European C8s Front Lift will also feature saved GPS locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European C8s Front Lift will also feature saved GPS locations

UPDATE: Harlan just informed me that the original thread title that front lift does not work in Europe is incorrect, that it will save there as in North America. And also that the horsepower numbers announced at that Euro reveal are not correct.

Chevrolet Europe hosted a few livestreams this weekend to show european customers what to expect from the C8 here. I already posted the power reduction we get thanks to the GPF. In the streams they tried to asked a few questions from the viewers.

In one german stream the question was raised if the european C8 will also save the GPS locations when using the front lift. Interestingly the EU C8 will NOT have this feature. So if you order Front LIft you always have to manually activate and deactivate it. Saving your driveway or speedbumps is not possible. I think this a pretty big downgrade for the feature which still costs about $2,400 extra here

Other interesting points in the stream were direct conflicts to earliert statements about the C8: According the Chevy Europe the C8 does not enhance the V8 sound through the speakers, they even called it a misinformation. They also said the LT2 engine does not share a single component with the LT1 engine from C7 / Camaro6, which also contradicts what I've read about the LT2.

They also confirmed that UK customers will get the same EU model with GPF, reduced power, etc.

That is disappointing. You can't imagine why, there are satellites in Europe, there doesn't seem a logical reason to drop it. Interesting that front lift will be standard in Australia, I now wonder which version.

Thanks for the information

Comment

Europeans are obsessed with privacy and probably don't want anything documenting where they've been. But, on the other hand, cell phones.

Comment

Originally posted by Gee View Post
        That is disappointing. You can't imagine why, there are satellites in Europe, there doesn't seem a logical reason to drop it. Interesting that front lift will be standard in Australia, I now wonder which version.

Thanks for the information
        There's probably some regulatory burden that they would have to deal with or some other challenge outside of the car's abilities to do it.
        2LT Coupe, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue, GT2 seats, Edge Red Calipers and engine cover, Mag Ride, Front Lift, High Wing spoiler, R8C, American Hydrocarbon 5VM kit, museum delivery.

2000 status 5/1, 3000 on 5/4, 3300 on 8/4, 3400 on 8/11, #18 off the line on 8/23, delivered 9/10.

Well worth the wait, the car is amazing!

Comment

Odd about the enhanced sound, since the statement that it did came directly from a member of the Corvette team. It's possible that feature has been disabled for Europe, but this statement is directly contradicting a prior statement by GM.

And I'm pretty sure the statement on the LT2 vs. LT1 is just wrong. I wonder if the German spokesperson is just misinformed.
          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Davii1775 View Post

There's probably some regulatory burden that they would have to deal with or some other challenge outside of the car's abilities to do it.
            That's my guess on that too. But I am not quite understanding why saving GPS data would conflict any privacy laws, since the navigation still is able to save your last destinations without problems.

Comment

Europe has it's own GPS system, called Galileo. There may be a regulatory requirement to use that, rather than the US GPS system, and GM isn't interested in sourcing all new hardware and software for what will be a pretty small number of sales.

Just speculating.
              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

If the Euros, The Aussiees , the Chinese , The Japanese etc stc all like this car then they will want them and the C8 shortage MAY GET ORSE foar another two years. And forget about seeing a ZO6

Comment

Originally posted by ZORA 69 View Post
                  If the Euros, The Aussiees , the Chinese , The Japanese etc stc all like this car then they will want them and the C8 shortage MAY GET ORSE foar another two years. And forget about seeing a ZO6
                  I doubt that the amount of export models are conflicting the capacities for US models. Their numbers are pretty compared to NA sales.

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                  Europe has it's own GPS system, called Galileo. There may be a regulatory requirement to use that, rather than the US GPS system, and GM isn't interested in sourcing all new hardware and software for what will be a pretty small number of sales.

Just speculating.
                  Yeah, maybe there is a restriction what a carmaker is allowed to use the GPS data for or they would have pay a lincence to use them for gimmicky stuff.

Comment

I agree with Ace on the shortage, Australians are being told we will get 200 for the whole year, about 4 per dealer. Or about a days production, probably a worthwhile delay from GM's viewpoint to seed a whole new market.

Comment

That significantly reduces the value of front lift. I definitely would not buy it for a non-z51. I've found my C8 Z51 clearance to be better than my C6 Z51 even before activating lift.

Europe has it's own GPS system, called Galileo. There may be a regulatory requirement to use that, rather than the US GPS system...
                      A bit off topic, but do our phones use the EU GPS too? We've used US purchased phones all over the world with Google Maps. Does it switch to another constellation to comply with local rules when we travel, or if it can get a better signal in an urban area?
                      2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
                        A bit off topic, but do our phones use the EU GPS too? We've used US purchased phones all over the world with Google Maps. Does it switch to another constellation to comply with local rules when we travel, or if it can get a better signal in an urban area?
                        All the GPS systems (Russia has it's own system too, I think) are global systems. The satellites cover the entire globe. So every system will work everywhere. If you buy a US spec phone, it's going to use the US GPS system. No country could prevent you from using the US (or any other system) regardless of where you are. But they could regulate what you can buy in that country. So Samsung phones sold in Europe might use Galileo (I don't know for sure) while the "same" phone sold in the US uses our system, and one sold in Russia might use the Russian satellites. All of them will work anywhere in the world, since the satellites cover the entire globe.

Comment

All the GPS systems (Russia has it's own system too, I think) are global systems. The satellites cover the entire globe. So every system will work everywhere. If you buy a US spec phone, it's going to use the US GPS system. No country could prevent you from using the US (or any other system) regardless of where you are. But they could regulate what you can buy in that country. So Samsung phones sold in Europe might use Galileo (I don't know for sure) while the "same" phone sold in the US uses our system, and one sold in Russia might use the Russian satellites. All of them will work anywhere in the world, since the satellites cover the entire globe.
                          Years ago I worked on behalf of NASA dealing with litigation over launching satellites from the Shuttle and in-orbit satellite fuel life issues, so I have the basics of orbital mechanics covered. I was just curious if Samsung and Apple, for example, build phones for Europe to use their system or simply use the same GPS receiver and software everywhere (to the extent the GPS system is not covered by technology transfer restrictions or not permitted by local law).
                          2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                            I doubt that the amount of export models are conflicting the capacities for US models. Their numbers are pretty compared to NA sales.

Yeah, maybe there is a restriction what a carmaker is allowed to use the GPS data for or they would have pay a lincence to use them for gimmicky stuff.
                            Who knows what the sales are going to be. I think it is silly to predict that these cars will have low export numbers. Whatever the export numbers are, every car going overseas is one less car here. Conservative figures are 3000 to 5000 cars a year . There is only one BGA to build the cars.

Comment

Hi, all... Corvette team here. I didn't get a chance to watch any of the livestreams this weekend but I can tell you that it is 100% not true that the Front Lift memory feature has been deactivated for Europe. It's still there. It has been tested. Life is good.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X