Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast With Kai Spande BGA Manager

On this episode of CORVETTE TODAY, you get to meet the Corvette Plant Manager for the Bowling Green Assembly Plant, Kai Spande!
Your host, Steve Garrett, introduces you to Kai as he traces his career with GM. Kai talks about how the Bowling Green Assembly Plant transitioned from the front engine, C7 Corvette, to the mid-engine C8 Corvette. You'll get insights on the plant expansion and how they made that all happen...giving the new C8 Corvette a true state-of-the-art build facility. Kai also tells you about the Corvettes he has owned and the funny story of how he loved Corvettes, but never thought he'd get to work for it during his tenure at GM. Get to personally know Corvette Plant Manager, Kai Spande, on this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!

Listen here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCRn-2X0SjjEXUt_...
Get CORVETTE TODAY emails: https://CorvetteToday.ck.page
CORVETTE TODAY Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2718423201763136
NEW!!! Get CORVETTE TODAY merchandise here: https://www.agpestores.com//lanmarxgraphix/grouppr...
See more
See less

Why the Fascination with Adaptive Cruise Control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Fascination with Adaptive Cruise Control?

I'm just curious; I've seen multiple posts over the last few months about adaptive cruise control (ACC) and some people's strong desire for its presence on the C8. Honestly, I just don't get it and am very interested in understanding what I'm missing.

I've had the feature in several past vehicles and I end up never using it as it just causes me frustration. Maybe I drive too aggressively, but it always seems to leave too much distance (even on the most aggressive setting) between my car and the one in front of me, prompting cars in any type of medium traffic situation to cut in front of me, which the ACC then adapts to by slowing my vehicle down further to recreate the previous gap.

Similarly, when approaching a slower vehicle in your lane that you intend to pass, the ACC -- rather than allowing for gradual acceleration to switch lanes and overtake the lead vehicle -- slows down the car at the exact time you want to maintain or increase speed.

I've never found any usefulness for this feature in any sort of traffic situation and even in an empty road scenario, standard cruise control is seemingly all one would need.

The only scenario I've ever found ACC to be useful is when I'm actively following a specific vehicle on the way to a destination. In those cases I can 'set it and forget it,' following the lead car at a consistent pace without worrying about tailgating or falling too far back.

What am I missing?

I use and like it on our daily driver, our RAV4 Prime. It is adjustable there (easily) and we adjust its “keep behind” distance on traffic flow, etc. But I do not personally want it on my Corvette.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I've never had or used it, but I feel your pain.

Comment

To me, after using adaptive cruise control, basic cruise control seems antiquated. Aggressive drivers coming over into small gaps will always be a nuisance.
        I find it useful even in stop and go traffic. Of course, there are times when no cruise control is useful. If it were in the Corvette, I’m sure I’d find a use for it at times.
        Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

I wonder if that'll be offered as a subscription feature at some point.
          C8 ELB HTC, Z51
          MM deposit Oct. 2020, Status: 3300 (TPW 6/28/21)
          Suburban Chevrolet deposit Aug. 2019. Status:cancelled Apr. 2021 due to no progress after 20 months.
          Current: Saturn Sky Redline, many performance enhancements

Comment

To each his own. Have it on other car and love it

Comment

Being the Control Freek I am, there's no fascination for me, just another cool option.

I enjoy being at 10-n-2
              [Current Corvette 1999 C5 Z51 Magnetic Red Coupe]

Comment

I had it on a previous vehicle and really disliked it. Some of the dislike was similar to sanger's where other drivers would pull into gaps larger than I would normally leave during highway cruising. In my previous experience, that would not only cause a deceleration to increase the gap back to where it was, but that system would actually apply the brakes - very annoying! My other peeve was when approaching a slower car on a four lane highway, if I was not paying close attention at all times to my speed, I would eventually notice I was following the other car at a significantly slower speed than I had set in my cruise control - also annoying! The only practical use I found for it was when on a two lane highway when it was useful to avoid having to deactivate the cruise until you reach a safe passing zone. Even that slight benefit did not make me turn it on very often. YMMV as I readily admit I am fairly easily annoyed by many of the idiots that can pass the driving test in this country and immediately forget all the safety, not to mention etiquette, lessons they learned to get their license.

Furthermore, I really do not think it is necessary in the C8. I used cruise quite extensively in my C7 to prevent a serious case of speed limit abuse. I found it very difficult to cruise the highway in the C7 at a steady (near posted) speed limit with manual (pedal?) control whereas it seems quite easy in the C8 and I seldom use the cruise control at all.
                3LT Torch Red/Adrenaline Red, Z51, MSRC

Comment

I agree with you 100% sanger, We have had it on several cars now and ACC frustrates me too. I drive a lot of miles and in many different traffic situations. I find I now rarely use CC in cars I drive with ACC for the exact reasons you mention. The only time I sort of like it is cars that have had autonomous lane keeping functions too.

Comment

Originally posted by Lacquer View Post
                    I agree with you 100% sanger, We have had it on several cars now and ACC frustrates me too. I drive a lot of miles and in many different traffic situations. I find I now rarely use CC in cars I drive with ACC for the exact reasons you mention. The only time I sort of like it is cars that have had autonomous lane keeping functions too.
                    I'm pretty much with you guys here. Maybe if they had a function where you could turn it off and use regular CC it would work for those who like it and those who don't. I've had similar experiences with ACC and would never buy it as an option. Just a note I usually always use my CC when out in the car. Sometimes in 30 mph zones so it's not that I dislike CC. Once again just a personal opinion.

Comment

Some vehicles behave better than others with ACC. I have a Tesla Model X as my daily driver and it's Autopilot is really just a fancy ACC. It does a really good job though of maintaining the distance and doesn't slow down massively when someone pulls in way ahead of you like the ACC in my wife's Toyota Highlander or my daughter's Subaru Forester do.

If it was available to order on my C8, I would do so. Would I use it as much as I do on the other cars, likely not.

John
                      HTC Z51 Red Mist
                      Deposit 01/21/21
                      2000 04/14/21
                      3000 04/20/21
                      TPW 08/09/21

Comment

My husband doesn't like it, but I do. I even have it on my Porsche. It's great to keep from speeding too much and on the slow-moving Blue Ridge Parkway here in western NC. (God, it hurts my feeling to go 33 mph (invariably behind a Prius)!🤣
                        On the highway, if I want to close the gap, I just press on & then the ACC resumes when I am done.

Comment

I have it on my Subaru and I use it a lot in light traffic on the highway. For long trips, it is quite nice to have. Probably the only extra thing I would have ordered on my C8.
                          2021 HTC 2LT, NPP, Mag ride

Comment

We have ACC on our family car and seldom use it. I've used it a few times but also don't like it for the reasons mentioned. I really think that it boils down to whether the ACC mimics your driving style. Mine is too different, so it's not for me. However, I've seen many drivers on the road that drive like that, so they'd be comfortable with it.
                            Last edited by shiumai; 05-04-2021, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plentyfast View Post
                              Being the Control Freek I am, there's no fascination for me, just another cool option.

I enjoy being at 10-n-2
                              I remember reading a few years ago that due to airbags, 10 n 2 should now be 8 n 4 to minimize arm injury. 🤔
                              Save the wave.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X