaged.

There is no point to pulling in on paddles or putting trans to neutral.

Video thanks to Jason from Engineering Explained
                              Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X