New ME Article Today (July 27th)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ME Article Today (July 27th)

It asks a “question,” sorry it does not provide any new information.

Originally posted by gmauthority
    Community Question: What Should The Mid-Engine C8 Corvette’s Benchmark Be?Click image for larger version  Name:	5D042935-0800-47C1-9773-101DB09C1477.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	2979
    The mid-engine C8 Corvette is becoming a more common sight in spy shots and new information has become more readily available about the revolutionary new model.

Ahead of its launch, we felt it was proper to ask: what do you think the C8 Corvette’s benchmark should be? Exotics from Lamborghini and Ferrari? Sports cars from Porsche? Something else?

Part of our inquiry comes after Lamborghini smashed the Porsche’s Nürburgring lap record with the upcoming Aventador SVJ. The high-performance Italian supercar managed to scoot around the circuit in 6:44.97. Previously, Porsche set the production-car lap record with a 6:47.3 time and the 911 GT2 RS.

We don’t know how quick the 2019 C7 Corvette ZR1 is around the famed track, but a mid-engine car will certainly improve upon the front-engine car’s performance. The ZR1 may also be the pinnacle of the Corvette team’s work with a front-engine car. We doubt its 755 horsepower and aero trickery will be enough to claim the ‘Ring’s top time. We could see the Corvette name dip under seven minutes for the first time, though.

The C8 mid-engine Corvette has been spotted testing alongside other Corvette variants, but also Porsche 911s, too. The team clearly has its long-time rival in its crosshairs, and eventually, we may see the new car go head-to-head with more exotic machines; rumor has it a Corvette Hybrid could push close to 1,000 hp and boast an all-wheel-drive system.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/07/...#ixzz5MTZGUck0

What do you think the ME’s Benchmark should be? The article goes on to give the reader choices of the Porsche 911, Ferrari, Lamborghini or “something else.”

I personally think the Porsche 911 should be the ME’s benchmark (different 911’s depending on which version of the ME is next coming to market). Interestingly, the 911 is the only car we have ever seen in a spy pic with an ME (though in two different ones).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John; 07-28-2018, 06:31 PM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

While the Porsche is the Corvette's main competition, the benchmark should be the exotics. Could you imaging the interest in the Corvette if it is able to outperform a Lambo or Ferrari on the track and in the 0 to 60, with a shorter stopping distance and better handling? At a price that is 1/3 or a 1/4 of the cost and with the same visual curb appeal?

Comment

Great points Fireeagle! Bet that happens, and with this side profile, look out exotics. Rendering thanks to fvs. And every time he does a rendering, he adds, “I am sure that the final car will be much better looking in person than what I have done.”

Click image for larger version

Name:	FE28E762-F2A1-415A-9327-5F4A795F8523.png
Views:	2
Size:	577.0 KB
ID:	2992
      Attached Files
      Last edited by John; 07-27-2018, 02:18 PM.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireeagle View Post
        While the Porsche is the Corvette's main competition, the benchmark should be the exotics. Could you imaging the interest in the Corvette if it is able to outperform a Lambo or Ferrari on the track and in the 0 to 60, with a shorter stopping distance and better handling? At a price that is 1/3 or a 1/4 of the cost and with the same visual curb appeal?
        Agree. It’s interesting when you consider that back in 2013 Motor Trend (and others) reported seeing 2014 Corvettes out testing with a several MEs... a Ferrari 458, McLaren MP4-12C, Audi R8... along with a Porsche 911.

Perhaps the exotics have been the benchmark all along, and have spurred/accelerated the Corvette to (finally) go ME.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/corv...r8-v10-363581/
        Last edited by FrankLP; 07-28-2018, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Thank you Frank for that reminder. I had forgotten that even five years ago, the C7 was being tested with the Ferrari and the Audi. It was good to re-read that article.

Comment

First of all FVS you have done a exceptional job on that rendering. John if the ME could do the Ring around the 7 min mark that would would be amazing for the performance, looks and value compared to the competition. I'm getting more excited with each new post. Thanks John for all of your placements of the various articles and your time.
            Rocket City Florida

Comment

While i am ME crazy as all here know, the 2020 entry model does not IMO have a prayer of getting to around 7 minutes ‘Ring time, not with just 500 HP. Even with the ME’s reduced drag compared to a C7, it takes lots of juicie to do under 7 minutes there. However, the Z06-equivalent ME version, has a great chance of getting below 7:00:00. And of course while we do not even have official GM info that the entry model is coming for 2020, that will be happening.

As to when the Z06 model of the ME is coming, the tea leaves are not yet definitively speaking to me nor anyone outside of GM. My best guess is that it would be the 2021 model; if not, 100% chance it would be the 2022 ME.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                While i am ME crazy as all here know, the 2020 entry model does not IMO have a prayer of getting to around 7 minutes ‘Ring time, not with just 500 HP. Even with the ME’s reduced drag compared to a C7, it takes lots of juicie to do under 7 minutes there. However, the Z06-equivalent ME version, has a great chance of getting below 7:00:00. And of course while we do not even have official GM info that the entry model is coming for 2020, that will be happening.

As to when the Z06 model of the ME is coming, the tea leaves are not yet definitively speaking to me nor anyone outside of GM. My best guess is that it would be the 2021 model; if not, 100% chance it would be the 2022 ME.
                Yes John I absolutely agree the Base ME will not be able to touch the 7 min times, but with the new technology and performance advancements accelerating at a rapid rate these days, it won't be long before they put a power plant in the ME down the road that will be phenomenal !
                Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Fireeagle View Post
                  Not sure that would matter at all to most exotic car buyers. They're paying for exclusivity at least as much as performance. A Ferrari or Lambo is a way of saying "Look at me!" A Corvette, even an ME Corvette, is going to be too common to generate that kind of reaction.
                  SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                  >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

For sure for many of the current exotic owners would never buy a Corvette. At the same time, since many are addicted to having low miles on their exotics, when they could get a gorgeous ME Corvette for 12 or 1/3 the price, some will buy one to use it as a daily driver, many would do that.

We have two members (that I know of) of this forum who own a Porsche and a Ferrari and bought a C7 for their DD (love it) and thus plan on getting an ME as their next daily driver.

Comment

As Fireeagle noted, the ME is going to primarily take away from Porsche sales.
                      Looking forward to our ME arriving.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X