POLL: Z51 For Your C8 Or Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boomer View Post
    No Z51 package for me. I don't need it. No tracking. Slotted rotors create lotsa brake dust compared to smooth rotors. Dry sump challenges. Stiffer suspension. Same engine, same transmission.

Didn't get the Z51 on my C7 and no regrets. As I said back in 2014 that if they had called the C7 Z51 package the "Track Package" half the folks that got it probably would not have.
    Same here - while I like the idea of added cooling and enhanced braking, I don't track, and the capabilities of the base car are already very substantial and all I need.
    Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
    "Delta t = 23"

Comment

The entry C7 does 1.01G. My guess is that the entry C8 does at 1.03-1.05G without the Z51 package. How many of us exceed 1.0G anywhere other than the track...
      Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of NCM.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        The entry C7 does 1.01G. My guess is that the entry C8 does at 1.03-1.05G without the Z51 package. How many of us exceed 1.0G anywhere other than the track...
        Unless we make a big mistake.
        There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
        2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
        79 coupe Silver/oyster
        All one owner
        Museum lifetime members

Comment

Thanks to Glen E (whom we all learned so much from when the C7 came out, and who is still a member of Autopia and Autogeek), we have these pictures of the LPO 2014 Stingray Z51 optional wing. Do you suppose when the C8’s massively camo’d winged spoiler goes naked, it would look a lot like the C7’s winged one?
          Now that's an interesting question. Regarding the wing: In general, I prefer most cars without wings or spoilers, but the low wing on Glen's car is one of the best looking. I could accept the wing on the C8 if it looks like that. Beyond that, really need to wait to see the car without camo. In the photo above of the no-wing C8, i think the tail-end looks kind of unfinished, just sort of sliding off into nothingness... But that may not be how the actual cars looks at all. Still way to early to tell.

As far as the Z51, I probably wouldn't order it. I just don't see myself doing enough track time to justify it. The few times I've done hot laps, at VIR and NCM, my base C7 had no problem dealing with braking from 130+ mph into moderate speed corners, or from lower speeds into very slow speed corners, or keeping coolant and oil temps in line while going 10 or 12 laps with the throttle wide open a lot of the time. Even in summer temps around 90. Certainly for the duration of a full race at full race speeds the cooling and brakes would probably be overwhelmed, but I'm not going to be doing that.

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
          Better braking is a must and even if only needed once in the life of the vehicle, could possibly save you or others from a serious incident.
          The only way in which the Z51 brakes are really superior is fade resistance. The slightly better braking distance of the Z51 vs. the base C7 was mainly down to the wider tires with stickier compound and a little bit from the softer pad material. Much better fade resistance in repeated stops, but not something you'll really see on the street, even in an emergency.
          Last edited by meyerweb; 03-31-2019, 04:17 PM.
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

I hit an indicated 1G on the street once. ONCE. On a stretch of road I know real well, has good visibility, and no traffic at the time. I was surprised just how stable and secure the car felt. I suspect the in-dash G meter is a little optimistic, though.
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

This is just my opinion. I prefer the heavy duty cooling, suspension and brakes for durability as much as O do for the slightly more sporting feel of the z51.

i would suggest for those flipping fast as the c8 z06 (higher hp version) having a z51 package will make resale easier.

do any of us need it? No but I believe it to be a very good choice. To many z51 is often a desired feature on resale.

just something to consider for those flipping fast...z51 mrc as the fe4 will be a smart move. If you trade in? Then maybe z51 mrc isnt needed...

selling z51 corvettes is pretty easy as long as you dont choose a weird color combo.

all just my opinion as a corvette enthusiast for 20 years and someone who watched the corvette market
              Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT VK3 GKZ HTA

Comment

Just another look at the "GM High Wing Spoiler" option on the C7. I had mine installed by a dealer after delivery, i like how it looks different then the standard Z51 wedge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180815_113540.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	30988
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20180815_113602.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	30989

Comment

It looks good on your C7. I wonder if the camo’d C8 spoiler we have been looking a below, when stripped of its significant camo, looks a lot like the C7’s winged spoiler. We know GM did not offer it as an LDO option on the C7 without massive aerodynamic testing in its two wind tunnels to first determine its efficiency.

