Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: TONS OF NEWS THIS WEEK

We've been doing Corvette news & headlines podcasts on CORVETTE TODAY since September 2020. I don't remember ever doing a news & headlines podcast with this much critical information packed into one podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/show/...ppfrkBCyZstwdl. This is a "must listen" to podcast. Here are a few of the topics covered in this episode....

1. Chevrolet confirms the introduction this Fall of the 2023 C8 Z06 with a new video release-and it sounds like a Ferrari
2. Corvette dominates sales in Q2 2021
3. Chevy dealerships have received their first 2022 C8 allocations
4. Callaway looks ahead to 2022 and the Callaway C8 Corvette
5. Right-hand drive C8 is revealed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK
6. New GT-3 spec C8.R expected in 2024
7. California will start failing cars with tuned ECU’s during smog checks
8. The National Corvette Museum delivers their 14,000th Corvette
9. A couple exchanges wedding vows before taking delivery of their C8 at the NCM
10. "Life in the Fast Lane" by The Eagles is a story of cocaine and a fast Corvette
11. Sigala Designs shows off a completed widebody kit for the C8
See more
See less

1/2 qt. of trans fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2 qt. of trans fluid

OK so I am due for my 7500 mile 1st oil change and trans filter. Watched the youtube video on the trans filter change and it raised a question . I see the tech pumping a 1/2 qt. of fluid into the trans and wondered why they couldn't pump in the 2 extra quarts instead of all of the work removing the trunk and air filter housing. Anyone know why this can't be done that way.

That is a very good question. Not knowing but wildly guessing, is it because there is a overfill drain hole in a different place than where you add the two quarts. [Even now that I typed that, that does not make any sense to me…]
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

The approximate 1/2 qt accounts for the fluid lost during the filter removal. This fluid is added through the side fill port on the DCT.

Adding in the 2 quarts involves the "minor surgery" of removing the trunk and airbox, as this fluid is added through the top fill port on the DCT.
      My C8:
      '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
      '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
      '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
      '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

On the free oil, filter and trans filter change I have not see or hurt of any dealer adding 1/2 quart of trans oil. I have also not any proof that they are required to. If GM were requiring the dealer to do so I would like to see written proof so when it is time for me I will not have any dispute with the dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
          That is a very good question. Not knowing but wildly guessing, is it because there is a overfill drain hole in a different place than where you add the two quarts. [Even now that I typed that, that does not make any sense to me…]
          That is exactly right. The normal fill location is on the side of the DCT, and you add fluid until it's at the edge of the hole (or until just a little bit dribbles out). If you tried to add the extra 2 quarts there, it would just run out the hole.

The orange arrow points to the normal fill location on the side. Ignore the yellow arrow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=111059&amp;d=1581269180.jpg Views:	34 Size:	532.8 KB ID:	276617

When asked why the don't just add the extra 2 quarts to all of them, or at least all the Z51s, Tadge said the production line at Tremec isn't set up to be able to use the top fill plug, nor to fill some units with more fluid than others. My guess is that as the DCT comes down the line, fluid is injected into the side fill port.
          Last edited by meyerweb; 06-03-2021, 04:09 PM.
          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I’ve seen posts where people have added the 2 quarts through the bottom port. Jacking one side of the car up in the air enough to allow the two quarts to be easily filled, I believe I’ve also seen a few people replace the drain with a 1 way valve setup that allows fluid to be pumped into the housing.

Comment

Originally posted by Srobert910 View Post
              I’ve seen posts where people have added the 2 quarts through the bottom port. Jacking one side of the car up in the air enough to allow the two quarts to be easily filled, I believe I’ve also seen a few people replace the drain with a 1 way valve setup that allows fluid to be pumped into the housing.
              Yes, those work-arounds are possible, and there's a thread on the forum about how to do it. But following the GM service manual, you can't add the extra 2 quarts through the side fill, and dealers are mostly going to follow the book. If something goes wrong, they aren't going to be liable for not following GM's instructions.
              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

The orange arrow points to the normal fill location on the side. The yellow arrow to the top fill plug where you can add the extra 2 quarts.
                NO!! The yellow arrow in the picture on POST # 5 points to something that, if removed, will ruin the DCT. The correct fill point is in the picture below on the other side of the top of the DCT. It is a "Gold" color.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum Pics-393A.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	276644
                1LT |Torch Red/Black | MSRP $59,995 | DOB=8/31 | Home on 9/24.
                Splash Guards, Cargo Nets, All weather Jake Floor Mats and Cargo Area Liner, and Front Grille Screens behind grilles.

Comment

Originally posted by 2020Colorado View Post

NO!! The yellow arrow in the picture on POST # 5 points to something that, if removed, will ruin the DCT. The correct fill point is in the picture below on the other side of the top of the DCT. It is a "Gold" color.
                  Thanks. Corrected my post.

Comment

Originally posted by 5632 View Post
                    On the free oil, filter and trans filter change I have not see or hurt of any dealer adding 1/2 quart of trans oil. I have also not any proof that they are required to. If GM were requiring the dealer to do so I would like to see written proof so when it is time for me I will not have any dispute with the dealer.
                    It's on a youtube video just published showing the dealer adding 1/2 quart trans. fluid during the 1st oil service. It's the rick guy

Comment

Another question is , is the filter housing designed so that it would only let out the 1/2 qt. when changing the filter. Even if the system has the extra 2 qts. in it.

Comment

Originally posted by jagtoes View Post
                        Another question is , is the filter housing designed so that it would only let out the 1/2 qt. when changing the filter. Even if the system has the extra 2 qts. in it.
                        I believe so. On one site or another, someone posted that their dealer told them that because they had added the extra 2 quarts, the dealer would have to use the top plug to add the extra 0.2 liters (6.6 oz - not half a quart). They apparently said nothing about needing to add the 2 quarts again.

Here's a capture from a GM document. I think it's just the fluid in the filter housing that is lost.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dct_2_146a0e2991bd323f842ff756781deca1d9699b26_png_a9e545966e7ec210b6b2c5dbeef04222cbae3889.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.0 KB ID:	276744I think that if I had the extra 2 quarts, I wouldn't worry about disassembling the airbox to access the top fill plug to add only 6 oz. You' still got 58 extra oz in there (vs. 64).

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Yes, those work-arounds are possible, and there's a thread on the forum about how to do it. But following the GM service manual, you can't add the extra 2 quarts through the side fill, and dealers are mostly going to follow the book. If something goes wrong, they aren't going to be liable for not following GM's instructions.
                          I was able to use a ramp to part my vette on its side. This way I could fill the 2 qts through the drain plug. Worked perfectly. See picture.

Name:	26633944-26633944.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	276780
                          Attached Files
                          Delivered 6/30/21: The Red Demon 2021 3LT Red Mist HTC.
                          Jet Black Interior w/Red Stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors. Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
                          AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Engine Vents, Mirror Caps, Front Grill Inserts, and Door Boomerangs.

Comment

That works ???

Comment

Originally posted by buypeaksselldips View Post

i was able to use a ramp to part my vette on its side. This way i could fill the 2 qts through the drain plug. Worked perfectly. See picture.

Name:	26633944-26633944.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	276780
                              lol.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X