Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast With Kai Spande BGA Manager

On this episode of CORVETTE TODAY, you get to meet the Corvette Plant Manager for the Bowling Green Assembly Plant, Kai Spande!
Your host, Steve Garrett, introduces you to Kai as he traces his career with GM. Kai talks about how the Bowling Green Assembly Plant transitioned from the front engine, C7 Corvette, to the mid-engine C8 Corvette. You'll get insights on the plant expansion and how they made that all happen...giving the new C8 Corvette a true state-of-the-art build facility. Kai also tells you about the Corvettes he has owned and the funny story of how he loved Corvettes, but never thought he'd get to work for it during his tenure at GM. Get to personally know Corvette Plant Manager, Kai Spande, on this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!

Listen here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCRn-2X0SjjEXUt_...
Get CORVETTE TODAY emails: https://CorvetteToday.ck.page
CORVETTE TODAY Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2718423201763136
NEW!!! Get CORVETTE TODAY merchandise here: https://www.agpestores.com//lanmarxgraphix/grouppr...
See more
See less

V6 c8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 c8?

I have just joined this forum, and am sure this topic has been discussed, but for me a V6 turbo C8 would be the stuff of dreams. It could easily push 500hp, and would be light and nimble as any Euro exotic. I would buy one.
    Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Well, sounds like they would sell one anyway. BUT probably not many more. That doesn't seem to be the general consensus from most forum members from what I have read in the many previous posts. Myself, I'm holding out for the rumored 1000hp all wheel drive version. I do believe there is another manufacturer out there offering a turbo V6. Best of luck, to whatever model you choose.

Regards Brian

Comment

Welcome to the forum WillRockwell. We are glad you joined us. Thanks for starting your first post, with it being a new thread.

This V6, V6 turbo or V8 issue has, as you imagined, been discussed quite a bit. We 95% know that the first year 2020 Stingray model (whether entry or Z-51 version), that its motor will be a OHV, V8, naturally aspirated V8, called a LT2, and develop around 500 HP/500 TQ. However, there does persist at least in the minds of some, the belief that the Z06 version could be a turbo V6.

IMO, not likely. I believe not for three reasons.

First, the mid engine configuration is so changed, coupled with the fact that there will be no manual transmission, I just do not think that GM is going totally throw another factor into the mix that would really alienate a whole bunch more of traditional Corvette buyers, e.g., abandon the V8 we have had for over 60 years.

Second, the fact that the Ford GT has a six cylinder motor; could that be in and of itself, enough of another reason why not a six cylinder motor

Lastly, the 2015 IHS MarkIt Engine Forecast forecasted about a 6.2L, OHV, and also two OHC motors, a 4.2L and a 5.5L’s motors. Nowhere do we see any evidence of a V6 or a V6 turbo. Could all this thinking be wrong? I think there is always that the possibility that the MarkIt study and the preponderence of others’ thinking, including mine, could be be wrong. We shall see.

Other folks, please what is your thinking?
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Welcome WillRockwell. For personal and emotional reasons, I hope Corvette sticks with a V8. Could however we be totally surprised and get a turbo V6 for the Z06? I do not think so, but that last time I was never wrong was when I was a teenager.

Comment

I like V8s in my Corvettes.
          My C8:
          '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
          '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
          '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
          '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

If we are starting with a clean sheet of paper, an opposed water cooled 8 would sound intriguing to me. Especially in a turbocharged version.

The idea of a "hot vee" twin turbo V8 frightens me. BMW has tried that configuration for years, with reliability issues. Too much heat for a confined space, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post
              I have just joined this forum, and am sure this topic has been discussed, but for me a V6 turbo C8 would be the stuff of dreams. It could easily push 500hp, and would be light and nimble as any Euro exotic. I would buy one.
              Welcome home Will: I suspect the Ford GT would love to date V8, if it were not married to a V6 that pays the bill on time. There are really light weight V8s out there. The McLaren V8 is under 300 lbs? or about that. The LT1 is lighter than some six cylinder engines. Love the crackle of the Ford GT but is there anything they could do to make it the performance equal of the street V8s. Mclarens. The ferrari. Or the Blackwing let loose. In racing with BoP it works. But love the idea if it's not the single option.

But my dream is a small displacement V16 C8 Corvette. I recognize and dismiss it as a dream. but maybe a V12 Cadillac ME is coming. We almost already had it.
              Last edited by SheepDog; 03-21-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

I currently have two twin turbo V6s (300+ and 400+ hp) and while they are hard to tell performance-wise from a V8, they are kind of buzzy in the higher RPMs. Since they are both stock exhaust, it's hard to tell what they sound like at full song.
                Save the wave.

Comment

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I would be happy with the basic V8 for my ME, I think 500hp is quite enough for a car that size, it should push it to 60 in under 3 seconds. My son drives a 700hp Shelby GT500, and I dont like driving that car. It is squirrely on a twisty road and can only be trusted in a straight line. The idea of a 1000hp C8 to me seems just irresponsible.
                  Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

I agree that the “entry” C8 with a DCT and roughly 500 HP/TQ, will be really fast! I will be stopping at the Z06 version.

However, 1,000 with AWD and advanced GM safety nannies for those who are very skilled, might be just the ticket for them.

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X