Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

PRIVATE MESSAGE HINT/HELP

Some are having trouble seeing a PM another member has sent them, saying it is just the title and then a big white blank page. Just click on the title and the message will open up for you. Thanks.
See more
See less

Z06’s Gas Guzzler Tax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z06’s Gas Guzzler Tax?

Of course this is not for sure but looking at the numbers in the following Federal Energy Department chart, though might they change for 2023 and doubtful they would help the Z06 out, it is looking likely that we will be paying one on our 2023 Z06’s.

If they do not change, and if the Z06 is subject to one, what do you think that amount would be from the below chart?

Originally posted by EPA
    FOTW #1183, April 26, 2021: New Cars Purchased with Low Fuel Economy Ratings Continue to be Assessed a Gas Guzzler Tax

APRIL 26, 2021
    1. Vehicle Technologies Office
    2. FOTW #1183, April 26, 2021: New Cars Purchased with Low Fuel Economy Ratings Continue to be Assessed a Gas Guzzler Tax

Since 1991, consumers have paid the Gas Guzzler Tax on every new car purchased or leased with an unadjusted combined EPA fuel economy rating less than 22.5 miles per gallon (mpg). This only applies to cars, not pickups, vans, or SUVs. The maximum tax for cars with fuel economy ratings less than 12.5 mpg is $7,700. Most of the models that are assessed the tax are sports cars or luxury models.

Note: Unadjusted fuel economy is based on only city and highway driving cycles, while the fuel economy on the window sticker is based on city, highway, three additional driving cycles, and an on-road adjustment factor.

Source: Internal Revenue Service, Form 6197, (Rev. 10-05), "Gas Guzzler Tax."
    Fact #1183 Dataset
    https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles...tings-continue
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

I hope it would be less than $2600. The car has such a passionate following, so I don't believe a few more thousand dollars will change our minds to purchase the Z06 or not. The first time we fire the engine up, we won't remember what we paid... Or it will justify it!

Comment

In 2019, it was $1995.00 on the ZR1.
      Attached Files

Comment

2021 Stingray MPG is 19 combined, but I don't recall paying the tax. There must be something else getting factored in.

I see a tax occurring on the Z06, but don't know how to quantify it.. Smaller displacement and higher compression could help the MPG, but no V4 mode will cost some MPG.
        2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

Sorry about the trailer bearing picture. I tried to edit, but didn’t find that option.

Regards Brian

Comment

And I still blew it. The gas guzzler tax, was $2100.00. I think I better go relax somewhere. It appears I’m not thinking clearly.

Regards Brian

Comment

The President is a big Corvette fan……maybe John can give him a call……he has connections everywhere…..😄😎👍
              Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

If going off the gt350 it’s fuel economy was of 16 which would give us a tax of 3700.

Comment

Thanks shifter25j. However that is an ouch! Let’s hope for a lot lesser amount.
                  GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragtop 99 View Post

2021 Stingray MPG is 19 combined, but I don't recall paying the tax. There must be something else getting factored in.

I see a tax occurring on the Z06, but don't know how to quantify it.. Smaller displacement and higher compression could help the MPG, but no V4 mode will cost some MPG.
                    I believe it is because of the AFM as talked about here. https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...as-guzzler-tax

I think (guessing) the Z06 tax will be in the 2,600-3,000 range.
                    Delivered 6/30/21: The Red Demon 2021 3LT Red Mist HTC.
                    Jet Black Interior w/Red Stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors. Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
                    AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Engine Vents, Mirror Caps, Front Grill Inserts, and Door Boomerangs.

Comment

Originally posted by BuyPeaksSellDips View Post

I believe it is because of the AFM as talked about here. https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...as-guzzler-tax

I think(guessing) the Z06 tax will be in the 2,600-3,000 range.
                      AFM helps improve the mileage, but doesn't solve the question. The combined mileage on the window sticker is below the MPG threshold, yet there is no tax. It has to do with the adjusted versus unadjusted numbers. According to a Chicago tribune article:

Factoring in the variances that come from individual drivers and conditions, the EPA discounts its findings by 20 percent and that is what is shown on the window sticker. That discount, along with credits, is what is meant by ADJUSTED values.

Since the law was passed in 1975, automakers can still use the UNADJUSTED value in their reporting but none of them do because it is not nearly as accurate and, for marketing purposes, it would be a clear violation of FCC guidelines.
                      A 20% delta would explain how the adjusted 19 MPG sticker exceeds the 22.5 MPG unadjusted threshold.
                      2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
                        A 20% delta would explain how the adjusted 19 MPG sticker exceeds the 22.5 MPG unadjusted threshold.
                        Thank you. It makes more sense now. I am changing my guess to $1,700 now, give or take 1 level. Knowing GM, I'm sure they are striving for $1,300 ($1,700 max)
                        Delivered 6/30/21: The Red Demon 2021 3LT Red Mist HTC.
                        Jet Black Interior w/Red Stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors. Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
                        AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Engine Vents, Mirror Caps, Front Grill Inserts, and Door Boomerangs.

Comment

I seem to remember that when the "guzzler tax" first came out, GM vowed that they would never make a car that had that tax. I might be mis-remembering tho. 😉
                          Save the wave.

Comment

Let’s see a Z06 with no gas guzzler charge with the Z having 575 HP/ 470 TQ…

OR, my paying a one time $1,700 gas guzzler charge for my Z06 having 600 HP/495 TQ.

Where do I write my $1,700 check?

Comment

I had forgotten about the gas guzzler tax. That's annoying but not a deal breaker.

Besides somebody has to pay for all the incentives given to electric cars..(kidding)

I heard it's going up to as much as 12500 on federal in the last bill..but I believe there is a price ceiling of 45 grand for the most incentives...then stages to around 55 grand ...and then comes down accordingly but it's all up in the air right now.

The government is shaping public policy using taxes to deter or incentivize (sp)

GM had previously said with the C7 Z06 they had trouble meeting emissions , performance and fuel efficiency standards which is why they went forced induction.

Supposedly dohc technology is superior to OHV so maybe GM will surprise us and the gas guzzler tax might be minimal?

I'd consider under 2 grand minimal at this point...or about 2 percent of msrp give or take a few grand..

I'd prefer it to be around 2 grand rather than near 4.

Since the 760 HP supercharged heavier mustang gt500 is 3600?

I could see a dohc flat plane crank naturally aspirated 9000 rpm redline V8 get better test data in the EPA testing..

Maybe they can run the test at such a comparative.low rpm to hat the gas mileage will be quite a bit better than the gt500 or whatever many of us suspect.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X