Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

2021 engine problem (solved!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 engine problem (solved!)

I was enjoying my 2021 2LT Z51 C8 for 850 miles until I started to notice that I was having a little trouble accelerating while on a drive. I wasn't really sure what was going on since the car seemed mostly fine but would kind of stutter or have a bit of trouble accelerating. I drove home and parked when I heard a CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK from the engine bay. Sitting in the car while it idles I can feel the whole car shudder a bit from time to time. The noise also increases in frequency if I give the engine some gas.

I had the car towed to the dealer and they haven't got back to me yet. I've attached a video of the noise. Any idea what it could be?

Update: The dealership took a look and it was just a loose sparkplug wire and apparently my car is good to go again. I feel a bit silly but at least it wasn't something worse!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image2.jpeg Views:	276 Size:	2.53 MB ID:	295044
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tastysauce; 07-31-2021, 01:50 PM.

We are very sorry to hear that sound. Excellent recording job you did. Sorry I am no help on this sound for it sound way too loud to me to be your typical direct injection ticking. Hopefully it will make quick sense to your dealer and they can fix it asap without a big issue. Thanks for keeping us informed as this unfolds.
    2023 Z06: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, PBC, E60, and with every visible carbon fiber option including wheels. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

That sounds like a lifter tick to me. Definitely too loud to be the injectors, but I guess that's possible as well if one was going bad.
      2LT Coupe, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue, GT2 seats, Edge Red Calipers and engine cover, Mag Ride, Front Lift, High Wing spoiler, R8C, American Hydrocarbon 5VM kit, museum delivery.

2000 status 5/1, 3000 on 5/4, 3300 on 8/4, 3400 on 8/11, #18 off the line on 8/23, delivered 9/10.

Well worth the wait, the car is amazing!

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Possibly one of the one of the springs collapsing as has happened to many. Seems all manufacturers have some issues with valve springs. If so they should be able to get you fixed up quickly.

May possibly also be a plug wire grounding out and making that tick , however seems a little loud.
        Last edited by Frenzy36; 07-30-2021, 06:46 PM.
        Rocket City Florida - 2013 427 Vert - 2015 ZO6 - 2020 Stingray

Comment

That sounds like a sticky injector or lifter. If so pretty easy fix.

Comment

Sounds like a sticky tappet, yes. My father the Chevy mechanic threw in some Marvel Mystery Oil in such cases

Comment

I think it's a "Notify Next of Kin" sound.
              Growing old is mandatory; growing Up is Optional

Comment

Here is a story on GM's V8 lifter issues on the pickup and SUVs. Wonder if there's any connections to the C8 engine. Hope not.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/07...lifter-issues/

Comment

I don’t want to sound negative, but I experienced this exact same thing minus the loud ticking on the blvd I the museum when I first fired our C8 at our museum delivery. The car rocked hard with an erratic miss…. When we got it outside it stumbled on even easy acceleration. Our issue was a collapsing valve spring that led to a 5 day delay on our trip back home to Oregon. Kind of depressing with less than 13 miles on the car, but Chevrolet made good on it. Most of the other cars that suffered the same issue lasted into the 120-to 160 mile range and I saw two total engine failures at another dealership. I would find a GOOD dealer and let them get you back on track. It’s still been the most exciting car my wife and I have ever had.

Comment

This is exactly why I didn't want a 2021. There had to be problems with the first year of such a radical new design. I managed managed a design engineering group and we could never test all the bugs out.

Comment

Valve spring issue has been brought up many times. A tiny portion of C8’s will have this issue before 2000 miles .Take it in and let us know the exact cause please.
                      Red mist C8. Z51 coupe.

2023 Z06 wait list # 396 current #394 at Ciocca Chevy

Comment

Originally posted by Fasted60 View Post
                        This is exactly why I didn't want a 2021. There had to be problems with the first year of such a radical new design. I managed managed a design engineering group and we could never test all the bugs out.
                        Nothing radical about the push rod engine so your claim is false regarding this engine. Vender mistakes in manufacturing a product isn’t anything new. Bad valve springs passing quality control is the bigger problem.
                        Last edited by MikeC8; 07-31-2021, 09:19 AM.
                        Red mist C8. Z51 coupe.

2023 Z06 wait list # 396 current #394 at Ciocca Chevy

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC8 View Post

Nothing radical about the push rod engine so your claim is false regarding this engine. Vender mistakes in manufacturing a product isn’t anything new. Bad valve springs passing quality control is the bigger problem.
                          True, nothing new, but all new at the same time. Just my experience is that new designs have inherent problems. Not that GM won't fix them, I just don't want to deal with them. Note the recent announcement the GM has tweaked the motor. " The updates include revisions to the V8’s fuel delivery and active fuel management systems, along with some minor alterations to the engine calibration." It's just normal new stuff. I'll wait for a 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasted60 View Post

True, nothing new, but all new at the same time. Just my experience is that new designs have inherent problems. Not that GM won't fix them, I just don't want to deal with them. Note the recent announcement the GM has tweaked the motor. " The updates include revisions to the V8’s fuel delivery and active fuel management systems, along with some minor alterations to the engine calibration." It's just normal new stuff. I'll wait for a 2022.
                            Well, GM just tweaked the motor, as you noted, so you'll need to sit on the sidelines until 2023 at least. Maybe 2024 just to be safe?

If you sit on the sidelines of life you get a good view as it passes you by.

Comment

I appreciate the support here. I read this forum for 11 months while I waited for my car and now I'll be reading it while I wait for my car... again! I will report back on what the dealership says the issue is. I should know this morning (or I'll flatbed it to a better dealership).

I had some trouble googling for my exact issue, so I hope someone else can stumble upon this thread in the future and find some answers once I have them.
                              Last edited by tastysauce; 07-31-2021, 11:19 AM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X