Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

PRIVATE MESSAGE HINT/HELP

Some are having trouble seeing a PM another member has sent them, saying it is just the title and then a big white blank page. Just click on the title and the message will open up for you. Thanks.
See more
See less

What's next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vette Interested View Post

HTC crazy, I will be THAT pain in the azz that asks if you have the actual fitting part # you used? Makes it easier for simple minds like mine! (Is that fitting PVC)?
    I don't have a part number. I took the drain/grommet to the hardware store and found a PVC fitting inside the grommet and then bought some hose that fit the fitting. Everything is larger diameter than the drain opening so there won't be any restriction.

Comment

Originally posted by Cratchet View Post
      I have an appointment on the 13th for my dealer to fix the problem.
      A little birdie from Carlisle says a robot missed some welds on the tunnel. And that I'm not the ONLY one.
      I'll keep y'all posted.
      When I got to the dealer this morning I found out my appointment was cancelled. Due to lack of technicians they said.
      Waiting on a reschedule.
      Mike
      2021 CMG two tone blue 3LT HTC

Comment

When I got to the dealer this morning I found out my appointment was cancelled. Due to lack of technicians they said.
        Waiting on a reschedule.
        Mike
        That sux Mike. More like a lack of knowledge than technicians. I wish you were closer. I could fix it for and you wouldn't be at the mercy of the dealer. If you have access to a lift, it's a quick fix to do it yourself.

Comment

Waiting on a reschedule.
          Mike
          That does SUX big time. Courtesy call would have saved you the trip to the dealer to find that out.
          Rapid Blue 3LT, HTO Tension Blue, Z51, 5ZZ, E60, ZZ3, ZYC, FE4, J6N, FA5, Q8Q, SHW, VJR, C2Q, R8C

Comment

Originally posted by HTC crazy View Post
            For those that want to know how I solved this - I removed the panel under the car and sealed all the seams so regardless of missed welds, they were water proof. After thinking about the fact that the water from the drain just falls into the tunnel with no real drain, a pizz poor design, I put a fitting into the drain and ran a drain hose all the way back to the opening in the rear pan for the oil filter. Now, all water drains directly out onto the ground like it should have been from the factory, like all other cars already do.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	308577

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	440.8 KB
ID:	308578
            HTC, many thanks for this. Per chance, do you what the torque specs are to the bolts you took out to remove the bottom cover pan? Also, where did you source your tubing/fitting so others car get the same size, etc?

Comment

For those that want to know how I solved this - I removed the panel under the car and sealed all the seams so regardless of missed welds, they were water proof. After thinking about the fact that the water from the drain just falls into the tunnel with no real drain, a pizz poor design, I put a fitting into the drain and ran a drain hose all the way back to the opening in the rear pan for the oil filter. Now, all water drains directly out onto the ground like it should have been from the factory, like all other cars already do.

What did you use to seal the seams?

Is that aluminium tape?
              Torch Red, 2LT, Z51, Q8T, AH2, TU7, FE4, J6N, Deposit July 23, 2019 - 2000 Jan. 20 - 3000 Feb.1 - TPW: July 27, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucketoy View Post

What did you use to seal the seams?

Is that aluminium tape?
                The aluminum tape was installed from the factory in a feeble attempt to avoid the water from getting into the seam. I used polyurethane sealer (link posted earlier) on the seam. I've used it in several car builds and it can't be beat. As far as the posts on the other forum regarding the anchors I used for the hose, they use 3M mounting tape. I've used them to support wiring harnesses that weigh many times more than the hose and have never had a failure plus there's no heat in the tunnel.

I find it interesting that the other forum thread on this issue has over 180 posts and over 10,000 views. Seems to me that it's more than just a couple of cars with this issue like some erroneously think.
                Last edited by HTC crazy; 09-14-2021, 09:48 PM.

Comment

The aluminum tape was installed from the factory in a feeble attempt to avoid the water from getting into the seam. I used polyurethane sealer (link posted earlier) on the seam. I've used it in several car builds and it can't be beat. As far as the posts on the other forum regarding the anchors I used for the hose, they use 3M mounting tape. I've used them to support wiring harnesses that weigh many times more than the hose and have never had a failure plus there's no heat in the tunnel.

I find it interesting that the other forum thread on this issue has over 180 posts and over 10,000 views. Seems to me that it's more than just a couple of cars with this issue like some erroneously think.
                  I definitely agree with your last sentence. It sounds like it is quite possible that there could be many more owners that may have this problem but aren’t aware of it, unless and until they look underneath their passenger floormat.

