Collapse

Consumer Reports Sept 2021 Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stopped reading that rag years ago after they admitted in a review of home audio speakers that they never actually listened to any of the speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringmaster View Post
      I stopped reading that rag years ago after they admitted in a review of home audio speakers that they never actually listened to any of the speakers.
      I would really like to see a link to the situation you are referring to. I did a search and came up empty. I've read CR for many years and don't recall that controversy. "People" claim that CR gets kickbacks from products they make positive comments about. I have never seen that verified either. Genuinely would like to see this info.
      1966 Corvette LS1 restomod
      AMG GTS
      AMG C43 cabrio
      1941 Chevy restomod truck
      Indian Chief Vintage 111
      C8 Z06……..

Comment

I don't even know how they stay in business with so many free and far more comprehensive sources for reviews on all products now. They have always been rabidly Anti-American especially on cars.

Comment

I think the sales/popularity of the C8 speaks volumes and is the better way to rate the car, as opposed to what Consumer Reports (CR) has to say. You're buying a sports car mainly for performance/handling/aesthetics and the Consumer Report rating of "97/100" for the Road Test speaks volumes. My C8 had zero problems to speak of but I know others have had to replace transmissions although all in all, everyone I've talked to has had similar problem-free rides with their C8's so I question the CR reliability rating. Time will tell.

But having said that, I agree with meyerweb that it's nice to have a consistent objective rating that's done the same for each vehicle and then the audience can decide what they look for within those ratings as important.

Perhaps as C8 owners and after the plethora of +++ positive reviews, it's time we "took a hit". lol

As for BMW rating higher and in fact the highest amongst the sports cars used as comparisons, I used to be a BMW fan until I actually owned and drove 2 of them for years. My 7-Series absolutely KILLED me with repairs and in particular those that waited patiently for the warranty to expire before surfacing (ie. brake motherboard, radiator reservoir, top end engine oil leak, front end linkage problems, stereo, etc.). Some admittedly are wear and tear but with the low mileage on it, I hadn't experienced that number of problems with other vehicles that had much greater mileage. My sales manager simply said: "Oh, that was a problem-year for the 7-Series." From what I heard, almost all years were full of problems, which is disappointing for their "flag-ship sedan". My other BMW was a 2005 M3 Cabriolet and it had fewer problems but I sold it after only about 32,000 miles since I no longer trusted BMW's...and I'll never own one again.
          Last edited by netsinah; 11-25-2021, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vipervetteguy View Post

I would really like to see a link to the situation you are referring to. I did a search and came up empty. I've read CR for many years and don't recall that controversy. "People" claim that CR gets kickbacks from products they make positive comments about. I have never seen that verified either. Genuinely would like to see this info.
            vipervetteguy

Everyone needs to make their own judgements/assessments regarding the validity of CR’s product rankings and opinions. A little snip of my experience.... CR claims they are unbiased because they don’t accept any advertising money to sway their opinions, BUT they do accept corporate donations... Either way it’s corporate money (lots of it) given to this organization. I’d rather have them accept advertising, then I know who’s influencing them and it’s out in the open instead of claiming something that it’s really not. (Who would bite the hand that feeds them?) I work for a consumer goods manufacturer that for years gave donations to CR and unsurprisingly received top rankings for our products time and again. There was one month they tested units for a product we make, and they did not test any manufacturer’s product for the main reason/function/feature a consumer would buy such a product... they stated “we assume they all perform satisfactory”... What??? Several years ago, my company made the decision to no longer give “donations” to CR... Absolutely right decision, but we’ve rarely had a CR top-ranking on any of our products since. Coincidence?... I think not. Not sure what verification you’re seeking, but If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it’s probably a duck.
            Delivered 10/20/21... 2022 2LT Coupe Rapid Blue, Natural interior, FE2, Q8T, 3A9, TVS, E60, NPP, VQK....
            1/28/21 - Deposit and Status 1100 (Original order as ‘21) : 7/2/21 - Status 1100 (Reordered as ‘22) : 9/7/21 - Status 2000 : 9/8/21 - Status 3000 : 9/14/21 - Status 3100 : 9/16/21 - Status 3300 (TPW 10/4/21) : 9/24/21 - Status 3400 : 10/5/21 - Status 3800 : 10/6/21 - Status 4000 : 10/13/21 - Status 4200 : 10/18/21 - Status 5000 : 10/20/21 - Status 6000

Comment

Originally posted by vipervetteguy View Post

Sir, I spent my life in the consumer electronics business both in retail while in college and as a sales rep and sales manager on the manufacture's side. The article I was referring to was published quite a while ago and was widely criticized and mocked by everyone in the industry since everyone who knows anything about the hi fi hobby knows that speakers cannot be judged by test equipment alone. If you can't find the article I'm sorry. I probably couldn't either. The fact that you don't recall the controversy means what? Are you an audiophile? If so why would you be reading consumer reports?

Comment

One thing I have noticed about reactions to Consumer Report Reviews. If someone likes the item being tested but hates the actual review from CR, they say what a joke CR is. But if the test results favor their product, all of a sudden its a well respected magazine. 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Denizen View Post

I've owned both Beemers and Bimmers but a Mini Cooper is neither. I know they bought it but that's like claiming a Land Rover as a Bimmer since they bought it in 2006. It's now China owned. Seems like these entities are bought and sold quite regularly.
                  Denizen!! Did not know that! Well… I guess my Mini days are Be-Nein me… 😳
                  2022 Arctic White Z5, HTC, AH2seats, Perform Traction, Carbon Flash Mirrors, Red Calipers, Comp Rocker Ext, Carbon Flash Spoiler, Carbon Flash Nacelles, Front Lift, Mag Ride, Std Wheels (going to Black Chrome) Front/Rear Splash Guards, Torch Red Seat Belts, Museum Plaque, Two Tone GT2 Seats Red-Black, Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Sueded Steering, Batt Charge, Born Date: Nov 9th. Delivery Date: Nov 29th. 684 days from Order Date… 👏😎

Comment

So recently I saw where someone in the local Corvette club here in Georgia lost an engine. I think it was a failed valve spring that started the event. It ended with a destroyed engine. He was left with a car stuck in the middle of the road with no way to get it moved. I am sure most of you know there is no way to easily disengage the engine from the transmission so the car can't be rolled if the engine dies. No wrecker wanted the liability of trying to load the car. Finally a local dealer sent his Vette tech who actually jacked the car up and put dollies under the rear wheels so it could be loaded on a wrecker. Sure seems like Chevrolet could have come up with an accessible lever to disengage the transmission. I have a Ram truck that has a lever in the dash you can pull that disengages the transmission and allows the car to be rolled. On the Corvette you need a $600.00 dollar tool that requires you to remove the trunk liner to access the location where it has to be inserted. I think the location the tool inserts into is close to the transmission fill plug.
                    I am sure this gentlemen would not give the Corvette C8 a very high reliability rating.
                    Does anyone have any tips on what to do if we encounter a situation that requires the C8 to be loaded on to a wrecker? I wonder if there is a written instruction on how to do so that doesn't include dollies under the back tires? That instruction would be handy to have. I hope it never happens but would be awful to add further damage to the car trying to load it up on a wrecker. Might not be the right place for this post but I think this is an interesting topic that can be classified as a design / quality concern. I love my car by the way.
                    Last edited by OldYellow; Today, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I would be boiling and hard pressed not to tell GM to just "keep it". Broke down vehicle is horrible no matter what brand it is.

Comment

Nothing wrong with dollies under the rear tires. All of the tow guys I know say this is not a problem and have done this with no damage to the vehicle.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X