Speed Phenom Sells His 25K-Mile C8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Phenom Sells His 25K-Mile C8

Video, and he does well in what he sold it for. Surprised at to whom he sold it to?

Click image for larger version  Name:	4AAEA615-1407-46ED-9223-C7608614A0F7.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	354.8 KB ID:	310988

Thanks CorvetteBlogger for this fun thread!

Originally posted by CorvetteBlogger
    Speed Phenom Sells His 25K-Mile C8 Corvette to CarMax

By
    Keith Cornett
    -
    Sep 14, 2021

One of our favorite Corvette YouTubers will be “without content” for the next few weeks after selling his C8 Corvette to CarMax. Speed Phenom has ordered a 2022 Corvette Stingray IMSA GTLM Championship C8.R Edition and he tells us in his latest video that the new Accelerate Yellow special edition has already been built. And that means his current 2020 Corvette Stingray Z51 Coupe must go.

Austin has actually had his 2020 Corvette on the market for the last few months and we found it offered for sale on AutoTrader for $88,000 which made it one of the cheaper C8 Corvettes on the secondary market. Austin tells us that he also contacted many of the Chevy dealers in his area who basically low-balled him due to the 25,000 miles showing on the odometer, and now that his new Corvette has been built, he needs to move the 2020 Coupe pretty much immediately.

As he drives to a CarMax location, he talks about all the fun he’s had with the Corvette from when he first picked it up back in March 2020 at the National Corvette Museum and then the drive back to Southern California and the good times he had along the way. Austin was one of the first YouTubers to race his Corvette and we’ve watched many of his videos as he tracked his C8 at the major racetracks in the region.

We can tell he’s not expecting too much from CarMax and he tries to play it down after walking out of the facility an hour later with an offer in hand. Instead, he’s quite giddy with the offer of $85,000 for the car which is $3,000 more than he paid for it new. So he takes the cash and gives his 2020 Corvette a loving send-off as we see a lot attendant drive away with the car.

Speed Phenom says this about the car as he rubs the fender and the high wing spoiler:

I’m gonna miss this car. Okay buddy, I’m gonna miss you. You’ve done perfect, you’ve been bulletproof this entire time! You were my first ever mid-engine vehicle and you just blown me away. This is basically the most reliable car I’ve ever had. Off to a new life, hope you have a great journey ahead of you. Get ready guys for the next C8…the Accelerate Yellow one.”

While Speed’s Torch Red C8 Corvette may be gone, we are looking forward to his new 2022 Corvette C8.R Edition that will soon be on the way, and the next-level driving adventures in the new Corvette that he will surely share with us.

Source:
    Speed Phenom
    https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2021...estyle_daily_r ecap&utm_term=2021-09-14
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Good to know carmax gave him 3 grand more than he paid for his car especially since it had 25k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
      Good to know carmax gave him 3 grand more than he paid for his car especially since it had 25k miles.
      I wonder if the decision was based purely on the car as it sat and wasn't effected, either positively or negatively, on knowing who owned the car and how it was used. Said another way, did the fact that it's a minor celebrity car bump value or did the fact that it was tracked regularly decrease value?

I'm assuming neither, I would think any C8 spec'd the same with that mileage could go in and get the same offer.
      2LT Coupe, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue, GT2 seats, Edge Red Calipers and engine cover, Mag Ride, Front Lift, High Wing spoiler, R8C, American Hydrocarbon 5VM kit, museum delivery.

2000 status 5/1, 3000 on 5/4, 3300 on 8/4, 3400 on 8/11, #18 off the line on 8/23, delivered 9/10.

Well worth the wait, the car is amazing!

Comment

So much for the post I saw elsewhere that said C8 prices are starting to crash…. A two year old model (technically three) with 25,000 miles and he gets more than he pays for it.

NICE!
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I am really surprised that he bought a new car exactly like his old one...It would seem there would not be any new insights he can mine from essentially the same car? I was sure he had his name high up on a Z06 list somewhere. That would be interesting to see....
          2LT z51 coupe, Red Mist, mag ride, front lift, NCM delivery, etc.
          Ordered 7/11/20, 2000= 3/18/21, 3000=3/24/21, TPW=7/5/21, Built=7/8/21, NCM delivery=7/22/21

2004 Z06, machine silver
          2016 Ducati xDiavel S, black
          2016 Can Am Spyder F-3, pearl white

Comment

Simply put and I talked with Austin on the phone the night he decided to get one (back and forth for why or why not), yet he so loved his C8 Stingray that he wanted another one. There was “zero” wrong with his 2020. He was very excited about getting his new since he tracks a lot, e.g., his therefore getting a C8.R Special Edition. We talked about whether he was getting the Hypersonic Gray or the Accelerate Yellow. I gave him the two Doug Fehan reasons why Doug would say he should get the AYM one. Also I mentioned, paraphrasing Doug, another reason would be that on his videos his car would show up more distinctly if AYM even when he was being video’s from far away.

