Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast With Kai Spande BGA Manager

On this episode of CORVETTE TODAY, you get to meet the Corvette Plant Manager for the Bowling Green Assembly Plant, Kai Spande!
Your host, Steve Garrett, introduces you to Kai as he traces his career with GM. Kai talks about how the Bowling Green Assembly Plant transitioned from the front engine, C7 Corvette, to the mid-engine C8 Corvette. You'll get insights on the plant expansion and how they made that all happen...giving the new C8 Corvette a true state-of-the-art build facility. Kai also tells you about the Corvettes he has owned and the funny story of how he loved Corvettes, but never thought he'd get to work for it during his tenure at GM. Get to personally know Corvette Plant Manager, Kai Spande, on this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!

Listen here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCRn-2X0SjjEXUt_...
Get CORVETTE TODAY emails: https://CorvetteToday.ck.page
CORVETTE TODAY Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2718423201763136
NEW!!! Get CORVETTE TODAY merchandise here: https://www.agpestores.com//lanmarxgraphix/grouppr...
See more
See less

Run Flats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run Flats

I'm upgrading my wheels to 20/21. The only run-flat option I can find on the 325/25/R21 is PIRELLI P ZERO RUN FLAT.

1. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the P ZEROs?

2. I could get the PILOT SPORT 4S in both 20/21 < no run-flat available in the back 21's > so that sure defeats the purpose.

3. Crazy as it sounds, I went non-run-flats on my Z4 and the ride was so much better/smoother, but the stress was a real drag!

Any insight - suggestions appreciated

FWIW: Not in that size but Pirelli tires have mixed reviews from many people. At my auto shop I will try and steer clients away from Pirelli unless they are adamant and know what they are getting in to. The main issue with them is that after about 30-50% tread life they get extremely noisy. Run Flats seem to be even noisier than standard. They don't really wear well either. If it were my car, I would go with the Michelin non-RF over Pirelli any day of the week and twice on Sunday even with the added stress of not having a RF tire. I have had similar issues with Goodyear and Sumitomo performance tires as well with noise. Michelin tires stay quiet throughout the entire wear span unless alignment or suspension issues are causing cupping/scalloping of the tires

Comment

Thanks forkauto for that precise feedback/recommendations.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Yes. Thanks so much for sharing that info, forkauto.
        I guess I should at least opt for the PILOT SPORT front pair as run-flats for 1/2 the stress!

Comment

My Porsche owning neighbor says a lot of 911 owners replace the factory Pirellis with Michelins. Some don't even wait until the OEM tires are worn out.
          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Current C7: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black overDaytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Or you could just carry a good plug kit and an air pump. I have plugged many tires myself and usually in less than 5 minutes. Have never had one leak.
            Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
              Or you could just carry a good plug kit and an air pump. I have plugged many tires myself and usually in less than 5 minutes. Have never had one leak.
              Thanks. I've never actually plugged one on the road - done a few with the wheel off at home successfully, but are you are right. I should have a good kit and pump on board.

Comment

I agree, and carry a plug kit and compressor in addition to the RF tires. I'd rather plug it and not be limited to the 50 mph / 50 mile range of an RF, and then have to replace the tire. But plugging the rear tire of a C8 without being to put the car on a jack and removing the wheel could be pretty hard. Not a lot of clearance there.
                Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Current C7: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black overDaytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

I agree, and carry a plug kit and compressor in addition to the RF tires. I'd rather plug it and not be limited to the 50 mph / 50 mile range of an RF, and then have to replace the tire. But plugging the rear tire of a C8 without being to put the car on a jack and removing the wheel could be pretty hard. Not a lot of clearance there.
                  I always carry a small spray bottle with water and dish liquid in it. I first put the compressor on the tire than spray the soapy water on the tire and it tells immediately where the hole is as it blows bubbles. Then move the car to where the hole is in a good place to easily remove the nail/screw then immediately plug - fill to proper PSI and forget it even happened.
                  Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

I always carry a small spray bottle with water and dish liquid in it. I first put the compressor on the tire than spray the soapy water on the tire and it tells immediately where the hole is as it blows bubbles. Then move the car to where the hole is in a good place to easily remove the nail/screw then immediately plug - fill to proper PSI and forget it even happened.
                    Soapy water. Something else to add to my travel kit (and to make sure I check hasn't dried up).

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Soapy water. Something else to add to my travel kit (and to make sure I check hasn't dried up).
                      I rather plug a non Run Flat But if its to get you off the highway why not? Cant patch it. If needed buy another tire. After 500 miles I did realize my HTC had Run Flats.

Comment

FWIW, Michelin is VERY adamant that puncture repairs be PATCHED only (NO plugs). The tire should come off the rim, patched internally, and re-mounted. ONE repair per tire, more than one and Michelin is concerned about losing speed rating.

Do as you will, just passing along information

PS. The above applies to ALL Michelin ultra high performance tires, run flat or not.

Comment

Another way we did these at the motorcycle shop was a small aerosol can for foot spray that came out white . Always made it easy to find where the leak was at ...
                          Last edited by Ssscooter66; 06-10-2021, 08:27 PM.
                          A thought if I might ...

Comment

Originally posted by George D. View Post

I rather plug a non Run Flat But if its to get you off the highway why not? Cant patch it. If needed buy another tire. After 500 miles I did realize my HTC had Run Flats.
                            Run flats can be patched like any other tire unless you've run it a long way with zero pressure.

Comment

On my C7, I had two sets of wheels/tires. One set was the OEM PSS Z51 tires run-flat tires. The other was a set of Michelin A/S3+ non-run-flat tires. I initially swapped back and forth between winter and summer. The ride was about the same. Initially, the A/S tires were quieter when new but eventually they sounded about the same. I eventually just left the A/S tires on all year round because the difference in performance on the street was insignificant in the summer but the A/S tires were better in cold temperatures.

I purchased a combination tire pump/slime kit and kept it in the trunk but never needed it.

My point is that I wouldn't worry too much about the non-run-flat tires. I'd go with the best tires that suit your needs first and worry about run-flat vs non-run-flat second.
                              2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X