Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: TONS OF NEWS THIS WEEK

We've been doing Corvette news & headlines podcasts on CORVETTE TODAY since September 2020. I don't remember ever doing a news & headlines podcast with this much critical information packed into one podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/show/...ppfrkBCyZstwdl. This is a "must listen" to podcast. Here are a few of the topics covered in this episode....

1. Chevrolet confirms the introduction this Fall of the 2023 C8 Z06 with a new video release-and it sounds like a Ferrari
2. Corvette dominates sales in Q2 2021
3. Chevy dealerships have received their first 2022 C8 allocations
4. Callaway looks ahead to 2022 and the Callaway C8 Corvette
5. Right-hand drive C8 is revealed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK
6. New GT-3 spec C8.R expected in 2024
7. California will start failing cars with tuned ECU’s during smog checks
8. The National Corvette Museum delivers their 14,000th Corvette
9. A couple exchanges wedding vows before taking delivery of their C8 at the NCM
10. "Life in the Fast Lane" by The Eagles is a story of cocaine and a fast Corvette
11. Sigala Designs shows off a completed widebody kit for the C8
See more
See less

Front license blasphemy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front license blasphemy

I'm a long way from taking delivery BUT I'm already stressing over a front license plate. I live in Texas where its required.😣 Talk about killin a "look". Guess i'll roll dirty till i get popped by the popo.

I live in MD, where it is required as well. But When I had my last vette, in 2000, I never put one on. In the 2 years I owned it, I got two fines, about $50 each, and a couple warnings. I still do not plan on putting on this time around, and will just pay the fine. Also with me not driving it that much, I don't expect to get to get many fines. However, if you are going to put one on, you can do what this you tuber did, WRPDRIVE". He didn't use the "Front license plate bracket". He drilled out the holes that the bracket attaches too, then bent his front license plate, so it conforms to his from of the car. Looks alot better then the standard frame.
    Attached Files
    Delivered 6/30/21: The Red Demon 2021 3LT Red Mist HTC.
    Jet Black Interior w/Red Stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors. Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
    AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Engine Vents, Mirror Caps, Front Grill Inserts, and Door Boomerangs.

Comment

There are many options to consider for front plate mounting - magnetic mounts, StoNGo types, tow hook mounts, etc., that allow you to be legal but remove it for show and special occasions. It would have been nice for GM to do a recessed mount that would allow you to cover the front plate an look exactly like the “unblemished” C8 front end. Just a thought.

Comment

I'm not mounting a plate either. Trucks in my state don't have to show a rear plate, don't know why, but none of the alternative mounts suit me. So I'll play the odds unless or until it starts to cost me money. Dealer never installed the front plate mount on our DD either, so far so good with it too.

Comment

Never once had one, and I live in Illionis ...

In addition, I have a Tiger Shark Front Fascia on my C5 so not exactly trying to hide that fact.
          [Current Corvette 1999 C5 Z51 Magnetic Red Coupe]
          Depost 6/17/20, Allocation 4/20/21 RedMist 2LT HTC Z51 - TPW-8/2

Comment

Bought my first vette in 2004, 5 vettes later I've never had a front plate mounted. Just rolling the dice in NY/NJ.

Comment

I have friends who ran LP naked on the front of their Corvettes until they got beyond the warning stage and got ticketed for not having them on.

Comment

My salesmen said that if he ever saw a front plate on my car he’d personally rip it off! I live in a “front plate” required state. Never had one on my C6.

Comment

Florida doesn't require....Another Plus for FLA

Comment

I don't know what the front license bracket for a C8 looks like, but on the C7 the supplied bracket stood higher than the grille and looked goofy; probably had to match state plate height requirements. But they also supplied a form fitting in-grille bracket with a Corvette logo that could double as a license bracket. I trimmed it to be as small as practically possible and bent the front plate to match the V of the grille. Works fine for me. I realize lots of folks in Illinois and other front plate states take a chance without having one, but I subscribe to the Murphy's Law theory and always assume that if I don't have one and am pulled over, it will only be after I have had a few beers. So I keep a front plate on mine. Also, around Chicago, if one parks downtown or at O'Hare airport you almost always will get a ticket. The city really, really wants your money.--Bob

Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontPlate.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	277972
                    2016 Z06 Long Beach Red #10281 "POPS Z"
                    -Kalahari, 2LZ, Auto, chrome wheels
                    1995 ZR-1 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN" --Haibeck 350/510hp package, Sold but still running strong
                    1993 ZR-1 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING" --Sold but still running strong
                    1967 Corvette Coupe --Marlboro Maroon/Saddle 300 HP 4 Speed, Sold in 1977
                    ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
                    Member of Original ZR-1 Registry
                    NCM Lifetime Member
                    Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
                    "Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Comment

Its not that bad if you use the factory recessed area and put a tinted cover over it. Its angled towards the ground so you hardly notice it.

Name:	front left angle.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	277979

Comment

Originally posted by Vitamin C8 View Post
                        Its not that bad if you use the factory recessed area and put a tinted cover over it. Its angled towards the ground so you hardly notice it.

Name:	front left angle.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	277979
                        If that is the factory front plate bracket, it is much better than the one supplied for C7s. I don't think a tinted color cover would technically be legal in Illinois, but if they can easily read the plate through it then it would probably be fine. --Bob
                        2016 Z06 Long Beach Red #10281 "POPS Z"
                        -Kalahari, 2LZ, Auto, chrome wheels
                        1995 ZR-1 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN" --Haibeck 350/510hp package, Sold but still running strong
                        1993 ZR-1 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING" --Sold but still running strong
                        1967 Corvette Coupe --Marlboro Maroon/Saddle 300 HP 4 Speed, Sold in 1977
                        ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
                        Member of Original ZR-1 Registry
                        NCM Lifetime Member
                        Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
                        "Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Comment

Yes, I have been running "dirty" here in Ohio with my C5 Z06 for 17 years, and have never once been stopped for no front plate. Did the same with my Type R. Finally, they passed and signed a law dropping the font plate requirement as of this July......

A front plate on the C5 would not look bad at all though. Heck, there is a body-colored blank in the spot for the front plate, so the indention for a plate is already there. I do have front plates on my truck (don't want to push things too far!)
                          2LT z51 coupe, Red Mist, mag ride, front lift, NCM delivery, etc.
                          Ordered 7/11/20, 2000= 3/18/21, 3000=3/24/21, TPW=7/5/21, Built=7/8/21, NCM delivery=7/22/21

2004 Z06, machine silver
                          2016 Ducati xDiavel S, black
                          2016 Can Am Spyder F-3, pearl white

Comment

I have the bracket still sitting in my trunk. I was told that if the recipient of the car lived in a place that required front plates, the mounting hardware would be included.

Comment

I am in California and I don't like paying extra on every renewal, so I am torn between chancing it like I do with the Camaro and getting the black stick-on plate like so: https://licenseplatewrap.com/ (supposedly legal).

Edit: I wonder whether the stick-on plate would fit under the aero cover, so if I get popped I can pretend I forgot to take it off after the last car show...
                              Last edited by triggerhappylombax; 06-08-2021, 12:15 PM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X