Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: TONS OF NEWS THIS WEEK

We've been doing Corvette news & headlines podcasts on CORVETTE TODAY since September 2020. I don't remember ever doing a news & headlines podcast with this much critical information packed into one podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/show/...ppfrkBCyZstwdl. This is a "must listen" to podcast. Here are a few of the topics covered in this episode....

1. Chevrolet confirms the introduction this Fall of the 2023 C8 Z06 with a new video release-and it sounds like a Ferrari
2. Corvette dominates sales in Q2 2021
3. Chevy dealerships have received their first 2022 C8 allocations
4. Callaway looks ahead to 2022 and the Callaway C8 Corvette
5. Right-hand drive C8 is revealed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK
6. New GT-3 spec C8.R expected in 2024
7. California will start failing cars with tuned ECU’s during smog checks
8. The National Corvette Museum delivers their 14,000th Corvette
9. A couple exchanges wedding vows before taking delivery of their C8 at the NCM
10. "Life in the Fast Lane" by The Eagles is a story of cocaine and a fast Corvette
11. Sigala Designs shows off a completed widebody kit for the C8
See more
See less

What's under your C8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's under your C8?

The low points on the undersides of my non-Z51 2021 C8 are a pair of covers (?) just inboard of the downward ducts ahead of the front tires.
    The photo below is of the passenger tire viewed head-on, the downward-facing duct is in front of the tire, and the cover in question is inboard from the duct (to the right in the photo):
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0253.JPG Views:	0 Size:	503.1 KB ID:	281164

There is nothing inside the cover (on the passenger side anyway; I didn't look at the driver's side).
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0255.JPG Views:	0 Size:	501.0 KB ID:	281165

However in a Youtube video:

At 10:15 onward, the lower deflector panel (to which the cover in question would attach) is installed on a 2020 Z51 without adding the cover that is installed on my car. Clearly the panel has a recess area for such a cover as well as screw holes, but only the screws are installed.
    No cover is ever mentioned for that recess.

The GM Parts Store lists a Z51 version of the lower deflector panels (to which the covers in question would attach):
    https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-par...YtMmwtdjgtZ2Fz
    as well as a non-Z51 version:
    https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-par...YtMmwtdjgtZ2Fz
    There's no indication that there could be a cover that can be attached to those panels.

What is this cover for?
    Is the cover a 2021 and/or non-Z51 item?

While we're at it, how is that downward duct supposed to work?

Regards
    Last edited by sawdust; 06-18-2021, 08:39 PM.

I am pretty sure that that cover is just for the non- Z51, for those intake ducts are for the Z51.

That downward duct is to funnel air into the brake rotor/pad area for additional Z51 cooling.

From what you are showing us and describing, your car is properly put together as is.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by sawdust View Post
      The low points on the undersides of my non-Z51 2021 C8 are a pair of covers (?) just inboard of the downward ducts ahead of the front tires.

Clearly the panel has a recess area for such a cover as well as screw holes, but only the screws are installed. Morgan's C8 is a Z51.
      No cover is ever mentioned for that recess. The Z51 doesn't get this cover.

What is this cover for? See photo.
      Is the cover a 2021 and/or non-Z51 item?

While we're at it, how is that downward duct supposed to work?
      This is a photo from my 2020 non-Z51 and it has the same cover yours does.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum Pics-552.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	582.9 KB
ID:	281192
      1LT |Torch Red/Black | MSRP $59,995 | DOB=8/31 | Home on 9/24.
      Splash Guards, Cargo Nets, All weather Jake Floor Mats and Cargo Area Liner, and Front Grille Screens behind grilles.

Comment

Really simple and clean design ... 👍
        [Current Corvette 1999 C5 Z51 Magnetic Red Coupe]
        Depost 6/17/20, Allocation 4/20/21 RedMist 2LT HTC Z51 - TPW-8/2

Comment

My non-Z51 is the same.
          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
            So the recess is a trough or channel to direct the air on a Z51. But on a non-Z51 the designers were thorough, and installed the cover to ensure the air went where they wanted.

Perhaps the extra cost of the non-Z51 lower-deflector panel is due to that added cover?
            Since I've been scraping up those panels, eventually I'll be buying replacement lower-deflector panels, and will then find out.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
            Working...
            X