New C8 Wheels Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New C8 Wheels Coming

Harlan, who is also the Marketing Manager for Camaro, eventually got 21 different wheels for this generation. And as he and Tadge are quoted below, we will have more C8 wheels coming — for sure with the 2023 Z06 but more, new wheels for the Stingray too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	81EDD626-69A0-4E5D-B3E6-6F2EE46ACB51.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	110.7 KB ID:	289952

Here’s a good article on this, and why we have two five spoke basic designs for the current C8 Stingrays.

Originally posted by gma
    Here’s Why The C8 Corvette Stingray Currently Offers Only Two Wheel Desig

As of this writing, six wheel options are available for the 2021 Corvette Stingray, with diameters of 19 inches for the front and 20 inches for the rear, all of which are found on the Chevrolet configurator. Taking a closer look at the Stingray wheel choices reveals that they appear to be very similar. That’s because there are actually are two basic wheel designs, both of them featuring five spokes and both being available with three finishes.
    Q8P Bright Silver paintedQEQ Carbon Flash-painted with machined edge5DG Performance PewterQES Machined-face and Sterling Silver-paintedQET Machined-face and Spectra Gray-painted5DF Black painted

For a car like the Corvette C8, this seems a little unambitious. GM Authority executive editor Alex Luft recently asked Chevy Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter to explain why this is the case.

“The five-spoke design is a very natural [wheel] design, since it’s where the load goes,” Juechter replied. “That’s what the wheel does – it takes the load from the hub and distributes it. So then it becomes a question of where you want to anchor it.”

“If you look at the long course of history, you’ll see the five-spoke wheels keep kind of coming back. You’ll see variations, like sometimes we hide it, you’ll see other spokes that are not so much load-bearing, but if we took those out, it’s back to a five-spoke,” Juechter continued. “And if you really think about the people that have to design wheels for a living – what wheel design hasn’t been done? It’s really hard to design something that’s new that doesn’t have a bunch of wasted aluminum on it.”

Chevy Corvette marketing director Harlan Charles, who was also present during the interview, chimed in. “Towards the end of the seventh generation [Corvette], we started bringing in more wheels. In the beginning, it was kind of like now [for the C8 Stingray]: we basically had two designs and little by little we started adding variants.”

All of this specifically applies to the Chevy Corvette Stingray, which is the only C8 variant currently on sale. In the next few years, the range is expected to expand with the Corvette C8 Z06, C8 E-Ray, C8 ZR1 and the range-topping Corvette C8 Zora, whose hybrid powertrain is expected to have a combined power output of around 1,000 horsepower. These new variants will likely expand the number of wheel and tire choices offered in the Corvette C8 range, which should – in turn – lead to new wheel designs, for technical as well as aesthetic reasons. As GM Authorityreported back in 2020, the C8 Z06 is expected to be offered with a set of carbon fiber wheels that will feature a deep spoke design.

Juechter concluded: “It’s a lot to manage, since you have different finishes, and if you have different suspensions, different tires – just think of all the different combinations of tires, and they’re staggered front to rear, unlike many other cars that have the same wheel size front to rear. For [Corvette], everything is custom, so take all the different combinations and multiply them by how many models we have and you can see how it can get complex.”

The 2021 Corvette is built exclusively at the GM Bowling Green plant in Kentucky. The Corvette Stingray is powered exclusively by the naturally aspirated 6.2L V8 LT2 engine, which makes 490 horsepower and 465 pound-feet of torque as standard, or 495 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque if fitted with the optional Performance Exhaust.

The 2022 Corvette will receive a few minor changes and updates, including the addition of an IMSA GTLM Championship Edition, mild tweaks to the LT2 engine and the deletion of one of the six current wheel choices, the 5-open-spoke Performance Pewter-painted aluminum wheel set which carries the RPO code 5DG.
    https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/07...wheel-designs/

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Sure hope the people who designed the current selection of wheels don't get the chance to design the new ones. The only thing on the C8 that is subpar is the wheel design.

