Wonder why not a spider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder why not a spider

So I was wondering why GM decided to call the convertible a HTC instead of a Spider. Just curious.

It may be because spider is more of a European term and GM wanted it to be more American in nature.

Comment

Perhaps the GM folks wanted to cement the 'hard top' aspect of the new convertible. By any name, it's one heck of a GREAT RIDE!!!
      2020 HTC Torch Red with lots of goodies. Built in September. Museum Delivered in October......

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur

Comment

Originally posted by jagtoes View Post
        So I was wondering why GM decided to call the convertible a HTC instead of a Spider. Just curious.
        Because it squishes spiders.

Real question is why Europeans call their convertibles spiders.

Comment

Originally posted by MadScientist View Post

Because it squishes spiders.

Real question is why Europeans call their convertibles spiders.
          Spyder generally the more accepted spelling. Spider is mainly Italian cars, as they have no “y” in their alphabet.

Most rumors point toward the term Spyder come from a visual interpretation of cloth roofs on small carriages from the old days. An interim solution if it started raining and you wanted to protect your cargo. Makes sense since the tie down makes it look like a web!

So it would be quite a stretch to call a HTC a Spyder
          Last edited by Top Off Action; 05-29-2021, 04:05 PM.
          Coupe, 1LT, Rapid Blue, orange seat belts and black interior. ETA Late 2021.

First mods: tinted windows, orange DIY stitching, orange 12 o clock stripe on steering wheel, orange EL-wire in the cabin, orange engine cover, orange painted grille protectors and orange led light in engine bay✌️😎

Comment

Originally posted by jagtoes View Post
            Spider or Spyder ?

Comment

Originally posted by Top Off Action View Post

Spyder generally the more accepted spelling. Spider is mainly Italian cars, as they have no “y” in their alphabet.

Most rumors point toward the term Spyder come from a visual interpretation of cloth roofs on small carriages from the old days. An interim solution if it started raining and you wanted to protect your cargo. Makes sense since the tie down makes it look like a web!

So it would be quite a stretch to call a HTC a Spyder
              U can learn all kinds of things being on this forum. Great history lesson.....I was not aware of any of that!
              2LT z51 coupe, Red Mist, mag ride, front lift, NCM delivery, etc.
              Ordered 7/11/20, 2000= 3/18/21, 3000=3/24/21, TPW=7/5/21, Built=7/8/21, NCM delivery=7/22/21

2004 Z06, machine silver
              2016 Ducati xDiavel S, black
              2016 Can Am Spyder F-3, pearl white

Comment

Hard Top Convertible describes precisely what it is. A Spider is a frying pan to many of us in the US, and an insect to the rest.
                Convertible delivered 9/11/20 — Long Beach Red/Natural, 3LT, Z51, FE4 Suspension, E60 Front Lift, FA5 Carbon Fiber Trim, Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents, 5ZZ High Wing, D84 Carbon Flash Top & Nacelles, ZYC Carbon Flash Mirrors, 3N9 Tan Belts, VQK Splash Guards.

Comment

Probably the same reason the coupe is not called a Targa

Comment

Originally posted by Z06_Pilot View Post

U can learn all kinds of things being on this forum. Great history lesson.....I was not aware of any of that!
                    I don’t believe there are any Italian words that use the letter “k” either! They use “ch” for the “k” sound.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X