As it was C7 allowed on a Z51, it probably had very similar downforce as the regular Z51 spoiler

I would be just fine with the C7’s winged spoiler becoming the C8 Z51’s (as would my gearhead wife who up to now has been even more negative on the spoiler shown below than I).

Click image for larger version  Name:	BDC9B71E-1FA4-4582-97BD-7DB1AF37EF3C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	30995
                  Last edited by John; 04-01-2019, 12:06 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if it were very similar John.

Comment

Just reading GMfleetorderguide.com; for the C7, its option code is (LDO “SB3”), and it only comes in body colors.
                      Last edited by John; 04-01-2019, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

just something to consider for those flipping fast...z51 mrc as the fe4 will be a smart move. If you trade in?
                        Chevy does offer MRC on the non-Z51 now, I believe. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the case on the C8, too. Not arguing your general point, just pointing this out.

I don't plan to flip my cars. I generally keep them for a long time, so trade-in or resale value is pretty far down my list of priorities.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                        >33,000+ miles

Comment

Performancewise ive always thought standard corvette versus z51 optioned corvette was identical.

in fact back in the late 1990 s I had a buddy who autocrossed his c5 and was always winning...he had bought it preowned very early on and never checked if his car was z51 optioned and had just assummed it was..

he was the scurg of the auto cross circuit for years...then one day he figured out where to look at his option code in his 1997 c5 and we laughed as his car was not a z51 car...

for the roads around where I live...for the conditions could be all in myhead but the heavy duty description of the z51 option makes me feel its a better choice for me...

could any of us really ever tell the difference behind the wheel? That I dont know...but for a few grand of sporty type factory tuning ...what the hell...thats money ill spend...

i do re,ember early on about 18 months after i took delivery of my c6 z51 manual i was contemplating selling my c6 and buying a z06 and the speed at which I got an offer for the car was amazing. I actually found the manual transmission, the black color and the z51 options were in fact demand features at that time...

The black corvette thing I dont think Ill ever do again....blacks a tough color to have as a daily driver...its a wash amd wax every week...thats too much of a pain ..imo

i dont regret it but every once in awhile I laugh at how crazy I was to choose a black car that cant go through a carwash...(too low for the track)

saying to myself what was I thinking. Happened more than once

Comment

could any of us really ever tell the difference behind the wheel? That I dont know..
                            Actually, yes. I drove a base model and Z51 back to back. Neither had MRC. The Z51 was noticeably stiffer on bumpy pavement, and had noticeably less body roll. In fact, that drive motivated me to replace the sway bar on my car with the larger front bar and rear bar from the Z51. For me the ultimate compromise. Much less body roll, but still, generally, the softer ride of the base model.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                            >33,000+ miles

Comment

If I remember correctly my auto x champion friend did something similiar back in the day and he was I stated an auto x maniac...

good choices my friend. I always amire your avatar showing your car.

thanks for sharing,

that said...for the c8? I think the fe4 has a siren thats hard not to chose..

Comment

Just re-read the poll’s current total tally. Interesting the result totals for each category. The most interesting one to me was that only 1 vote out of 40 was that spoiler we have been seeing in the spy pictures would absolutely kill the Z-51 package for that person. However, about 20% of total voters said a Z-51 was not in consideration for them for other reasons — but not because of the spoiler. As interesting and just as clearly understandable, was that roughly another 20% who voted said that they would have to see the car with and without the Z-51 package before they would be able to make up their mind.

If we just had a revealed car!
                                Last edited by John; 04-05-2019, 12:57 AM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X