Consumer Reports Sept 2021 Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer Reports Sept 2021 Issue

Much to my surprise, the new Consumer Reports Issue (arrived yesterday) has an Auto Review of the Chevrolet Corvette on Page 63.
    Under the "Road Report" Section, they dedicate 1/2 page to the 2020 Corvette.
    Not a glowing review, with an Overall Score of only 68 it places it well below the following cars:
    BMW M240i - 88
    Porsche 718 Boxster - 83
    Toyota Supra - 83
    BMW Z4 - 79
    Ford Mustang - 75
    AUDI TT - 73

I guess it should be on your local newsstands by now.

Thoughts?

Mike Scibetta
    St Cloud, FL
    Future Owner/Operator of 2022 C8 Corvette

Really ... The C8 compared to the BMW M240i 🤣
    1999 C5 Magnetic Red Coupe -Z51 - SOLD 7/31/21
    2021 C8 Red Mist Z51 HTC, 2LT Mag Ride & Front Lift

Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels
    GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Delivered – August 28th @ The National Corvette Museum

Comment

I do not subscribe; never have.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

All these autos mentioned on the report, I would not even consider.

Comment

Meh, meh, meh ...
          2014 C7 3LT Coupe Laguna Blue Z51, SOLD but not forgotten

2022 C8 HTC 3LT Z51 Red Mist Metallic, Natural Dipped Interior, Carbon Flash Nacelles, Carbon Flash Dual Racing Stripes, Carbon Flash Outside Mirrors and Rear Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Magnetic Ride Control, Front Lift, Edge Red Calipers

Comment

Consumer Reports is not exactly the best resource for automotive comparisons. Maybe if I was buying a stove.
            2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue, Sky Cool Gray, 2LT, Z51, GT2 Seats, FE4 mag ride, nose lift, performance exhaust, carbon flash wheels. Loving it!

Comment

Originally posted by ELB2020VETTE View Post
              Consumer Reports is not exactly the best resource for automotive comparisons. Maybe if I was buying a stove.
              This. Objective testing they do well for appliances, etc. Sports cars are a subjective evaluation for them and they don't fit their subscriber model. Objective measures, 0-60, 1/4 mile, skidpad, etc. would not support their conclusion.

I don't hold malice towards the M240 or a boxster, so I'm not surprised they are liked and scored well. I'm more curious as to why the C8 is rated so far below them.
              2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

66? Their C8 specimen must have had Covet66 virus. Or Carvid19. Or the testers did.

Comment

You need to look at more than just the overall test score. On the Road Test score they gave in 97 out of 100. They raved about the accelration, handling, braking, transmission, MSRC suspension and fit and finish. The said it's the quickest car they've ever tested.

They down graded it over poor visibility, lack of certain safety features standard on much cheaper cars, and a spotty reliability record.
                  Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I got a laugh from their comment that trying to exit the car was the equivalent of a yoga session.

Comment

I've never put any faith in Consumer Reports auto testing...have found it way off the mark for every car I've ever owned. But meyerweb is correct in that you have to look deeper than the overall test score and just think about individual categories, then draw your own conclusion relative to your preferences.

They do, however, seem to get it right when testing tires.
                      '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
                      '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
                      Several others including two C7's

'20... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels- 10/1/20😀 GAME CHANGER

Comment

Video on 2021 Corvette
                        Thanks to Consumer Reports
                        Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

Need to read the article…. And of course who wrote it… I’ve be a Beamer fan for many years… mini-coopers to i8… there’s more to this story. BTW… my first C8 order is with Starling in St Cloud…almost 20 months ago…😢
                          2022 Arctic White Z5, HTC, AH2seats, Perform Traction, Carbon Flash Mirrors, Red Calipers, Comp Rocker Ext, Carbon Flash Spoiler, Carbon Flash Nacelles, Front Lift, Mag Ride, Std Wheels (going to Black Chrome) Front/Rear Splash Guards, Torch Red Seat Belts, Museum Plaque, Two Tone GT2 Seats Red-Black, Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Sueded Steering, Batt Charge, Born Date: Nov 9th. Delivery Date: Nov 29th. 684 days from Order Date… 👏😎

Comment

Got my 2021 HTC c8 in April this year and it replaced my Boxster. I love both cars but the c8 is superior as far as I am concerned. Faster, better looking, more comfortable. I will say the Boxster on a curvy, hilly road was a blast to drive. Never had an issue with it either so I liked the reliability.

I am at 2300 miles on my Vette and so far so good. I will say I have gotten more positive comments and wows from my c8 in 3-4 months than any car I have ever owned for years, including my Porsche.

Honestly, if I ever leave my present home I will get a home with a four or five car garage, keep my SUV for my rescue dogs and surf trips along with taking groups of friends or families out and have 3-4 sports cars to play with.

The new Lotus coming out next year is one I'd consider and I wouldn't have sold the Boxster either.

Have driven a mustang and Audi TT and wasn't blown away by either. Have owned several Toyotas and love the reliability as I drove both over 250k miles w no major repairs.

Never owned it driven a BMW as most of their models look rather plain to me.
                            August 2020 deposit with MacMulkin, order accepted from GM February 11. 2021 Delivered April 2021. Elkhart Lake Blue HTC, adrenaline red two tone 2LT interior, GT2 seats, NPP exhaust, carbon fiber colored roof and narcelles, extended black rocker panels, carbon fiber colored mirrors, front lift.

My first Corvette ever. Previous cars, Mazda RX7 convertible, Ford Thunderbird convertible, Porsche Boxster

Comment

Originally posted by Ragtop 99 View Post

This. Objective testing they do well for appliances, etc. Sports cars are a subjective evaluation for them and they don't fit their subscriber model. Objective measures, 0-60, 1/4 mile, skidpad, etc. would not support their conclusion.

I don't hold malice towards the M240 or a boxster, so I'm not surprised they are liked and scored well. I'm more curious as to why the C8 is rated so far below them.
                              You be the judge of their “credible & unbiased” for [any] product ratings.... While they say they’re ratings have no bias because they do not accept advertising, BUT they do take corporate “donations”. Hmmmm.
                              Delivered 10/20/21... 2022 2LT Coupe Rapid Blue, Natural interior, FE2, Q8T, 3A9, TVS, E60, NPP, VQK....
                              1/28/21 - Deposit and Status 1100 (Original order as ‘21) : 7/2/21 - Status 1100 (Reordered as ‘22) : 9/7/21 - Status 2000 : 9/8/21 - Status 3000 : 9/14/21 - Status 3100 : 9/16/21 - Status 3300 (TPW 10/4/21) : 9/24/21 - Status 3400 : 10/5/21 - Status 3800 : 10/6/21 - Status 4000 : 10/13/21 - Status 4200 : 10/18/21 - Status 5000 : 10/20/21 - Status 6000

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X