Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: TONS OF NEWS THIS WEEK

We've been doing Corvette news & headlines podcasts on CORVETTE TODAY since September 2020. I don't remember ever doing a news & headlines podcast with this much critical information packed into one podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/show/...ppfrkBCyZstwdl. This is a "must listen" to podcast. Here are a few of the topics covered in this episode....

1. Chevrolet confirms the introduction this Fall of the 2023 C8 Z06 with a new video release-and it sounds like a Ferrari
2. Corvette dominates sales in Q2 2021
3. Chevy dealerships have received their first 2022 C8 allocations
4. Callaway looks ahead to 2022 and the Callaway C8 Corvette
5. Right-hand drive C8 is revealed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK
6. New GT-3 spec C8.R expected in 2024
7. California will start failing cars with tuned ECU’s during smog checks
8. The National Corvette Museum delivers their 14,000th Corvette
9. A couple exchanges wedding vows before taking delivery of their C8 at the NCM
10. "Life in the Fast Lane" by The Eagles is a story of cocaine and a fast Corvette
11. Sigala Designs shows off a completed widebody kit for the C8
See more
See less

Owner's Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owner's Manual

I belong to a number of FB groups for Corvette owners, and am often frustrated by how often the same questions are asked over and over again. Ones that can be answered by simply reading the owner's manual. The question that finally broke the camel's back (for me) was someone complaining that GM didn't invent a simple way to turn the radio off and the DIC off. (Really? it's only page 2 of the introduction in the infotainment system manual).

Thank goodness I found this forum before I joined any of the FB groups and found knowledgeable, helpful Corvette owners.

Anyway, I was curious to see if I was truly expecting too much, or if there are others out there like me. I downloaded the manual and read it before I even took delivery of my car.
    I read the manual cover to cover.
    69.09%
    I read the manual when I need to find an answer (or search the forum before asking).
    30.91%
    I don't bother looking anything up, I just post my questions on the forum.
    0%
    Where is the manual located?
    0%
    HTC Ceramic Matrix Gray/Morello Red
    Deposit: 7/29/19; Allocation-3000: 3/12/20; TPW: 10/26/20, 10/19/20, back to 10/26/20; now 11/9/20; 3300:10/20/20; 3400:11/2/20; 3800: 11/16/20; 4150: 11/17/20; 5000: 11/19/20; 6000: 11/25.

Manuel ... Manuel ... who needs Stinking Manual, he’s in the Glove Box
    [Current Corvette 1999 C5 Z51 Magnetic Red Coupe]
    Depost 6/17/20, Allocation 4/20/21 RedMist 2LT HTC Z51 - TPW-8/2

Comment

The C8 comes with a DCT, not a manual.

But to answer the question, I didn't read the entire manual cover to cover, because I already know how to use a seat belt and start the car, I don't care about using a child seat, and a bunch of the manual is just legal department boilerplate.

But of the important stuff, I read most of it twice before I got me car. And still had to look in the manual while sitting in the car today to set things up.

But no one should be surprised that many people don't read the manual. Americans (and maybe people everywhere) have a long history of failing to read the instructions.
      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
        The C8 comes with a DCT, not a manual.

But no one should be surprised that many people don't read the manual. Americans (and maybe people everywhere) have a long history of failing to read the instructions.
        True story: many years ago during one summer while at college I helped a classmate who was working for a pool builder, that installed vinyl lined built in pools. The vinyl liners came in a large box. On the end flap of the box it said "When all else fails, read the directions."

Deposit: 7/29/19; Allocation-3000: 3/12/20; TPW: 10/26/20, 10/19/20, back to 10/26/20; now 11/9/20; 3300:10/20/20; 3400:11/2/20; 3800: 11/16/20; 4150: 11/17/20; 5000: 11/19/20; 6000: 11/25.

Comment

Originally posted by Plentyfast View Post
          Manuel ... Manuel ... who needs Stinking Manual, he’s in the Glove Box
          Fawlty Towers reference?

Comment

I haven't got my car yet, but I have read the manual several times and every time I see questions on this forum, I research it again. My memory is not what it used to be. It's closer to what my wife has always thought it was.

