Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: Corvette News/Headlines

With the reveal of the new mid-engine C8 Z06 next week, this CORVETTE TODAY News & Headlines episode is a “must listen-to” podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...OSfY9cINY1UxSw Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, teams up again with Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com to bring you the hottest headlines in the world of Corvette…including the latest on the C8 Z06 reveal on October 26th! Here are a few of the topics covered in this podcast:

1. The C8 Z06 will make public debut at the Petersen Automotive Museum on October 26
2. GM makes a change to 2022 Corvette ordered with Z51 and the high wing
3. C8 Corvette ranked 2nd on the list of the fastest selling cars in September 2021
4. C8 E-Rays are testing in Colorado and outside the Nurburgring in Germany
5. A 95 year old WWII veteran is moved to the head of the line to get his 2022 Corvette
6. Mazzanti to build a Corvette-powered Italian supercar with 761 horsepower
7. A truckload of C8’s goes up in flames
8. Watch a video of BGA building right-hand drive C8 Corvettes

You’ll know everything we know when you listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Listen here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
Watch CORVETTE TODAY on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXC...lOPPQ/featured
See more
See less

How to keep backup camera on while driving (it works for me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep backup camera on while driving (it works for me)

Something I've seen people wish for, that isn't supposed to work. But this worked for me 3 times tonight. The first time by accident, the rest intentionally to test it. This is on a May 2021 build, so it might not work on 2020s, or on cars with more recent software. Heck, it may not work tomorrow now that I've turned the car off.

Process:

Note: I had the infotainment screen on the home screen, displaying the icons, in case that matters.

With the car running, in gear, brake pedal down, press the camera button in front of the mode dial. The screen will display the input from the front cameras (I have mine set to display only the merged, looking down image, in case that makes a difference.)

Press the far left, rear camera button. The screen will shift to the back up camera image.

Take your foot off the brake and start moving forward. If this works like it did for me, the screen will shift to the front camera view, and continue to display that view as you drive. (I figured it would turn off when I reached a certain speed, but I got up to about 45-50 mph and it continued to display.)

Press the left most button again. If it works, the view will switch to the rear view camera and stay there. It's pretty stable - turning Z-mode on and off didn't show the settings screen, it continued to display the camera image. Pressing the home button, however, returned to the home screen of icons.

I'm curious to see if this works for anyone else. Please report yes or no, and the model year / production date of your car.

Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Thanks meyerweb. It will be very interesting to track this. I look forward to all with C8’s posting their rear camera continuously functioning while driving or not experiences here.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Wow, if this works, then it is most certainly a bug in their software. I'll be trying it out tomorrow morning for sure. I'll report back.
      Delivered 6/30/21: The Red Demon 2021 3LT Red Mist HTC.
      Jet Black Interior w/Red Stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors. Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
      AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Engine Vents, Mirror Caps, Front Grill Inserts, and Door Boomerangs.

Comment

Originally posted by BuyPeaksSellDips View Post
        Wow, if this works, then it is most certainly a bug in their software. I'll be trying it out tomorrow morning for sure. I'll report back.
        Yeah, I was almost afraid to post it, because if GM sees this thread they may "fix" the problem in an OTA software update.
        Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

Not having a C8 currently, why is it necessary to have the rear camera on while driving? Is rear visibility that poor?
          Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by CVII View Post
            Not having a C8 currently, why is it necessary to have the rear camera on while driving? Is rear visibility that poor?
            Thank you
            It is not. In fact, using the rearview camera mirror can give you a very wide view. I choose to not use it because your eyes have to adjust to it and I find the rearview mirror view is perfectly fine. HTC rear view may not be as good.
            Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Originally posted by CVII View Post
              Thank you
              I don't think it's that bad, at least in my HTC. But some people seem to think it is, and want to keep the backup camera on. I have to admit it provides a very wide angle view, which could be useful in some traffic situations. Necessary? No.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Yeah, I was almost afraid to post it, because if GM sees this thread they may "fix" the problem in an OTA software update.
                Interesting because I recently drove a new Suburban and noticed the rear view mirror is a camera screen. The Suburban was the premier. Charlie aka cutnout

Comment

That's a great find - thanks for posting.

Does the rear view camera record when it stays on?

Recording would serve as a dash cam.

Comment

meyerweb I can confirm it works for me. My car was built mid June. You don't even need to do all that. Just from a complete stop, press the camera button, then press the left most rear view. Then start driving. Thats it. If you are in park when you press the camera button, then left rear view, then put it in drive, it will switch it to the front view, then you can change it back to the rear view. If the car is in drive, but foot on the brake, and at a complete stop, press the camera button, then rear view button, then start driving, it stays in rear view. You can change views while driving. Its actually a little disorientating look at the cameras on that screen while traveling. You see a lot of "road" in the view, so it looks weird.
                    Jet Black Interior w/Red Stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors. Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
                    AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Engine Vents, Mirror Caps, Front Grill Inserts, and Door Boomerangs.

Comment

Originally posted by cor66vette View Post
                      That's a great find - thanks for posting.

Does the rear view camera record when it stays on?

Recording would serve as a dash cam.
                      I WISH their dash cam mode would also include the rear cam, but it doesn't. Only the front camera, mounted in front of the rear-view mirror is recorded in PDR. My 3rd party camera on my truck has both front and rear cameras. I understand you don't really need rear view on the PDR on the track, but having rear view is critical for a everyday driving dash cam.

I'm sure GM could do it with software code.

Comment

I have 2LT coupe. I tried it minutes ago. Did not work for me.

I heard [ but did not confirm ] somewhere and time ago that the rear camera view can be made to work while in drive going forward. But only with the 1LTs or HTC because they have no rear camera-mirror under all or some circumstances..

I wish that my car was programmed to work full time like meyerweb's does .
                        Last edited by SheepDog; 09-11-2021, 09:03 AM.

Comment

I have a Garmin "Mini" Dash Cam that I move from car to car - easy enough to do, and I would use it if the car didn't have the PDR.

I wouldn't need to view what's behind me (through the dash cam) while I'm driving, and with the PDR as a dash cam for the front, it would be simple enough to put the Garmin Mini on the rear window - I'll be getting the HTC.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post

I heard [ but did not confirm ] somewhere and time ago that the rear camera view can be made to work while in drive going forward. But only with the 1LTs or HTC because they have no rear camera-mirror under all or some circumstances..

Sheep Dog, do happen to recall where you read the info about the 1LTs rear camera? Dang, I have a 1LT so I don't have any camera buttons to push, but would like it if I could access the rear back up camera once in a while. If I knew how to contact the right people at Chevy/GM I'd make a personal inquiry to find out if that could be a possibility. I see fine out the regular mirror, but the camera has a more complete view that I think would come in handy on occasion. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post

What year is your coupe? I wonder if it's coupe vs. HTC, or 20 vs 21, or something else.

I tested it again today, and it still works for me at speeds up to 75 mph. Probably at any speed, but I didn't go over 75 this a.m. In fact, you can push any of the on screen camera buttons, including the forward cameras, and you get that view while moving. But I think the rear view is the only one that's even marginally useful.

It's certainly not something I'd use much, but can see it might be useful to see what's in the area blocked by the right nacelle in heavy traffic.
                              Last edited by meyerweb; 09-11-2021, 01:35 PM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X