rear hatch up drains battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear hatch up drains battery?

(Probably a duh question) ....I have a coupe and would like to have the hatch up at car shows to make it easier for people to see the engine and also to avoid any chance of scratches, etc, from them leaning over. The two rear storage lights stay on when the hatch is up. Can the hatch be left up for periods of time without harming the battery and, if so, for how long at a time?

Most late model vehicles have a time limit (10 min) on current draw and automatically shut down whatever is drawing power. Chevy called that Retained Electrical Power (REP) on the Tahoes.

Have you checked to see if a fuse could be pulled?
    Last edited by 73shark; 07-20-2021, 09:44 PM.
    Save the wave.

Comment

The lights should go out after a certain amount of time. I believe it's 10 minutes. I put the battery maintainer in my frunk and I don't click it shut, but simply let the hood rest on the latch and the light goes out after 10 minutes. I also leave the trunk up when I get home from a spirited run and the trunk light goes out after about 10 minutes. I don't have the engine appearance package so I don't have the LED lights on the trunk lid itself, but I would think it would operate the same way as the other frunk and trunk lights.

Comment

[QUOTE=. Can the hatch be left up for periods of time without harming the battery and, if so, for how long at a time?[/QUOTE]

What pksjc. #3 said, they go out in about 10 min.

Comment

From the Owners Manual:

Battery Power Protection
          This vehicle has a feature to help
          prevent the battery from being
          drained in case any of the following
          lamps are left on: vanity mirror
          lamps, cargo lamps, reading lamps,
          or glove box lamps. If any of these
          lamps are left on, they will
          automatically time-out after about
          10 minutes. To reset it, the ignition
          must be turned on.

Exterior Lighting Battery
          Saver

The exterior lamps turn off about
          10 minutes after the ignition is
          turned off, if the parking lamps or
          headlamps have been manually left
          on. This protects against draining
          the battery. To restart the 10-minute
          timer, turn the exterior lamp control
          to the off position and then back to
          the parking lamp or headlamp
          position.
          To keep the lamps on for more than
          10 minutes, the ignition must be on
          or in ACC/ACCESSORY.
          Only the accessory power outlet in the Frunk remains active after the 10 minute timeout (that's why that is where a battery maintainer is plugged in).

Comment

Originally posted by Zymurgy View Post
            Only the accessory power outlet in the Frunk remains active after the 10 minute timeout (that's why that is where a battery maintainer is plugged in).
            Ahh so if I want to charge something (ie my phone/tablet or something else) when I'm out and about, and my car is parked, I can do it from there, and it will charge the entire time? Good to know... Most of my cars in the past always cut power to the cigarette lighter when turned off. The few that left it on, I loved it.
            Delivered 6/30/21: The Red Demon 2021 3LT Red Mist HTC.
            Jet Black Interior w/Red Stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors. Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
            AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Engine Vents, Mirror Caps, Front Grill Inserts, and Door Boomerangs.

Comment

Someone else posted this last week and no takers, so as it fits here I will re-post…

Has YOUR C8 coupe been scratched as a result of someone leaning over to better see your motor? Or is that a prevalent but urban legend?

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I put the hatch up at shows and the lights go off after 10/15 minutes. I've been keeping an eye on the lights under the hatch and down in the trunk area to make sure they go off after the Infotainment OTA update killed my battery..

Comment

Not only do the lights go out in 10 minutes, but they're LEDs so draw very little current even when on.
                  Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Just remember, if you open a door the timer starts over and will take another 10 minutes.
                    1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
                    2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

An urban legend? Twice this question has been asked and yet we have not had one MECF person state that their own C8 coupe was scratched because someone was leaning over, trying to better see their motors, e.g., was leaning a over their fender, their rear fascia, or their spoiler/wing.

Still to me simply a urban legend until we get proof. And if with 24,000 coupes, if one person so states that their fender got scratched, is that proof or one anecdotal generalization, i.e., I have seen people lean over the fenders of HTC’s also to better see the beautiful rear of those cars. Were they ever scratched as a consequence.

MayI be blunt please? Is this a myth (at least so far), being promulgated by HTC owners who are trying to make themselves feel better about their not being able to see their own motor? Answer: HTC owners you have different and multiple advantages and “beauties” of your having a HTC — for HTC’s are beyond spectacular and beyond wonderful in their own right.
                      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                        An urban legend? Twice this question has been asked and yet we have not had one MECF person state that their own C8 coupe was scratched because someone was leaning over, trying to better see their motors, e.g., was leaning a over their fender, their rear fascia, or their spoiler/wing.

Still to me simply a urban legend until we get proof. And if with 24,000 coupes, if one person so states that their fender got scratched, is that proof or one anecdotal generalization, i.e., I have seen people lean over the fenders of HTC’s also to better see the beautiful rear of those cars. Were they ever scratched as a consequence.

MayI be blunt please? Is this a myth (at least so far), being promulgated by HTC owners who are trying to make themselves feel better about their not being able to see their own motor? Answer: HTC owners you have different and multiple advantages and “beauties” of your having a HTC — for HTC’s are beyond spectacular and beyond wonderful in their own right.
                        No scratches on mine from people leaning over to see the engine. I have not even seen anyone leaning over it. I have had people approach and gladly popped the hatch so they can see into the engine bay.
                        2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue, Sky Cool Gray, 2LT, Z51, GT2 Seats, FE4 mag ride, nose lift, performance exhaust, carbon flash wheels. Loving it!

Comment

That’s a good idea for I am heading to a car show this Saturday.

Comment

When I have been out for a while, I always raise rear hatch for cooling on return. Nothing happens, Trunk lights go out

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X