Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast With Kai Spande BGA Manager

On this episode of CORVETTE TODAY, you get to meet the Corvette Plant Manager for the Bowling Green Assembly Plant, Kai Spande!
Your host, Steve Garrett, introduces you to Kai as he traces his career with GM. Kai talks about how the Bowling Green Assembly Plant transitioned from the front engine, C7 Corvette, to the mid-engine C8 Corvette. You'll get insights on the plant expansion and how they made that all happen...giving the new C8 Corvette a true state-of-the-art build facility. Kai also tells you about the Corvettes he has owned and the funny story of how he loved Corvettes, but never thought he'd get to work for it during his tenure at GM. Get to personally know Corvette Plant Manager, Kai Spande, on this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!

Listen here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCRn-2X0SjjEXUt_...
Get CORVETTE TODAY emails: https://CorvetteToday.ck.page
CORVETTE TODAY Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2718423201763136
NEW!!! Get CORVETTE TODAY merchandise here: https://www.agpestores.com//lanmarxgraphix/grouppr...
See more
See less

Why the Fascination with Adaptive Cruise Control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with those who don't get it...of zero value IMO. Yet another unnecessary feature, in the race for ever more complex technology.
    '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
    '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
    '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
    '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
    '14 Black Z51 Coupe
    '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe
    '20 ... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels - Delivered 10/1/20😀

Comment

Originally posted by jagtoes View Post

I'm pretty much with you guys here. Maybe if they had a function where you could turn it off and use regular CC it would work for those who like it and those who don't. I've had similar experiences with ACC and would never buy it as an option. Just a note I usually always use my CC when out in the car. Sometimes in 30 mph zones so it's not that I dislike CC. Once again just a personal opinion.
      GM vehicles give you this option. You can switch between regular CC and ACC in vehicles so equipped.

It's a requisite stepping stone to the self driving future.
      On Order: 2LT Coupe, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue, GT2 seats, Edge Red Calipers, Mag Ride, Front Lift, High Wing spoiler, R8C museum delivery.

2000 status 5/1, 3000 on 5/4

Comment

I didn't understand the demand either until my SO got a new car with that feature. She loves it and uses it all the time, even in town at low speeds.

It is a stress reliever for some especially during the commutes when traffic gets dense.

I expect to see this feature on the E-Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by 73shark View Post

I remember reading a few years ago that due to airbags, 10 n 2 should now be 8 n 4 to minimize arm injury. 🤔
          9 and 3 is the new 10 and 2. Spring Ranch teaches this and does a good job of demonstrating why it's superior.
          Your hands now fall naturally to the position on the Squircle.
          8 and 4 would be impossible if your seat and steering wheel are set at the correct height. Also they would have the same draw backs as the obsolete 10 and 2.

Comment

I'm a huge proponent for ACC and probably made one of the threads OP is talking about. Here's my take;

I hear people on this sub talk about how 'muh c8 is a drivers car, why don't you drive it'. First of all, all cars are drivers cars, you shouldn't be on the road if you enter a car and turn off your senses. At the same time i understand people who've had bad experiences with ACC, it's not a standard technology and every manufacturer/vendor has a different approach to it that could rub people the wrong way. A common theme in this thread is ACC leaves too much space. While space is subjective, this is not an ACC drawback (i.e. it's not a reason to be against ACC as this is programmed for safety reasons). Another point on this is space is a good thing. I'd implore you to take a look at what happens when you rush over to the next bumper and brake in traffic.

As someone with a C8 as a daily driver -yes we exist - traffic and monotonous drives are not fun. No matter how good the driving dynamics are, constantly switching between braking and accelerating on a long straight for 20mins and only making headway for 2 miles is not fun. There's no way around boring drives when you drive a car so much, and here's where ACC helps immensely. With the reception of blind spot tech and cross traffic alert, i'm surprised there's even pushback about ACC.

Comment

I've used ACC in two rentals. One, a Subaru, worked pretty well and was handy on long stretches of 2 lane highway. The other, in a small Buick SUV, was god-awful, jerkily accelerating and decelerating in response to the slightest inputs. I turned that one off.
              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Current C7: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black overDaytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I think Tadge has been VERY clear that adaptive cruise will NOT be on a Corvette as long as he's in charge, so there's that.