Comment

As JimB said, if concerned pick up your passenger side floormat and feel for yourself.

However, let us please stop worrying based on histrionics elsewhere and look at what we know. If one is too lazy to pick up one floormat (no tolls required) IMO one should not own a Corvette.

There was a problem with improper installation of the coolant line under the glove box area which caused some vehicles to have wet floorboards. Despite the elsewhere’s “the sky is falling,” it was not a problem that effected many vehicles. However GM listened and figured out a way to properly install it during the assembly process. That greatly reduced the amount of the problem.

Since then we have a handful or perhaps maybe two handfuls who have experienced the problem and GM is further looking at this. If anyone is are currently concerned, pick up your floor mat and feel if yours is wet. If so take it to your dealer. If not, smile and know that of the 40,000+ delivered C8’s this is currently a very small group of C8’s now having the problem.
                    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

• Originally posted by John View Post
                      As JimB said, if concerned pick up your passenger side floormat and feel for yourself.

However, let us please stop worrying based on histrionics elsewhere and look at what we know. If one is too lazy to pick up one floormat (no tolls required) IMO one should not own a Corvette.

There was a problem with improper installation of the coolant line under the glove box area which caused some vehicles to have wet floorboards. Despite the elsewhere’s “the sky is falling,” it was not a problem that effected many vehicles. However GM listened and figured out a way to properly install it during the assembly process. That greatly reduced the amount of the problem.

Since then we have a handful or perhaps maybe two handfuls who have experienced the problem and GM is further looking at this. If anyone is are currently concerned, pick up your floor mat and feel if yours is wet. If so take it to your dealer. If not, smile and know that of the 40,000+ delivered C8’s this is currently a very small group of C8’s now having the problem.
                      There were a few that had the problem with the hose being incorrectly installed, HOWEVER there have been MANY that have had wet carpets and the hose was not the issue, GM has identified it to be an intermittent problem with the welding process on the panels and it has affected both 2020 and 2021 cars. Their previous attempts to fix it with the foil tape and a big glob of sealer was not the solution.

Comment

• That is not accurate. There are not many at this time. Even with many on the other place posting in the two different current threads on this, that alone giving us a distorted picture, i.e., in my counting the number of distinct individuals who have posted they have a leak at this time I stand by my statement that not even two handfuls are having a leak since the major fix went into place.

I feel for those very few whose problem is continuing despite their already visiting their dealer a couple of times. That is ugly, but please not “the sky is falling” when over 46,000 C8’s are being currently driven by owners.
                        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

• First off, GM has NOT come up with a "major fix", only a TSB to check the hose and that solved the issue for very few. Myself included, I know of 4 cars locally that leak and I'm the only one on any forum. I'm a long time member of one of the largest Corvette organizations and I doubt more than 1% of the members belong or read any forum. I suppose if you're lucky enough to not have a leaky car, leaky transmission, failed transmission, peeling paint around the headlights or a host of other rare yet still somewhat common issues you can be blind to the problems. Having owned 16 Corvettes over the last 47 years, I'm well aware of the quality of GM cars. They're not perfect and definitely not without problems. No the sky isn't falling, but considering the fact that a very small fraction of those 46,000 car owners ever post on any internet site, the problem is probably much larger than you care to believe.

Comment

• Actually 25% of Corvette owners belong to a forum. No one here is of the opinion that Corvettes do not have problems. I know that they do; I have experienced a few over my my four decades of ownership and every one has been solved under warranty or if the warranty was over, on my nickel.

We also know that every brand has issues. And that is why every brand has warranties.

Comment

• Originally posted by HTC crazy View Post

The tubing you used will not like the heat in that area where you routed it. Over time it will sag and close down at each mounting clamp. your idea is great ,but you might want to look
                              at Fuel line, vacuum line, or Aeroquip hose which is heat rated . I would love to see pictures of your installation after you have driven the car for month or too. Not trying to be a hard guy, but just adding my thoughts.
                              3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

• Originally posted by Racer86 View Post

The tubing you used will not like the heat in that area where you routed it. Over time it will sag and close down at each mounting clamp. your idea is great ,but you might want to look
                                at Fuel line, vacuum line, or Aeroquip hose which is heat rated . I would love to see pictures of your installation after you have driven the car for month or too. Not trying to be a hard guy, but just adding my thoughts.
                                I like the elbow part of the fix but don't see a need for the long hose. I would just drop a hose down and maybe even punch a hole in the belly pan.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X