3lt Torch red HTC MRC Front lift dipped natural.
            Last edited by kcclark66204; 05-31-2021, 08:22 PM.
            Torch Red 2022 3LT HTC Mag Control Front Lift Natural Dipped

Comment

I skimmed or skipped the parts that only a Legal Department would have added, and those any driver already understands. But I read and often reread sections that were specific to the C8, all before taking delivery in December of 2020. I still use it as a reference and tabbed some of the more unusual items so I can find them quickly. I’m sure some owners find it easier to post a question than pull out their manual, but I don’t feel obligated to answer a question easily found in the manual or previously answered in the forum.

Comment

Discovered this the other day on page 206 of the 2020 manual.

"Overfilling the fuel tank by more than three clicks of a standard fill nozzle may cause: . Vehicle performance issues, including engine stalling and damage to the fuel system. . Fuel spills. . Under certain conditions, fuel fires."

Didn't think to check my OM for fueling instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed L View Post
                  I don’t feel obligated to answer a question easily found in the manual or previously answered in the forum.
                  No obligation at all. Lots in that manual!

Comment

Originally posted by KLZ View Post
                    I belong to a number of FB groups for Corvette owners, and am often frustrated by how often the same questions are asked over and over again. Ones that can be answered by simply reading the owner's manual. The question that finally broke the camel's back (for me) was someone complaining that GM didn't invent a simple way to turn the radio off and the DIC off. (Really? it's only page 2 of the introduction in the infotainment system manual).

Thank goodness I found this forum before I joined any of the FB groups and found knowledgeable, helpful Corvette owners.

Anyway, I was curious to see if I was truly expecting too much, or if there are others out there like me. I downloaded the manual and read it before I even took delivery of my car.
                    I have been expressing the same frustration lately, and I think it all boils to people being LAZY and don't want to spend the time doing the research. I see it all the time regarding items that could be found in the manual, or items that could get an answer from a quick Google search. I refuse to provide answers to those people, and I have been often tempted to provide bad info on those FB posts to the most heinous offenders - but I can't bring myself to do it so I just skip over them.
                    Initial deposit for 2021 Red Mist HTC 11/25/2019 @Criswell
                    2000 status 2/13/2021
                    3000 status 2/17/2021
                    3300 status 4/23/2021
                    3400 status 5/5/2021
                    3800 status 5/22/2021
                    4000 status 6/4/2021

Comment

For me, although I’ve read the manual beginning to end, skipping all the legal jargon for almost a year after initial deposit, occasionally, I would still find myself asking the Forum, not from laziness, but from sheer alacrity in responses back. I don’t mind responding to a poster if I know the answer, having said that, if I’m referencing the OM for my answer, I’ll also provide the page it’s located on. The time it takes to respond to any question on this board via the OM, is as simple as “P128 of OM”. Wow! That took like a whole 2.8 seconds 😁
                      07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 03/06/21 Status 3300 (TPW 03/22/21); 03/16/21 Status 3400; 03/22/21 Status 3800; 03/23/21 Status 4B00; 03/26/21 Status 4D00: Status 4200; 04/02/21; 04/06/21 Status 5000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

”I’m not the best in town, but I’m the best, until the best comes around“

Comment

What else am I supposed to do during the 10 month wait ? I even read all the legal boilerplate stuff on the airbags and seatbelts.

I seriously read owners manuals online long before even deciding on a car as part of the shopping process. It helps flush out some issues that may be a hassle to live with. There’s even certain features that I sometimes find I really like but aren’t mentioned anywhere in their glossy sales websites like remote roll down windows.

Comment

MidEngineCorvetteForum.com is my manual

Comment

Not defending those that never read the manual, but in all fairness these manuals are somewhat difficult to negotiate. A feature or operation is mentioned in the early pages and then you're redirected to another page which describes part of it, then redirected to yet another page to see the final answer. Personally I wish they would start including everything about a given feature or option in just one chapter. I read the whole manual, but soon discovered it was a lot easier to read the table of contents to find answers. BUT, you have to know what it's called in the manual before locating it. Then, decide which one of the several pages mentioned has what you're looking for. The manuals on performance features and the infotainment system were better. I downloaded them ahead of getting the car and that helped, Maybe it's just me, but I think the manuals could be structured a lot better. The manuals for every car are the same though, spread out too thin.

Comment

I have the manual on line so its easy for me to read. A few techs did not read about oil changes on the Z51 C7 equipped Corvettes--some were overfilled at many dealers. I learned to depend on Tech-Orders while in the military and i am sure that training causes me to read all I get about the new car.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X