Comment

Actually, to this point, one book that I found to be surprisingly interesting is called "Traffic: Why We Drive the Way we Do" and looks at all different kinds of driver behaviors and traffic implications, as well as various traffic experiments that have been done. Pretty fascinating actually, especially for those who have significant commutes. The book is a decade old but still relevant.

https://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive.../dp/0307277194

Comment

I certainly don't want adaptive cruise ever. Just like I would not want that ridiculous "auto-pilot" they put in the Teslas. when it comes to the actual mechanics of driving, I don't want the car doing too much on it's own. straight cruise control, I know what to expect at all times because I set it for that speed. Operating a C8 in auto transmission mode, same thing-don't want it :-)

Now, auto-sensing wipers? I'll take it. Wow, it is fantastic. My wife has it on her Mini Cooper JCW. I thought that was a silly idea until I used them. You never have to adjust auto wipers faster/slower by hand again. I was disappointed to learn, while reading through the C8 owners guide, that the C8 does not have this. I heard Harlan or someone say that it would have made the area around the rear view mirror/camera area too busy, so they didn't do it.
                    2LT z51 coupe, Red Mist, mag ride, front lift, NCM delivery, etc.
                    Ordered 7/11/20, 2000= 3/18/21, 3000=3/24/21, TPW=7/5/21

2004 Z06, machine silver
                    2016 Ducati xDiavel S, black
                    2016 Can Am Spyder F-3, pearl white

Comment

Originally posted by Denizen View Post

9 and 3 is the new 10 and 2. Spring Ranch teaches this and does a good job of demonstrating why it's superior.
                      Your hands now fall naturally to the position on the Squircle.
                      8 and 4 would be impossible if your seat and steering wheel are set at the correct height. Also they would have the same draw backs as the obsolete 10 and 2.
                      The article I was referring to was written back in the 90s just as airbags were becoming widespread and long before the square steering wheel became de rigueur.
                      Save the wave.

Comment

Have had it on three BMW’s... X5s and the i8... There are times (10-20%) when its nice to have... Like when the Queen’s watching the speed O Meter and complaining I might be pressing envelope a bit. So if it’s available on the C8... You bet I will have it....
                        202(1 or 2) Arctic White HTC Z51 with all the Goodies 😎

Comment

No desire for it here. I understand how you feel about it. If they offer it I hope it is an option.
                          There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
                          2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                          79 coupe Silver/oyster
                          All one owner
                          Museum lifetime members

Comment

My F250 has it, and my wife's range rover has it... I LOVE IT!!! I use it all the time.. I mean all the time. Both cars leave a acceptable gap on the lowest setting, and works very well. I was totally bumed when I found out the C8 didn't have it. It should be an option. If you don't want it, don't get it. And even if you have it, you can still choose normal CC instead of ACC. Don't know why they wouldn't even offer it as an option.
                            3000 - 3/1/2021. 3400 - 5/24/2021. Built 6/14/21. Still awaiting delivery.
                            3LT Red Mist HTC. Jet Black Interior w/Red stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors
                            Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
                            Adding AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, mirror caps, and front grill inserts.

Comment

I’ve had it most of my cars for the past 10 years and it does exactly what it claims to which is keep you a set distance from the guy who keeps changing his speed in front of you. If he’s going too slow just pass him like you would normally. It’s not going to drive the car for you. I can set ACC to be closer than I honestly feel comfortable with. Every ACC offers an old style cruise control option and if you don’t want to use it just don’t turn it on.

I’m indifferent about it being on the Vette but I’d opt for it if it were offered. Not all of us oniy drive on fun twisty mountain roads. Some of us actually get stuck in rush hour traffic when driving becomes a chore.

Comment

Originally posted by Plasboy View Post
                                No desire for it here. I understand how you feel about it. If they offer it I hope it is an option.
                                every single car that has ACC still alows you to use normal CC if you so desire. So even if it came standard on the C8 with a certain trim level, you could still use normal CC.
                                3000 - 3/1/2021. 3400 - 5/24/2021. Built 6/14/21. Still awaiting delivery.
                                3LT Red Mist HTC. Jet Black Interior w/Red stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors
                                Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
                                Adding AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, mirror caps, and front grill inserts.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X