Comment

Originally posted by Z06_Pilot View Post
              I am really surprised that he bought a new car exactly like his old one...It would seem there would not be any new insights he can mine from essentially the same car? I was sure he had his name high up on a Z06 list somewhere. That would be interesting to see....
              I think this only increases the odds he gets a Z06, honestly. Imagine if his Stingray had 50,000 miles on it when he went to sell it, I doubt he'd be getting more than he paid at that point.

Going this route when his time is up for the Z06 he can resell a limited run model with less mileage and get his track screamer. He's a smart guy and I'm sure he's got this well planned out. For evidence, see John's post above!
              2LT Coupe, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue, GT2 seats, Edge Red Calipers and engine cover, Mag Ride, Front Lift, High Wing spoiler, R8C, American Hydrocarbon 5VM kit, museum delivery.

2000 status 5/1, 3000 on 5/4, 3300 on 8/4, 3400 on 8/11, #18 off the line on 8/23, delivered 9/10.

Well worth the wait, the car is amazing!

Comment

Good advice you gave him, John. I'm pleasantly surprised that is getting another C8 when he has his McLaren as a crazy track car to hold him over until he gets a Z06.

Comment

Originally posted by Davii1775 View Post

I think this only increases the odds he gets a Z06, honestly. Imagine if his Stingray had 50,000 miles on it when he went to sell it, I doubt he'd be getting more than he paid at that point.

Going this route when his time is up for the Z06 he can resell a limited run model with less mileage and get his track screamer. He's a smart guy and I'm sure he's got this well planned out. For evidence, see John's post above!
                  ah, that makes sense!
                  2LT z51 coupe, Red Mist, mag ride, front lift, NCM delivery, etc.
                  Ordered 7/11/20, 2000= 3/18/21, 3000=3/24/21, TPW=7/5/21, Built=7/8/21, NCM delivery=7/22/21

2004 Z06, machine silver
                  2016 Ducati xDiavel S, black
                  2016 Can Am Spyder F-3, pearl white

Comment

It’s all about content I bet. I really enjoy his C8 videos and I watch a bunch of his McLaren stuff too, but honestly the McLaren and exotics don’t really do anything for me, I usually don’t finish the videos. I’m interested in what he is doing with his C8 but I’m not in the market for an exotic so I don’t really want to watch a bunch of videos about them. By having another C8, he can keep making content that keeps viewers like me coming back to his channel. I think he probably should have kept one of his Mustangs too, I suspect he lost a lot of his original Mustang viewers. There are a lot more Mustang and Corvette owners than there are exotic owners.

Comment

Speed is smart. He is truly self made, did not get handed a dime, but earned it all himself. Those who watched his one video on how he got started, and how he now has several businesses, etc, know it is all his own doing.

He is also the nicest, gentlest person. What his video personna is, is what you get one to one.

Comment

Outstanding! I'm happy for him.

Comment

Much congratulations to Speed Phenom! He truly enjoyed his car, and had a lot of track fun. I must say, I actually started tracking my own car after seeing many of his videos and doing two tours to Ron Fellows Owners School and Level 2 Course.

Made me wonder if I should sell mine too, to be honest... 10,100 miles, a few track days - and Road America coming up, daily driver in city traffic, street-parked everywhere I go outside, have seen rain, have seen deep snow and salt, appeared in some viral pictures on Chevrolet's Instagram and Facebook.
                          Follow me @smurf.vette on Instagram -- https://www.instagram.com/smurf.vette

Comment

Or drive yours for another 15,000 miles and then also sell it for more than you paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                              Or drive yours for another 15,000 miles and then also sell it for more than you paid for it.
                              Exactly, my situation would be to keep her until the Hybrid E-Ray comes out -- that's my statement for moving towards that direction. But for now, I can't stop enjoying the car I have.
                              Follow me @smurf.vette on Instagram -- https://www.instagram.com/smurf.vette

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X