Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: TONS OF NEWS THIS WEEK

We've been doing Corvette news & headlines podcasts on CORVETTE TODAY since September 2020. I don't remember ever doing a news & headlines podcast with this much critical information packed into one podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/show/...ppfrkBCyZstwdl. This is a "must listen" to podcast. Here are a few of the topics covered in this episode....

1. Chevrolet confirms the introduction this Fall of the 2023 C8 Z06 with a new video release-and it sounds like a Ferrari
2. Corvette dominates sales in Q2 2021
3. Chevy dealerships have received their first 2022 C8 allocations
4. Callaway looks ahead to 2022 and the Callaway C8 Corvette
5. Right-hand drive C8 is revealed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK
6. New GT-3 spec C8.R expected in 2024
7. California will start failing cars with tuned ECU’s during smog checks
8. The National Corvette Museum delivers their 14,000th Corvette
9. A couple exchanges wedding vows before taking delivery of their C8 at the NCM
10. "Life in the Fast Lane" by The Eagles is a story of cocaine and a fast Corvette
11. Sigala Designs shows off a completed widebody kit for the C8
See more
See less

Dead battery within 6 hours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by improviz View Post

You, sir, are a Prince among men! Disconnecting the neg cable was definitely The Ticket: it is now charging happily, both I and my C8 thank you! I'm keeping it at 2A for now, will probably jump up to 10A a bit later on if it doesn't give me any issues, unless of course someone here thinks this is a Very Bad Idea
    I'm glad it worked. I'm correct 50% of the time, glad this was one of those times. I also bought a Noco Quick Jump from my dealer just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by JustOneMore View Post

I'm glad it worked. I'm correct 50% of the time, glad this was one of those times. I also bought a Noco Quick Jump from my dealer just in case.
      The emergency starter is a good thing. I have carried a small jump starter for years. Its also a light and you can charge your phone and about the size of about half of a normal novel. Charlie aka cutnout

Comment

So far, so good. The battery did successfully, fully charge after disconnecting the negative cable (which is really weird: none of my previous cars ever needed one to disconnect the negative cable..). Tomorrow morning will reattach and see what happens, will definitely keep the battery shroud off until I know it's not going to die on me.

Does anyone know how to stop an OTA, assuming it tries to run the **** thing again once it gets power?

Comment

So far, so good. The battery did successfully, fully charge after disconnecting the negative cable (which is really weird: none of my previous cars ever needed one to disconnect the negative cable..). Tomorrow morning will reattach and see what happens, will definitely keep the battery shroud off until I know it's not going to die on me.

Does anyone know how to stop an OTA, assuming it tries to run the **** thing again once it gets power?
          Is there a "cancel" option button?
          2021 2LT HTC, front lift, MRCS, GT2 natural Napa 2 tone seats, Perf. exh and all wrapped in Red Mist metallic, lowered w/Paragon collars and riding on BC Forged wheels 😎
          Delivered 1/26/21 VIN 00921

Comment

I don't remember how I got to it, but by playing with the buttons, you get an option to DECLINE. Once you decline, only the dealer can update it.

Comment

Originally posted by MidLife View Post

Is there a "cancel" option button?
              Not sure....I know you can decline it when it initially informs you of it and asks if you'd like to accept it, but the problem is I did accept it a few weeks back, and it's been trying to install it ever since, which I suspect is what did my battery in. So I'll see if I can go into the menu for updates and find an abort option or something like that, fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockmark View Post
                I don't understand what's so different about a C8 that it needs to be on life support when not driven daily. I'm used to leaving cars at the airport for weeks at a time without a thought of not starting when need be. I don't like these reports at all.
                The C8 is fine and the batteries are fine (with rare exceptions like any car). You don't need to plug it in when not in use. You can let it sit for days or weeks like any other car.

The OTA updates, particularly this last one, are causing these issues with dead batteries. The battery is just doing what the OTA update is requiring of it.

