4 Instead Of 3 Z06 Versions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Instead Of 3 Z06 Versions?

Most of us have thought that just like the C7 Z06, there will be three C8 Z06 variations. However I noted a while back that the Corvette team would love to build an equivalent of the Viper ACR, though in this case it would be a Corvette Z06X or a Z06.R. This belief goes back to the C6 days when a very top member of the Corvette team (still there today) supported that “we would love to do a track version but…”. The “but” was economics. Just recently we heard another top member of the Corvette team discuss that the amount of Corvette owners who are regularly track their cars is a relatively small number.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A49F5699-0DC1-407C-9505-6B7A65CC48BE.jpeg
Views:	6308
Size:	524.0 KB
ID:	289666

The C7 Z06 came in an entry, a middle and and Z07 version. However even the Z07 was street legal, i..e, a friend of mine in his 80’s drives his Z06/Z07 almost daily around the streets of LA.

However thanks to GM Racing Manager/Leader Laura Klauser’s comment perhaps there will be a C8 Z06 track only version…. Thanks to MuscleCarsandTrucks for these key quotes from Laura

Originally posted by MC&T
    Corvette Customer Interest Is There

“I think there is, yes,” said Laura Wontrop-Klauser, General Motors Sports Car Racing Program Manager, in an interview with MC&T, when asked if she thought there’s enough customer interest for a track-only C8 Corvette variant.

Corvette C8.R GT3 Program A Priority

“I think we’ll see where the world of GT3 could take us. There might be some future opportunities that come from there, but we really need to take it step by step,” said Wontrop-Klauser. “If we try to rush into too much all at once, we’re not going to do anything right. We’re being very careful because we’re very proud of the quality of our product and we don’t wanna let that fall.”

As for a potential C8 Corvette GT3 customer car for privateer race teams, the GM racing boss had the following to say:

“We’re exploring everything. You know obviously we have a connection with Callaway Competition from the C7 program that they were doing, so we’ve been chatting with everyone and it’s quite a big program to work out. There’s a lot of parts. There’s a lot of questions that are still unanswered, and it’s just that you have to take them one by one and figure it out.”
    https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...-only-variant/

As always time will tell. What is your 2023 C8 Z06 roll out program thinking? Will it echo the “entry,” the middle and the Z07 version, or perhaps in a year or two might we see a Z06.R or something that is not street legal?

Or are you thinking that we might not have a middle Z06 version, that there will of course be different trim levels (1LZ, 2LZ and 3LZ) and many other options but might we only have an entry version and a Z07 next year?
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

I think the car Wontrop-Klauser is talking about is a customer version of the actual race car, not a higher performance variant of the street car. I could be wrong.
    Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I agree with your thinking, i.e., how many Corvette owners have the financials and the commitment to own a pure Corvette, non-street-able race version?

I know many who have the cash but with one exception they do not have purely race cars — for they have other interests or in most cases want to have a street-legal Corvette be part of their garage.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

If I could afford to live at Spring Mountain Resort first then maybe a dedicated race Corvette ala GT 3 in the garage …..🙏🥳💵💵💵💸💸💸
        2020 Stingray Triple Blue Coupe “Cindyblue”
        6000: status : R8C on August 5,2020 @10:00 🥳🍾
        2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; C2Q dual roof ; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; RCC; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards; EYK Chrome Exterior Badge package; R8C
        2014 Stingray Laguna Blue : SOLD

Comment

May you like the person in North Carolina win the lottery and move there in 2024 with your GT3 Corvette!

Comment

Quote: The C7 Z06 came in an entry, a middle and and Z07 version

I was aware of different “trim levels” and the Z07 package…..What is this middle level you speak of?
            Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Economics may interfere with the rollout if the housing bubble pops within next 2 years. The market as we all know is on fire and afterwards we all know what may happen. Hopefully we will see a reveal before the end of this year. You would think they would wish to start production of the ZO6 and E-Ray as again economics fall into play as they are more profitable than the Base Stingray. Waiting too long may put them at an economic risk once again.
              Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
                Quote: The C7 Z06 came in an entry, a middle and and Z07 version

I was aware of different “trim levels” and the Z07 package…..What is this middle level you speak of?
                There was the entry level with its small splitter, the “middle” level with its much larger aero package splitter and rockers and to which most of us then added the Z07’s center spoiler insert center wickerbill, and the Z07.

You are correct that as far as suspension and tires were concerned there was no middle version.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                  May you like the person in North Carolina win the lottery and move there in 2024 with your GT3 Corvette!
                  Brother, where would we all be without dreams…..thanks for the good wishes 🌞
                  2020 Stingray Triple Blue Coupe “Cindyblue”
                  6000: status : R8C on August 5,2020 @10:00 🥳🍾
                  2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; C2Q dual roof ; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; RCC; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards; EYK Chrome Exterior Badge package; R8C
                  2014 Stingray Laguna Blue : SOLD

Comment

We had a Viper ACR back a number of years ago. It was 'street legal' but it sure wasn't very comfortable in that environment. I'm pretty sure I'm past the time for a GT3 type C8....
                    2020 HTC Torch Red with lots of goodies. Built in September. Museum Delivered in October......

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur

Comment

Why not? Porsche does. And they run a race series with their P comp cars.

Comment

Duuuh? That's what people been saying. Not those exact terms but in the same substance. And the response on forum has been sorta 80%Naw and 20% Ok. Split decision in favor of the looser.

Call it whatever ya-please. The Z06X, Call it the Z00 if it's all Animals. But . Same thing. If they Delete the trunk. Lower the rear sight lines. Expand rearward vision. Drop a few 00 lbs. Juice the the 5.5 another few percent in more power. Tighten the "active" aero, Tune steering as desirable. Tune the suspension. Spool valve shocks, if that's an option. And do the other stuff. Street legal? The GT2RS/GT3RS, they are street legal.

Is the [phantom] Z06X contemplated to be more race car focused than GT2RS/GT3RS. Some of the supercars are more race focused. But do not seem to be setting faster track times. Not at the Ring. Sorry. until the Z06X, or the Z00, can be ordered at a dealership, then it is phantom.
                        Last edited by SheepDog; 07-16-2021, 06:34 PM.

Comment

How much will that cost. OK. Dial it back some to fit my pocket.

Comment

I couldnt think of anything less that I would be interested in.

the porche GT3 RS competitor sure. But a “track only” corvette?

hey if it makes money for the corvette brand ? great...but do I want one? No..

it is interesting that the porsche 911 gt3 comes with 503 hp ....which seems like the upcoming c8 z06 should be quite apt to surpass even with only 617 hp..

i sure hope GM produces a c8 z06 touring type model without all the boy racer wings and spats....

many buyers just want the technical goodies without the wings, spats and spoilers.

Comment

I think there's some confusion over what a track-focused car means. The GT3 class, and I think GTD, requires manufacturers to make a copy of the race car available for sale to other racing teams. Not a street legal version of the race car. If Corvette Racing complies with the rules, they'll have a race car for sale. It won't be street legal, it won't be for sale through dealers, it won't even have a VIN. It will, indeed, be a track focused version of the Z06, but not one you're going to drive to the track, drive in an HPDE or other track day, and then drive home again.
                              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X