MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Reveal Countdown Clock! Official 4/26 GM C8 News. Finally, 7.18.19 Orange County Reveal Location Is Announced!

See more
See less

POLL: Z51 For Your C8 Or Not

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John
    started a poll POLL: Z51 For Your C8 Or Not

POLL: Z51 For Your C8 Or Not

With that or similar winged spoiler, I would still order the Z51 package.
    50.00%
    With that winged spoiler, that alone would kill the Z51 option for me.
    2.08%
    The Z51 would have a significant spoiler, but not the winged one, and then would get it.
    4.17%
    Regardless of winged spoiler or not, no Z51 package for me.
    16.67%
    I would order the Z51 with that winged spoiler, then have my body shop remove it nicely.
    4.17%
    Do not know; have to see the revealed C8 both with and without the winged spoiler first.
    22.92%
    Obviously, we need to make major assumptions at this time, for we do not have the confirmation as to what the ME’s Z51 package would or would not entail. However based on the leaked specs, and if you believe them, there would be a Z51 option as shown on the leaked order sheets (thanks to NBVette4U).

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ed-by-jalopnik

Since there are at least some C7 to C8 parallels, let us first re-look at what the first year, 2014 C7’s Z51 package had as its components.

Performance brakes, special front and rear wheels and tires, black calipers, slotted rotors, dry sump oiling, upgraded suspension, electronic limited slip differential with cooler, performance gear ratios, and an aero package (consisting of at least its full-with rear fascia spoiler).

Tadge was asked if the C7’s rear spoiler could be deleted on a C7 Z51, and his response was, “yes, it can be physically removed, but not recommended” (or words to that effect).

A major assumption of this poll, is that the C8 Z51 would also have a a full-width spoiler as its core component (one that can not be easily removed).

However, it is believed, again without confirmation, that the entry 2020 C8 would have no spoiler, or a smallish spoiler — as in this picture.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DF85E9ED-0298-46B7-8678-98D60FE2496D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	114.6 KB ID:	30763

Again for this poll it is assumed that 2020 C8 Z51 Stingray would have the below winged spoiler — though it would probably be slimed down without its camo. [Note please, however that there is an option below you could select which states that while the Z51 spoiler would be a significant alternative one, it would not in your opinion, have the winged spoiler.]

Click image for larger version  Name:	620424FD-059D-42D0-BF11-F7F025D9CDC4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	71.4 KB ID:	30764

Based on what we think we might know, and the assumption that the Z51 would have a non removable spoiler (without a hack saw or equivalent), please vote as to whether you would or would not be order the Z51 based on what you know today.
    Last edited by John; 03-30-2019, 05:24 PM.

• Milliwatt Rob
    replied
    Remember SPEED RACER ??

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    What if we made a large racing-like decal and put it on your ME while you are sleeping, with its saying “# 1”?

I truly get your point.

Leave a comment:

• Fireeagle
    replied
    I'm used to the Z51 C7 and the added goodies that it gives so I would want those performance options in the C8. I agree with Milliwatt Rob in that I want the higher levels of performance without having that "I should have a number on the side of my car" look.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Mr. Adrenaline, I just got a call from Mary Barra and she said that the Corvette team is going to serve up a Thanksgiving sized platter of adrenaline for you 94 days from now.

Questions is, can any of us handle that much?

Here’s a thread if you have not seen it tangentially addressing your comment about the spoiler, for IMO, the C8 Z51’s is going to look a lot like the C7’s LPO winged one except modified for the needed different aero requirements of a ME.

Leave a comment:

• Adrenaline Junky
    replied
    That curved spoiler has been growin on me for the last coupla months. Now I absolutely like it ! It's as different as the C8 is Spectacular

Leave a comment:

• 73shark
    replied
    Spoilers? We don't need no stinking spoilers. Apologies to Mel Brooks.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Well stated ltomn. Definitely the major relationship between the splitter and the spoiler inbalancing the car.

