MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Official Announcement of The C8’s 7.18.19 Reveal; Video of The C8’s Ride; C7 Production Ending This Year

2 of 3 < >

MidEngineCorvetteForum Traveling “Forum Flag” Program Created!

We just created our MECF traveling Forum Flag Program thanks to “Ripper!” Would YOU like to display our forum flag on your Corvette, become a member of this program? Thanks for looking at the thread, especially at FVS’ created Forum Flag.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...rogram-created
3 of 3 < >

C8 Section Re-Organization, With Our New “Mid Engine Exterior/Interior Pictures, Videos and Renderings” Section

MECF members asked for our segregating pictures, renderings and videos into one area; looking ahead, that section will become our most viewed area once you get your C8’s. Pre-existing threads that fit are now being moved. Thank you for the suggestion!
See more
See less

Z06 ME To Have This?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koenigsegg is cutting edge, beyond smart and top quality craftspersons. GM’s brilliance is creating for fractional cost of not just Koenigsegg but also fractions of the cost of the mid tier exotic OEMS, yet a super sports car that performs in that same realm.

Tadge et all dream of being able to develop a finished Corvette at a cost of $300,000, let alone 5 to 10 times that.

Good point meyerweb.
    So many questions about the ME right now, but the answers are nicely, though slowly, coming out.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Personally, I love my Grand Sport. It is nicer than anything I ever thought I could own. I love the looks of it, the smell of it, and the performance of it. I think Chevy does an awesome job creating a car of this performance at this price. If I can afford the C8 I’ll get one. I don’t care what plane crank it has. I’ve always been a Chevy guy, not sure I want my Corvette to sound like a Ferrari. If it does, I’m sure I’ll love it too.
      I wonder how development costs compare between a Corvette and a Koenigsegg....it’s obvious those costs are recouped in different ways.
      The least we can do is wave to each other

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

The current C7.R racecars don't use the same engine as the production car. No reason to think the C8.R will, either.

The C7-R seems to use "essentially" the same engine, they had to reduce the horse power output. Same Badic Engine however :

1. Therefore , whatever is being tested in the C8R will end up in the C8 production car.
        2. That thing sounds like a FPC in the night test C8R video.
        3. DonSherman Says "flat Plane Crank.
        Three pieces of evidence.

Furthermore, the production car that is the basis of the C*R race car must be released and marketed before the race car may be raced with the "whatever " engine.. Therefore the flat plane crank production ar will be released "sooner than later", if they are to race it and sold before before the race it.. It being whatever engine is in the C8R.

Scott KoleckiSCOTT KOLECKI JANUARY 4, 2018
        Pratt & Miller

The Corvette C7.R was conceived, designed and constructed by Pratt & Miller Engineering based on the C7 Corvette Stingray developed by Chevrolet.

Based in New Hudson, Michigan, with an additional engineering division located in North Carolina, Pratt & Miller partnered with Chevrolet to develop the Corvette Racing program in 1999. The company, which was founded a decade earlier by Gary Pratt and Jim Miller in 1989, had already developed an incredible reputation for building high-performance cars for both the race track and all-terrain racing. Working together with Chevrolet, Pratt & Miller have developed purpose-built Corvette race cars since 1999, and have become recognized for building some of the winning-est race-edition Corvettes in recent history. The 2016 C7.R at the starting grid of the Petit Le Mans in Braselton, Georgia.
        The C7.R Corvette was developed in 2013 as a replacement for the out-going C6.R Corvette race car, whose retirement from racing mirrored the end of its commercial counterpart’s production run at the end of the 2013 model year. Interestingly, while the 2014 C7 Corvette is an almost entirely new production vehicle, early variants of the C7.R Corvette actually incorporated properties of the outgoing C6.R. That is not to say that the C7.R is the evolution of the C6.R, exactly, but rather that “lessons learned” while racing the older car were utilized in development of the newest racer.

As Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan descibes it, the C7.R benefited from “cascade engineering.” Says Fehan, “You build a great road car, homologate it and make a great race car. You learn things in that race car, and it gets moved into the next-generation road car and then you homologate that (for racing). Look at the progression from C6, C6.R, Z06, ZR-1 and now C7, C7 Z06 and (the) C7.R. In each of those model years, production-wide, you saw more and more racing content.” Under The Hood

The 5.5 liter engine of the Corvette C7.R produces 491 horsepower at 6,000 RPM.
        At the core of the C7.R Corvette is a direct carry-over from its predecessor – the same 5.5 liter engine that was developed during the C6.R’s successful tenure in both the American Le Mans series and at The 24 Hours of Le Mans. Sure, Chevrolet had developed a 630 horsepower, supercharged LT4 small-block V8 engine for the Z06 Corvette (the production variant upon which the C7.R presently shares the most DNA), but racing rules require that the engine architecture must be de-bored and de-stroked to 5.5 liters to be eligible for competition. Nobody, not the engineers at Pratt & Miller and Chevrolet, nor Doug Fehan felt that the time and expense to re-work the new LT4 engine made any economic sense when they already had a proven winner with the current 5.5-liter engine platform.

From Wikipedia:
        24 Heures Le Mans 2016 (27190307204).jpg
        WeatherTech SportsCar GTLM
        24 Hours of Le Mans LMGTE Pro
        United StatesChevrolet / Pratt & Miller Engineering
        Tadge Juechter
        Chevrolet Corvette C6.R
        Aluminium monocoque
        Short/long arm double wishbone, fabricated steel upper and lower control arms, coil over adjustable shock absorbers
        As front
        4,496 mm (177 in)
        2,050 mm (81 in)
        1,151 mm (45 in)
        2,708 mm (107 in)
        Chevrolet Corvette LT5.5 5.5 L(336 cu in) V8 90° naturally aspirated, front engined, longitudinally mounted
        Xtrac 6-speed semi-automaticgearbox
        491 hp (366 kW) @ 6000 RPM
        1,110 kg (2,447 lb) (excluding driver, fluids and fuel)
        1,245 kg (2,745 lb) (including driver, fluids and fuel)
        VP Racing Fuels Ethanol C85 E85 (2014-2015) later MS100 E20 (2016-present) (WeatherTech SportsCar Championship)
        Esso Ethanol E10 (24 Hours of Le Mans)
        Mobil 1, Motul and Valvoline
        Michelin
        BBS forged magnesium wheels
        United StatesCorvette Racing
        FranceLarbre Compétition
        Last edited by SheepDog; 03-14-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

The C7.R uses a 5.5 liter "LT5" engine. Related to, but not the same as the 6.2 Liter LT1. Just as a smaller displacement flat plane crank engine could be related to, but not the same as, the LT2 engine expected for the C8. There has been some speculation Chevy could even race a version of the ME with a twin-turbo V6, similar to what's in the Ford GT. I find that unlikely, but the rules would allow it.

As for having to have the C8 on the market first, exceptions to that rule are allowed, and have been granted in the past.
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >31,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

i doubt that chevy will risk a FPC in the C8. the engineering challenges appear to be significant, especially for larger displacements. since the performance models will be charged of some sort, it is not necessary to rev into the 8000 rpm range. most boosted cars perform best when shifting around the peak torque range. at Spring Mountain, chevy recommended shifting the Z06 at 5500. this was to keep engine temps down, yet the instructors claimed it was just as fast short shifting.

if the C8 were a smaller, lighter car, a small displacement FPC engine in the 4L range might make sense, but i don't think they are planning a Lotus size car for the masses.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
            Working...
            X