Comment

Hope they add a variety of Polished Wheels and no more Painted and Black Wheels
      [Current Corvette 1999 C5 Z51 Magnetic Red Coupe]
      Depost 6/17/20, Allocation 4/20/21 RedMist 2LT HTC Z51 - TPW-8/2

Comment

This a wheel thread so I'll throw in my 2 cents. As a baby boomer I hate the black wheels! I have seen black compared to taxi or cop cars and I couldn't agree more. Now, as far as design I would be happy to see some different options. Obviously there are many people that like the black wheels so I don't see them going away but in my opinion they take away from the overall look of the car and in some colors actually make the car look clunky.
        No worries I have my flame jacket on so fire away! lol
        2021 ELB, 2LT, Red Interior, Red Calipers, Standard Wheels, Front Lift, NPP,
        MM Deposit Dec. 15, 2020
        May 15, 21 2000
        May 18, 21 3000

Comment

To Plentyfast: And black wheels are bad why? We all need choices and have different tastes.

Comment

Judging from demand, unattractive wheels are not an obstacle to sales.
            Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

I would like to see classic, clean and simple 5 point star wheels like the ones Chromadora used to make

Click image for larger version

Name:	WH018_1__51454__03676.1551402845.JPG?c=2.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	289983
              Last edited by Milliwatt Rob; 07-17-2021, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Chrome for me

Comment

I liked them so much I bought a 2nd take off set for my AS tires. Kind of Ferrari type style.

Comment

The title of this thread, I'm afraid, is a little misleading. I think what Harlan and Tadge are really saying is that the Z06 will have a new wheel style(s), and maybe so will the E-Ray, and the ZR-1.....

Not that there will be new wheel styles for the Stingray. If you want different wheels on a Stingray, better shop aftermarket.

FWIW, I actually like the split 5 spoke wheels fine. I'm not crazy about the finish choices, so I'm thinking about getting mine powder coated, but I like the design. Up close, the details are very nice. MHO.
                    Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

They are now being wise to open up different options for wheels. Perhaps the realization they are losing out on the thousands of $$$$ people are investing in the aftermarket wheels is a wakeup call. Losing out on even a extra grand profit per vehicle on wheels has to hurt just thinking about it. Obviously they cannot please everyone as we all have our preference. Opening up more options will surely help their bottom line though as long as they make sure there are no manufacturing problems associated with them.

I'll always opt in for polished and clear coated wheels for ease of maintenance and ability to fix any problems with them easily.

Name:	IMG_1095.JPG
Views:	861
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	289995
                      Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

Hope everybody gets pleased , with "options".r.

I've come to appreciate the 5 spoke silver, not love at first sight. But the 59K$ base was love at first sight and eternal. Lots of after market options available. But I cuddle with my 5 spoke silver. Well behaved. Easy to clean. Pretty enough. Thanks GM.

Last edited by SheepDog; 07-17-2021, 01:16 PM.

Comment

71 yrs old, at first I did not like black wheels, now that is my first choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Bob View Post
                            This a wheel thread so I'll throw in my 2 cents. As a baby boomer I hate the black wheels! I have seen black compared to taxi or cop cars and I couldn't agree more. Now, as far as design I would be happy to see some different options. Obviously there are many people that like the black wheels so I don't see them going away but in my opinion they take away from the overall look of the car and in some colors actually make the car look clunky.
                            No worries I have my flame jacket on so fire away! lol
                            I'm with you. Putting black wheels on a Corvette is like putting raccoon make-up on Heidi Klum. Steampunk.

I still think the sharpest wheel to ever roll on a Corvette was introduced with the C6 Z06. I just wish they would bring this one back in sliver or chrome.

Name:	C6 Z06 Wheels.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	290033

Comment

I'm ok with the factory wheels, but would have preferred a clear coated natural brushed finish instead of silver paint as the base wheel. I would have bought the carbon flash wheels if they had more "flash" so more light danced off them. Except close-up , they look too close to a basic black wheels.
                              2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X