Unfortunately the solution appears to be to decline OTA updates, which isn't optimal as one of them might actually be important.

It would be nice to know if GM is aware of this issue and taking steps to address it?

Comment

The saga continues: hooked it back up and now I've got a check engine light....dammit. Hopefully it will go away after a few drives, but I get a feeling it's destined for yet another dealer visit. Love the car but getting very tired of this stuff...

Comment

The saga continues: hooked it back up and now I've got a check engine light....dammit. Hopefully it will go away after a few drives, but I get a feeling it's destined for yet another dealer visit. Love the car but getting very tired of this stuff...
                    Good news: took out for a few short drives yesterday and to run an errand today. When I started up to drive home after running the errand, the check engine light went away, so probably emissions/calibration related due to battery disconnect. Bad news: the CTEK charger is either defective or the battery is going bad: I plugged it in a few moments ago and it registered 50%, this after a full charge less than 48 hours ago. So either the CTEK is defective or I've got a battery problem (or something else is draining current like crazy even when the car is off).

Comment

Good news: took out for a few short drives yesterday and to run an errand today. When I started up to drive home after running the errand, the check engine light went away, so probably emissions/calibration related due to battery disconnect. Bad news: the CTEK charger is either defective or the battery is going bad: I plugged it in a few moments ago and it registered 50%, this after a full charge less than 48 hours ago. So either the CTEK is defective or I've got a battery problem (or something else is draining current like crazy even when the car is off).
                      Can you try the CTEK on another car? If it reads as expected on that car, get your C8 to the dealer to have the battery checked. If the CTEK still reads only 50%, time to see about replacing it. (If it came with your C8, the dealer may handle that, too.)
                      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I actually just bought it the other day. Would it work in any car's lighter plug?

Comment

I don’t think the CTEK charger icons are for battery status. I have a C8 branded CTEK and a CTEK MXS 5.0 which are both CTEK model 1090. The lights are totally different between the two. The MXS 5.0 lights indicate where in the 8 step charging cycle you are while the C8 one just has the 4 “battery” icons.

The manual for the C8 version simply says “Follow the indication lamps through the charging process. The battery is ready to start the engine when (third battery icon) is lit. The battery is fully charged when (fourth battery icon) is lit.”

The manual for the MXS 5.0 says “Follow the 8-step display through the charging process. The battery is ready to start the engine when STEP 4 is lit. The battery is fully charged when STEP 7 is lit.”

I think the C8 version always starts on the first or second icon and when it has completed STEP 4 it lights the 3rd, STEP 7 lights the 4th. I’m not sure why they chose the empty, half, three quarters and full icons as they are not really the state of the battery. And mine does the same thing when I plug it in, even right after a drive, it starts on the first or second icon then eventually progresses to the 3rd and 4th. I don’t think there is anything wrong with your charger, they just didn’t design the lights very well. It’s completing it’s 8 step cycle.

Well technically it’s a 7 step cycle unless it sits so long that the battery voltage drops. Step 8 is “charge cycle restarts if voltage drops.”
                          Last edited by 16falcon; 06-17-2021, 07:15 PM. Reason: Added quote

Comment

I agree with 16falcon. My CTEK (ordered with car) goes thru the same process. After the initial total failure of my battery, and charging it overnight (with NOCO charger) I had my dealer run a check on the battery, no issues with it. I know how you feel every time something doesn't seem quite right, but I think your getting gun shy w/o any reason to, at least I hope that's the case.

Comment

I actually just bought it the other day. Would it work in any car's lighter plug?
                              Most lighter sockets are only live if the cars ignition is on. But 16falcon is right. If you thought it was 50% because the 4th light was on, then things are probably OK.
                              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Hi guys - actually when I plugged it in, was only the second light that was on. After an hour or so it was the third, and then after several more hours the fourth. Concern I have is that some other phenomenon (including possibly a bad battery) caused the sudden drain out, not the OTA so just keeping a close eye on it.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X