As for adding aftermarket parts, I am absolutely guilty for mainly visual ones; yet I am aware that even when I do gentle ones that enhance the car (IMO), I get nothing back in return financially. I think of every $1.00 I spend as $1.00 lost but if that mod, such as my Caravaggio steering wheel, makes me happy every time I look at it, it is money well spent to me.

While I typically do between 30-40 mods on every car I own, including all our daily drivers, on our first year ME I will be doing about 1/3 of that (including clear bra, CQuartz Finest, and window tint) as I plan to trade it in one a year two or three Z06. Well maybe I will get back a few cents on my window tint mod...

Leave a comment:

• ltomn
    replied
    It is imperative to wait and see what the engineering is of any spoiler! There may be a symbiotic relationship between the spoiler and another component of the car. Remove one and the other does not function as designed. I am a tried and true believer of the theory that one is best to leave the vehicle original. Not only does it, many times more then not, preserve the value but it also preserves the integrity of the design. It is impossible for me to decide on any performance package that relates to a spoiler until hearing what it does to and for the vehicle.

Leave a comment:

• MikeC8
    replied
    Never owned a C7 without the Z51 option so it’s the same for the C8.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Just re-read the poll’s current total tally. Interesting the result totals for each category. The most interesting one to me was that only 1 vote out of 40 was that spoiler we have been seeing in the spy pictures would absolutely kill the Z-51 package for that person. However, about 20% of total voters said a Z-51 was not in consideration for them for other reasons — but not because of the spoiler. As interesting and just as clearly understandable, was that roughly another 20% who voted said that they would have to see the car with and without the Z-51 package before they would be able to make up their mind.

If we just had a revealed car!
    Last edited by John; 04-05-2019, 12:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    If I remember correctly my auto x champion friend did something similiar back in the day and he was I stated an auto x maniac...

good choices my friend. I always amire your avatar showing your car.

thanks for sharing,

that said...for the c8? I think the fe4 has a siren thats hard not to chose..

Leave a comment:

• meyerweb
    replied
    could any of us really ever tell the difference behind the wheel? That I dont know..
    Actually, yes. I drove a base model and Z51 back to back. Neither had MRC. The Z51 was noticeably stiffer on bumpy pavement, and had noticeably less body roll. In fact, that drive motivated me to replace the sway bar on my car with the larger front bar and rear bar from the Z51. For me the ultimate compromise. Much less body roll, but still, generally, the softer ride of the base model.

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    Performancewise ive always thought standard corvette versus z51 optioned corvette was identical.

in fact back in the late 1990 s I had a buddy who autocrossed his c5 and was always winning...he had bought it preowned very early on and never checked if his car was z51 optioned and had just assummed it was..

he was the scurg of the auto cross circuit for years...then one day he figured out where to look at his option code in his 1997 c5 and we laughed as his car was not a z51 car...

for the roads around where I live...for the conditions could be all in myhead but the heavy duty description of the z51 option makes me feel its a better choice for me...

could any of us really ever tell the difference behind the wheel? That I dont know...but for a few grand of sporty type factory tuning ...what the hell...thats money ill spend...

i do re,ember early on about 18 months after i took delivery of my c6 z51 manual i was contemplating selling my c6 and buying a z06 and the speed at which I got an offer for the car was amazing. I actually found the manual transmission, the black color and the z51 options were in fact demand features at that time...

The black corvette thing I dont think Ill ever do again....blacks a tough color to have as a daily driver...its a wash amd wax every week...thats too much of a pain ..imo

i dont regret it but every once in awhile I laugh at how crazy I was to choose a black car that cant go through a carwash...(too low for the track)

saying to myself what was I thinking. Happened more than once

Leave a comment:

• meyerweb
    replied
    Originally posted by JB View Post

just something to consider for those flipping fast...z51 mrc as the fe4 will be a smart move. If you trade in?
    Chevy does offer MRC on the non-Z51 now, I believe. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the case on the C8, too. Not arguing your general point, just pointing this out.

I don't plan to flip my cars. I generally keep them for a long time, so trade-in or resale value is pretty far down my list of priorities.

Leave a comment:

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X